Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Irish owner here so assume on the same supply chain as UK. Received my E5D Model 3 two weeks ago and the max displayed range is 530km(~330 miles). It's driving me slightly crazy at the moment. Would hope to be closer to EPA ratings. I'm just going to change to % Display and stop talking about it before my wife kills me.
Feels like European cars drew a very short straw these last few quarters. I’m thinking about cancelling/delaying my order until the whole thing is more fair and I can get a car with the larger battery. Or might as well wait for a Performance model.

Reactions: Korgmatose
Yes, fully agree. Not certain right now, but very likely that all production lines now run with the 2170L cells.

Any moment I guess...but likely as soon as they start delivering US models again. I beleive currently they are still focussing and producing for overseas (like EU).

Like AAKEE said...field 22 in the German registration papers didnt have a good hit rate to be reliable.
  • SR+ was always right
  • LR E5D was always right
  • LR E3D/E3CD was only 50% right
  • P E3D was initially 75% wrong until we, the customers, advised the authorities about their mistake.
  • P E3LD was then always right
  • LR E3LD will be always right -> This is your / the new car.

TÜV does the bi-annual technical inspections (like MOT). The errors are made at the federal traffic/road agency (hard to translate KRAFTFAHRTBUNDESAMT).
Indeed I am E3LD.

I think we have learned by now not to rely on the German papers(TÜV?). Seem to have had more faults in the papers than right so far.
If it is the german registration, that is. If you are talking about the COC from Tesla, it should be correct. (Anyway, made after 1st of april It should be the 82kWh).
Mistakes in the German papers are most likely mistakes in copying from the COC which I have. And the COC is an EC COC so true for all of the EU of course. But I do wonder which door trims it will have :)...

Reactions: AAKEE
Irish owner here so assume on the same supply chain as UK. Received my E5D Model 3 two weeks ago and the max displayed range is 530km(~330 miles). It's driving me slightly crazy at the moment. Would hope to be closer to EPA ratings. I'm just going to change to % Display and stop talking about it before my wife kills me.
We have given up on official ratings a long time ago. It's like the fossil world- complete fiction! Over here in Germany with an unlimited autobahn on the doorstep we prefer to move at the same speed as the traffic in the rush hour which means you can take any official figure and halve it (range) or double it (consumption UK/US) or halve it (consumption EU!) (You get what I mean!) Before I ordered a Tesla the best alternative that came somewhere close to what we hoped was the Taycan but I don't like the price for something Porsche themselves said will have an updated battery/tech at some point -outdating an expensive car. At least with Tesla there is a well proven trail of enhancements to existing products as they unlock more tech and occasionally range. And it seems there's something left if you accidentally get to 0%. And the M3 price seems to be a good way to start the electric adventure. If I reliably see over 300km in my new M3LR 82Kw in everyday use I will be happy as the only other car which achieved that our testing was the Taycan 4S. Fortunately my better half who has a lead foot on the Autobahn (she's German, I'm a Brexit refugee) has the same view about range fiction....

Maybe it is useful for this topic, but we received our VIN yesterday with #959XXX, delivery 4th of June here in The Netherlands. Model 3 LR with references MDL3 (Model 3) and MT315 (LR AWD) and interior IPW1 (white with revised door panels I believe). Tried to look on the papers provided on the website for references on battery capacity, but there is nothing there.

Reactions: pep_dj
How can I check which battery pack I have in a us 2021 lr (without obd adapter...) Vin 937xxx? Just curious. I did read much of the thread. My 1300 mile lifetime efficiency is about 229 w/mile so can pretty easily hit the EPA range.
VIN 937 is a Refresh / 2021 -> If delivered to a US customer this should always be the "old" Panasonic pack with 77.8kWh that has been available in the car at least since beginning of 2019. Not sure how acurate that Wikipedia text is about a change in the cells by the end of 2018...
You might want to read up on this post again. You will never get close to the EPA rated range...
Mistakes in the German papers are most likely mistakes in copying from the COC which I have. And the COC is an EC COC so true for all of the EU of course. But I do wonder which door trims it will have :)...
The COC doesnt list the battery capacity though. The data for field 22 is coming from two different databases, soon only one.
  • KBA's own database that is built with data provided by the manufacturers.
  • COC IVI Database (the future main/only source) that gets its data directly from the manufacturers.
The KBA is currently investigating at which point these mistakes were made.

reliably see over 300km in my new M3LR 82Kw in everyday use I will be happy as the only other car which achieved that our testing was the Taycan 4S.
The Taycan 4S can barely do 300km on the german highway. And only if you don't ever go above 150km/h. At least my drive test. If you drive it like you should, it gets you to about 200km from 100-0%. My avg consumption was 39kWh/100km at around 160km/h avg(200-250 max where possible)
About 150km drive from 80%+ to almost zero%.

If you can drive the Taycan to 300km, meaning not as fast as you think "fast means"(fast: around 150km/h avg speed, so mostly 200km/h+ where possible), you will get about 350km + on the Model 3 with the same driving you are used to.

• Informative
Reactions: transpondster
VIN 937 is a Refresh / 2021 -> If delivered to a US customer this should always be the "old" Panasonic pack with 77.8kWh that has been available in the car at least since beginning of 2019. Not sure how acurate that Wikipedia text is about a change in the cells by the end of 2018...

You might want to read up on this post again. You will never get close to the EPA rated range...

The COC doesnt list the battery capacity though. The data for field 22 is coming from two different databases, soon only one.
  • KBA's own database that is built with data provided by the manufacturers.
  • COC IVI Database (the future main/only source) that gets its data directly from the manufacturers.
The KBA is currently investigating at which point these mistakes were made.
Of course you are right about the COC-it only states the 'Variant' and Date of Manufacture in this context. Which would seem to indicate the later 82 battery. The Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil 1 seems to be the only place (apart from here!) where it says 82KWH.

The Taycan 4S can barely do 300km on the german highway. And only if you don't ever go above 150km/h. At least my drive test. If you drive it like you should, it gets you to about 200km from 100-0%. My avg consumption was 39kWh/100km at around 160km/h avg(200-250 max where possible)
About 150km drive from 80%+ to almost zero%.

If you can drive the Taycan to 300km, meaning not as fast as you think "fast means"(fast: around 150km/h avg speed, so mostly 200km/h+ where possible), you will get about 350km + on the Model 3 with the same driving you are used to.
Interesting. I tried the 4S 3x with both the smaller and larger battery packs. Admittedly it was fairly busy but I didn't drive it slower than my current fossil cars and on each occasion had it at the limiter at least once. One test was on summers and 2 were on winter tyres. I tried hard not to make allowances for it being electric. I think that for the larger pack - unless it is 'just' autobahn - 350km is not far off. For a long autobahn trip I would agree that it would be less but without an extended test I can't say how much less. Sitting at 200km/h the range would seem to be less than 200km though from the Nextmove videos. I really like the Taycan (I tried hard to make the case work for me) but the price/range/infrastructure compromise seems off to me and for a first venture into electric cars the M3LR seems a pretty low cost way to try it all out. I remain open minded.

Very interesting information in here! My car was ordered 4/4/21. I still have no VIN # and my delivery date is scheduled for May 18th to June 20th. It always changes.

Sorry if its already been asked but will the North American Model 3 LR also get the new battery providing the VIN # is above the 943? Or is this for Europe only? Just curious if my car will have the 77 or 82 battery pack. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Very interesting information in here! My car was ordered 4/4/21. I still have no VIN # and my delivery date is scheduled for May 18th to June 20th. It always changes.

Sorry if its already been asked but will the North American Model 3 LR also get the new battery providing the VIN # is above the 943? Or is this for Europe only? Just curious if my car will have the 77 or 82 battery pack. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
I am also confused about this. Is there even a confirmed model 3 LR in US that has the 82kwh battery?

I am also confused about this. Is there even a confirmed model 3 LR in US that has the 82kwh battery?
TBD. Read the last few pages here I think. Seems likely it will be built with it, a CARB test with it looks like it may have been done already, so it’s a question of whether Tesla opens up the range. Probably vehicles delivered this quarter will be built with them. But it’s possible not all will be - and it’s possible none will have the extra range enabled even if they all have the new battery. Very hard to say, because it depends on what Tesla thinks is best for maximizing revenue. And as we know, what happens in the US does not necessarily match what happens in Europe and elsewhere.

For example, Tesla might unlock available energy for next year’s model, and offer an energy unlock (at a price) to older vehicles capable of it, at that time. There are so many possibilities. It’s all just speculation - though there seems to be fairly concrete evidence from Europe that upcoming vehicles delivered there will physically include the 82kWh pack (and it sounds like the WLTP range has also been increased IIRC - again, review the last few pages for actual correct details - I’m just spouting off from memory here).

So if they documented the car correctly this is the only evidence so far as I know of 82kwh battery in my car Germany/Europe. Hopefully it's right!
IMG_4879.jpeg

Reactions: Jejunjm
So if they documented the car correctly this is the only evidence so far as I know of 82kwh battery in my car Germany/Europe. Hopefully it's right!
It is if your ZB1 says E3LR in D.2, which you have confirmed previously.

All E1LR and E3LD have the larger 5Ah cells needed to form the 55,4 / 82,1kWh packs. This is confirmed by the EG Type Certificate 3.3.2.1.3 and obviously by every Performance 2021 which is also called E3LR since Q1/2021.

Zellen.jpg

When are these German LR supposed to be delivered?
14th - 17th of May are the first delivery dates currently stated by Tesla to their customers.