TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. TMC is currently READ ONLY.
    Click here for more info.

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by captain_sahaj, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Tommy59

Tommy59 Member

Yes, it's the same in Sweden. My deposit was extracted from the final payment.

• Like x 1
  2. Npap

Npap Member

Even with EPA, EPA says 353 miles which is 565km not 545. Am I missing something?

3. No42

No42 Member

Not sure if this has been already posted.
    Really informative comparison of old and new performance wheels.

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 2
  4. eivissa

eivissa Member

How about the 4.5% Buffer? Then you have your EPA range number. The E3D Long Range shows EPA + Buffer. E5D shows EPA incl. Buffer. Without any degradation.

5. Npap

Npap Member

If this is the case, it is a "dirty" trick from Tesla, but makes sense number wise.

• Like x 1
  6. Protect1989

Protect1989 Member

For the newest software update, where are people plugging in their USB drives with the custom audio for Boombox?

Is the only USB A located in the glovebox (used for sentry mode)?

7. DonkeyKong81

DonkeyKong81 Member

Back to the battery discussion... I’ve read almost all of the 80 something pages of this thread and am wondering why my 2021 M3P collected on 18 Dec shows a full battery indicating roundabout 300 miles (that’s both extrapolated at 100% charge)... anyone else have this figure? I was expecting somewhere close to 353.

I called Tesla and feel like they fobbed me off stating that the range next to the battery symbol is impacted by many variables... that’s not what this thread seems to suggest.

• Like x 1
  8. Marius A

Marius A Member

If you got the latest SW update then they're supposedly taking more variables into account.
    Also, the 353 miles is the WLTP number, the rated range in the car is EPA, and subtracted the buffer (below 0% SoC).
    It's the same for my car (collected 22nd Dec), 305 miles at 100%
    The range on EVs are usually like the average consumption on ICE vehicles, the listed number is what you get under ideal conditions.

9. DonkeyKong81

DonkeyKong81 Member

Thanks, that’s reassuring. I get that the number doesn’t really mean anything and I generally don’t display it, just concerned it was way lower than other M3s.

10. Marius A

Marius A Member

I think it's within the accepted range.
    Can be hard to get used to if you're coming from cars that don't limit max charge by default. "Missing" 50 miles because of optimistic numbers seems really bad, but when one of the Norwegian motor magazines (called Motor) tested EVs the numbers were pretty good. Here is a (google) translated version:
    Google Translate

Specifically for the TM3:
    Google Translate

• Informative x 1
  11. FredMt

FredMt Member

If i try to say it differently, just to be sure:
    -for E5D LR2021,display in car is about 543km, buffer include.
    - for E3D LR2021 display in car is about 545km maximum (it seems to me and i could be wrong), buffer not include. Some E3D LR2021 display only 535km buffer is not include too.

• Like x 1
  12. Npap

Npap Member

Also have a look at this discussion:
    2021 Model 3 - Charge data

It seems like there are two types of batteries for long range and performance at the moment...

13. DonkeyKong81

DonkeyKong81 Member

Yeah, I saw that and hoping that isn’t the case! Thanks for the link.

Having done the maths on the energy app numbers... adding 4.5% means the numbers add up to pretty much exactly 82kwh... so hopefully all M3Ps having the bigger battery is correct.

14. DonkeyKong81

DonkeyKong81 Member

Cheers, I’m at Tesla having the charge port fixed next week so will try and get some sense out of a technician and compare to other M3s they have (that I can look at).

• Like x 1
  15. Npap

Npap Member

Please let us know if you manage to learn something

16. TimothyHW3

TimothyHW3 Member

For anyone wondering what types of batteries there are in the Model 3 LR and P in Europe.

• Like x 2
  17. DonkeyKong81

DonkeyKong81 Member

Interesting, thanks. He also talks about rated range and constants... this doesn’t appear to be how my displayed range is calculated (~300 at 100% - 2021 M3P)

18. TimothyHW3

TimothyHW3 Member

#1598 TimothyHW3, Dec 29, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    You have a M3P, that is a special case. The video is mostly about the LR AWD. It seems the M3Ps got the bigger 80+ Panasonic batteries, but might not be all.

I would get myself scan my tesla dongle and test it. That will be the only sure way to know more about the battery. The only other way is to drive from 100% to about 0%, on one go at somewhat steady speeds and then write down the kWh used since last charge in the consumption tab.
    diagnostic adapter cable - Tesla M3 (>01/2019) bundle version - EMDS

19. Murattukaalai

Murattukaalai Member

Any model 3 manufactured after dec 14 I’m Fremont has been headlights, my new one 872xxx has new headlights.

• Like x 1
  20. benjboy

benjboy Member

Is the dead pedal carpeted normal? Or is it sure to be some plastic? Picked up my SR+ 2 days ago