Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back to the battery discussion... I’ve read almost all of the 80 something pages of this thread and am wondering why my 2021 M3P collected on 18 Dec shows a full battery indicating roundabout 300 miles (that’s both extrapolated at 100% charge)... anyone else have this figure? I was expecting somewhere close to 353.

I called Tesla and feel like they fobbed me off stating that the range next to the battery symbol is impacted by many variables... that’s not what this thread seems to suggest.

Reactions: Npap
Back to the battery discussion... I’ve read almost all of the 80 something pages of this thread and am wondering why my 2021 M3P collected on 18 Dec shows a full battery indicating roundabout 300 miles (that’s both extrapolated at 100% charge)... anyone else have this figure? I was expecting somewhere close to 353.

I called Tesla and feel like they fobbed me off stating that the range next to the battery symbol is impacted by many variables... that’s not what this thread seems to suggest.
If you got the latest SW update then they're supposedly taking more variables into account.
Also, the 353 miles is the WLTP number, the rated range in the car is EPA, and subtracted the buffer (below 0% SoC).
It's the same for my car (collected 22nd Dec), 305 miles at 100%
The range on EVs are usually like the average consumption on ICE vehicles, the listed number is what you get under ideal conditions.

If you got the latest SW update then they're supposedly taking more variables into account.
Also, the 353 miles is the WLTP number, the rated range in the car is EPA, and subtracted the buffer (below 0% SoC).
It's the same for my car (collected 22nd Dec), 305 miles at 100%
The range on EVs are usually like the average consumption on ICE vehicles, the listed number is what you get under ideal conditions.
Thanks, that’s reassuring. I get that the number doesn’t really mean anything and I generally don’t display it, just concerned it was way lower than other M3s.

Thanks, that’s reassuring. I get that the number doesn’t really mean anything and I generally don’t display it, just concerned it was way lower than other M3s.
I think it's within the accepted range.
Can be hard to get used to if you're coming from cars that don't limit max charge by default. "Missing" 50 miles because of optimistic numbers seems really bad, but when one of the Norwegian motor magazines (called Motor) tested EVs the numbers were pretty good. Here is a (google) translated version:
Google Translate

Specifically for the TM3:
Google Translate

• Informative
Reactions: OttoR
How about the 4.5% Buffer? Then you have your EPA range number. The E3D Long Range shows EPA + Buffer. E5D shows EPA incl. Buffer. Without any degradation.

If i try to say it differently, just to be sure:
-for E5D LR2021,display in car is about 543km, buffer include.
- for E3D LR2021 display in car is about 545km maximum (it seems to me and i could be wrong), buffer not include. Some E3D LR2021 display only 535km buffer is not include too.

Also have a look at this discussion:
2021 Model 3 - Charge data

It seems like there are two types of batteries for long range and performance at the moment...

Also have a look at this discussion:
2021 Model 3 - Charge data

It seems like there are two types of batteries for long range and performance at the moment...
Yeah, I saw that and hoping that isn’t the case! Thanks for the link.

Having done the maths on the energy app numbers... adding 4.5% means the numbers add up to pretty much exactly 82kwh... so hopefully all M3Ps having the bigger battery is correct.

I think it's within the accepted range.
Can be hard to get used to if you're coming from cars that don't limit max charge by default. "Missing" 50 miles because of optimistic numbers seems really bad, but when one of the Norwegian motor magazines (called Motor) tested EVs the numbers were pretty good. Here is a (google) translated version:
Google Translate

Specifically for the TM3:
Google Translate
Cheers, I’m at Tesla having the charge port fixed next week so will try and get some sense out of a technician and compare to other M3s they have (that I can look at).

Interesting, thanks. He also talks about rated range and constants... this doesn’t appear to be how my displayed range is calculated (~300 at 100% - 2021 M3P)
You have a M3P, that is a special case. The video is mostly about the LR AWD. It seems the M3Ps got the bigger 80+ Panasonic batteries, but might not be all.

I would get myself scan my tesla dongle and test it. That will be the only sure way to know more about the battery. The only other way is to drive from 100% to about 0%, on one go at somewhat steady speeds and then write down the kWh used since last charge in the consumption tab.
diagnostic adapter cable - Tesla M3 (>01/2019) bundle version - EMDS

Last edited: