Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the official Model 3 VIN decoder:

This car has the Panasonic 3L 82kWh NCA battery pack since Oct. 2020 and will show you a range of 508km max. 505km is just fine.

Where can I find this decoder?

My data is as follows:

PositionDescriptionValue
1-3ManufacturerLRW = Tesla, China.
4Make3 = Model 3
5Body TypeF = Sedan 4 Door (Model 3, Right-Hand Drive)
6Restraint System7 = Type 2 manual seatbelts (Front, Rear*3) with Front Airbags, Side Inflatable Restraints & Active Hood
7Battery TypeE = Lithium-Ion Battery - Electric
8Motor/Drive UnitK = Dual Motor - China
9Check Character3
10Model YearM = 2021
11Location of ManufactureC = Shanghai, China

How do I determine what type of battery I have got?

You need the type of your Model 3, on your car papers. (E3D, E5D, E5L, E5C...) to determine the battery
Toutes-les-batteires-Tesla-Model-3-LR-Performance-2019-2020-2021.png

Reactions: Max_G
Where can I find this decoder?

My data is as follows:

PositionDescriptionValue
1-3ManufacturerLRW = Tesla, China.
4Make3 = Model 3
5Body TypeF = Sedan 4 Door (Model 3, Right-Hand Drive)
6Restraint System7 = Type 2 manual seatbelts (Front, Rear*3) with Front Airbags, Side Inflatable Restraints & Active Hood
7Battery TypeE = Lithium-Ion Battery - Electric
8Motor/Drive UnitK = Dual Motor - China
9Check Character3
10Model YearM = 2021
11Location of ManufactureC = Shanghai, China

How do I determine what type of battery I have got?
Hey Max,

the VIN Decoder in most cases is useless for this.

You can climb "under" your car and check the battery sticker. You can connect SMT and get a reading. You can charge the car to 100% and guess! it by the range in km. You can guess! it by the quarter in which you bought it and the location it came from.

By all data provided by you I would bet my chips on the LG 75kWh NMC battery pack.

I am picking my car up on Friday. Based on your quote there will be papers with the car... I will have a look.

What is SMT? Thanks.
SMT = Scan My Tesla = App to pickup and decode the CAN-BUS of your Tesla.

You need hardware to do this. Checking the battery stick is much easier. Your paperwork will probably not give you the essential clue, but you might look for variant code anyway...E5CD, E5LD or E3LD.

You need the type of your Model 3, on your car papers. (E3D, E5D, E5L, E5C...) to determine the batteryView attachment 723222

If you are referring to Nominal Full Pack I agree on all, except fot the E3LD . The NFP for E3DL (2170L) is 82,1 kWh

The NFP for E3DL (2170L) is 82,1 kWh
The Full Pack When New value is 82,1kWh.
The highest Nominal Full Pack I've seen was 81,6kWh and the highest Nominal Remaining was 82,0kWh.
With normal charging habits the Panasonic 3L will settle in the mid 80's. Using 80,7kWh (probable degradation theshold) is sensible to have a fair comparison.

Reactions: TomaGo
The Full Pack When New value is 82,1kWh.
The highest Nominal Full Pack I've seen was 81,6kWh and the highest Nominal Remaining was 82,0kWh.
With normal charging habits the Panasonic 3L will settle in the mid 80's. Using 80,7kWh (probable degradation theshold) is sensible to have a fair comparison.
My 2021 M3P never exceded the 79,8 kWh even when new at 10 km odometer... so this is not my point.

I was referring to the beautiful table posted by @TomaGo . If He uses the NFP (when new) like the Panasonic E3D at 77,8 kWh he should put 82,1 even on E3DL.

Reactions: TomaGo
My concern is: "why you listed insteead 77,8 in E3D (2019/2020) that is "NFP WHEN NEW" paramenter in SMT? "
This is a valid point, because when new, typically NFP exceeds the FPWN value for LR vehicles with the 2170 pack (78-79kWh is not that uncommon), while as @eivissa says, for the 82.1kWh pack, we've never see in excess of about 81.6kWh.

So which value to use is a little confusing.

Separately, there are the degradation thresholds (the point around which degradation starts to show - in reality it's about 0.1-0.2kWh lower where it actually starts to show due to rounding of range to nearest integer) - which for the Performance is about 80.6kWh (well below FPWN), while for the LR it's about 77.8kWh (roughly matching FPWN).

This degradation threshold derived from the energy screen appears to be a better predictor of median initial capacity than FPWN value - the threshold appears to be typically about 0-1kWh below the initial pack capacity - though there are exceptions, since there is a distribution of initial pack capacities. @conv90, your pack started well below 80.6kWh as I recall, for example.

Reactions: AAKEE and TomaGo
When are we expecting to see deliveries for vehicles with the E5LD batteries for the M3LR? Are Q4 2021 deliveries likely to have these batteries? Particularly interested in the UK market (which I'm guessing will probably lag behind, so maybe Q1 2022?), but am I right to think they've not actually arrived for mainland Europe just yet either?

Just stepped upon a (very probable) first listing of the new LG 82kWh battery pack on Tesla-Info.
  • Model 3 LR 2021 MIC on its way to Australia
  • Option Code BT43 -> 82kWh with no information about Manufacturer
  • Still listed as WLTP 580km, but I believe that is not too important. Maybe the range hasnt changed there. I dont know the Aussie market.
Source:

Reactions: AAKEE
Just stepped upon a (very probable) first listing of the new LG 82kWh battery pack on Tesla-Info.
  • Model 3 LR 2021 MIC on its way to Australia
  • Option Code BT43 -> 82kWh with no information about Manufacturer
  • Still listed as WLTP 580km, but I believe that is not too important. Maybe the range hasnt changed there. I dont know the Aussie market.
Source:
...same story for the M3 SR!
  • Model 3 SR 2021 MIC on its way to Australia
  • Option Code BTF1 -> 60kWh? (BTF0 was 55kWh)
  • Still listed as WLTP 448km, but I believe that is not too important. Maybe the range hasnt changed there. I dont know the Aussie market.
Source:

AFTER a drop of NFP TO 76,3 kWh in the past weeks I had a regain up to 77,8 , but in another 2 weeks up today It returned to 76,3-76-4 , day by day 0,1 kWh after 0,1 kWh drop. on my 2021 15k km Model 3 P.
What is strange is that the math on the Energy screen is always at 78,2 kW.
(average at 50km x range expected / percentage battery).

I'm so disappointed by the battery of my car. Really disappointed.
My car NOW after 7 months has less projected range (480) than my OLD LR 2019 (sold) with 26 months and 40k km.
And the LR 2019 started with projected range at 100% of 499 km . My M3P started at 506 km

Last edited:
Small update. I'm now at 76.5kWh according to SMT, with full rated range of 560km. CAC values all above 220 Ah. While charging from 8% yesterday full rated range was jumping up and down by about 10-20 km (saw it as high as 564) but is clearly trending upwards. Much less variation in the nominal full pack estimate (considering 1kWh is about 6-7 km, and the variation there was only about ~0.1 kWh during the charge). Odometer is now at 7116 km. This Thursday I'm visiting the Service Center.
Another small update: I’m now at 77.6kWh NFP and full rated range is 571km according to SMT. Again most of that increase happened soon after driving long distances. Service center didn’t do anything, they said everything looks fine.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life