Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another small update: I’m now at 77.6kWh NFP and full rated range is 571km according to SMT. Again most of that increase happened soon after driving long distances. Service center didn’t do anything, they said everything looks fine.
What's CAC? I think is calculalted Amperage capacity?
in my SMT I have 220 min 222 max and 221 average.
But math has something wrong... I'm at about 54% SOC, Voltage is 368 V but 221 it's a strange value.
368Vx221Ah = 81328 Wh = 81,3 kWh
but actually Im at 76,5 kWh

If I do 76500 Wh/368V = 208 Ah (not 221)
What i'm missing?

What's CAC? I think is calculalted Amperage capacity?
in my SMT I have 220 min 222 max and 221 average.
But math has something wrong... I'm at about 54% SOC, Voltage is 368 V but 221 it's a strange value.
368Vx221Ah = 81328 Wh = 81,3 kWh
but actually Im at 76,5 kWh

If I do 76500 Wh/368V = 208 Ah (not 221)
What i'm missing?
When you calculate the total energy capacity you should use the nominal voltage of the cell. From what I’ve found for the panna 2170, its 3.7v( there is a lot of others having 3.6 or 3.63V etc)

3.7 x 96= 355.2V ( 96 cells in series)
So your calc should be 355.2 x 221= 78.5kWh.
The number doesnt match, but thats how it shoud be done.
Backwards calc 76500/(221x96)= 3.605V.
So in this case, it seems like the nominal voltage is about 3.60V if the value CAC is per your guess.

Reactions: conv90
Is the US M3 LR now a 82 kW pack?
Yes - see timeline below

1634841816808-png.724026

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Is the US M3 LR now a 82 kW pack?
Many (all?) of them are. There have been very unreliable reports here recently of some US M3 LRs coming with what appear to be the 77.8kWh packs. If I had to bet, though, I'd bet they have "82.1kWh" packs (which from the data shown here typically provide 79-80kWh usable capacity typically for US M3 LRs, for whatever reason, rather than ~81kWh - there may be juicy exceptions; we really don't have enough data from owners with SMT in the US, which is the only easy way to see the distribution of values (they look like 77.8kWh with the energy screen method since that's capped at that degradation threshold value right now, so that method does not work)).

If I were buying a car, I would just check the label on the battery (it's quite easy if you know how to do it) before signing the paperwork.

Last edited:
Reactions: indyjaco
Many of them are. There have been very unreliable reports here recently of some US M3 LRs coming with what appear to be the 77.8kWh packs. If I had to bet, though, I'd bet they have "82.1kWh" packs (which from the data shown here typically provide 79-80kWh usable capacity typically for US M3 LRs, for whatever reason, rather than ~81kWh - there may be juicy exceptions; we really don't have enough data from owners with SMT in the US, which is the only easy way to see the distribution of values (they look like 77.8kWh with the energy screen method since that's capped at that degradation threshold value right now, so that method does not work)).

If I were buying a car, I would just check the label on the battery (it's quite easy if you know how to do it) before signing the paperwork.
I've tried without luck to check my battery sticker. All the "how to" videos and instructions I've seen are extremely poor. I've spent lots of time in the wheel well trying to find this mythical battery sticker with no luck lol.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I've tried without luck to check my battery sticker. All the "how to" videos and instructions I've seen are extremely poor. I've spent lots of time in the wheel well trying to find this mythical battery sticker with no luck lol.
It definitely is important to have a bright light to place on top of the aero shield to help with focusing. And a good smartphone camera is needed. But once you have that, following this guide that Fred put together, based on how I did it a while back (others may have figured out the same method independently, no idea…), really does work. If you can’t get the picture to work, video is another option.

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

EU Q4 Model 3 confirmations:
  • SR gets the new CATL 60kWh as E6LR with 491km WLTP range.
  • LR gets the new LG 82kWh as E5LD with 614km WLTP range.
  • P gets the known 82kWh as E3LD with 567km WLTP range.
These deliveries are going back and forth with the old 55kWh / 75kWh battery packs.

Attachments

• E392B9E3-9F2C-45B4-80BD-DEB39DB0EBB1.jpeg
    E392B9E3-9F2C-45B4-80BD-DEB39DB0EBB1.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 284
  • AF5F21F6-CDC5-4E99-B7A6-AB2EEAEE0710.jpeg
    AF5F21F6-CDC5-4E99-B7A6-AB2EEAEE0710.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Just to clarify, what do you mean by back and forth? That the old packs will be mixed in with the new ones so it is luck of the draw?
Yes, exactly that. There are some reports of LR E5CD 580km still in the mix, which is not acceptable, since customers now all paid the full price (no 2000€ discount) and they've ordered the 614km version. Be it with the Panasonic 3L or LG 5L pack.

With the SR it is a different story. The SR is still to date advertised as 448km / 55kWh (CATL 6C LFP) and that is what people ordered. Getting the 60kWh (CATL 6L LFP) then this is a nice bonus, but nothing to count on. Users are looking for a system and there seems to be a VIN range in which they switched to the larger packs.

Reactions: Jayster
Yes, exactly that. There are some reports of LR E5CD 580km still in the mix, which is not acceptable, since customers now all paid the full price (no 2000€ discount) and they've ordered the 614km version. Be it with the Panasonic 3L or LG 5L pack.

With the SR it is a different story. The SR is still to date advertised as 448km / 55kWh (CATL 6C LFP) and that is what people ordered. Getting the 60kWh (CATL 6L LFP) then this is a nice bonus, but nothing to count on. Users are looking for a system and there seems to be a VIN range in which they switched to the larger packs.
Without having all the data, it looks that all cars sold in Sweden with the smaller battery has been sold with the 580km WLTP information.

I have not seen any information about anyone that ordered the 614km WLTP did get the 580km-version.

Without having all the data, it looks that all cars sold in Sweden with the smaller battery has been sold with the 580km WLTP information.

I have not seen any information about anyone that ordered the 614km WLTP did get the 580km-version.

As long as they are being sold with the 580km WLTP rating that is ok in my mind given the people that get the smaller pack are still getting what they paid for. Though obviously it is not ideal that some are getting better than that despite paying the same amount.

Since Q2/2021 the M3LR is advertised as 614km WLTP car in Germany.
These Q2 cars were Fremont built with the Panasonic 3L 82kWh pack.
In Q3 all deliveries of 614km cars stopped completely and they only offered 580km LG 5C 75kWh cars to customers who ordered the 614km cars at a 2000€ discount. Some took the deal, some rejected and waited...
In Q4 everyone expected 614km cars as it said November in the configurator, when people ordered back in June 2021 and everyone paid full price for 614km.
Today we see, that Tesla sent the correct papers for the new 614km LG 5L Long Range to customers, but some users reported, that they received documents for a 580km LR with the LG 5C pack. This is not a fair thing to do and we saw the exact same thing in the first weeks of Q2.
Once customers complained to Tesla, they were offered to send the papers back to receive the correct 614km cars.

Obviously, if there were customers from Q3, who got a 2000€ discount for the 580km car, who still havent taken delivery, then they would have no reason to complain about one of these old 580km LR.

This is Tesla's official VIN decoder. You can see that the VIN only tells you if the battery is NMC/NCA or LFP and that is something you know when you purchase the car, since only the SR comes with a LFP battery. All Q3/Q4-2021 LR from China have the same VIN structure...

LRW3#7EK#MC######

This VIN can have the old LG 5C 75kWh and also the new LG 5L 82kWh. This could even be a Panasonic 3L, which they still use in China for the Performance, but not in the LR.

a062e6ad71d8c79da792595678215f30a01f8808.jpeg

This is Tesla's official VIN decoder. You can see that the VIN only tells you if the battery is NMC/NCA or LFP and that is something you know when you purchase the car, since only the SR comes with a LFP battery. All Q3/Q4-2021 LR from China have the same VIN structure...

LRW3#7EK#MC######

This VIN can have the old LG 5C 75kWh and also the new LG 5L 82kWh. This could even be a Panasonic 3L, which they still use in China for the Performance, but not in the LR.

a062e6ad71d8c79da792595678215f30a01f8808.jpeg
Thanks for that. So the only way to know what battery pack is in UK Q4 LR’s is to check the battery sticker?
I’m hoping Tesla Shanghai have started using the 82kWh pack in RHD LR’s, as they already do in Australia (RHD) and Europe.