Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That table should look like this:
A9B42D8B-8E7F-457E-95BA-ABA4703D15F2.jpeg

I didnt fill in the E5D, the ”real” capacity of the LG cell should be in the ball park of 4,56Ah / 16.87Wh to reach 74.5kWh total capacity. As I dont know anything about the LG battery marked size or actuall caspacity I didnt put the numbers in to avoid making someone angry :)

Its quite common that the marked capacity isnt actually reached when testing the battery so a 4.7Ah label might deliver 4.56.

[Edit]Actually, the table should be constructed the other way around to minimize the faults. Starting with the known ”Full pack when new ” as the capacity and working backwards to find the average true cell capacity. But I guess its not needed as the goal was to calculate the total capacity.
If you compare the 78.4 to the 77.8 ”full pack when new” for the 2170C/E3CD, theres a 0.8% delta. If you apply the 0.8% delta to the 2170L/E3LD battery you get 81.1kWh.

Last edited:
Reactions: FredMt
That table should look like this:
View attachment 656890

I didnt fill in the E5D, the ”real” capacity of the LG cell should be in the ball park of 4,56Ah / 16.87Wh to reach 74.5kWh total capacity. As I dont know anything about the LG battery marked size or actuall caspacity I didnt put the numbers in to avoid making someone angry :)

Its quite common that the marked capacity isnt actually reached when testing the battery so a 4.7Ah label might deliver 4.56.

[Edit]Actually, the table should be constructed the other way around to minimize the faults. Starting with the known ”Full pack when new ” as the capacity and working backwards to find the average true cell capacity. But I guess its not needed as the goal was to calculate the total capacity.
If you compare the 78.4 to the 77.8 ”full pack when new” for the 2170C/E3CD, theres a 0.8% delta. If you apply the 0.8% delta to the 2170L/E3LD battery you get 81.1kWh.
Lots of good points AAKEE! The gross capacity in my table looked way to big indeed. I just didnt know any better than using the maximum voltage of the cell.

So this is the amended one then:
M3BAT.jpg

The LG Packs, although 74,5 FPWN have shown Nominal Full Packs of up to 75,9kWh in one instance. A lot went to 75,5kWh. Therefore I am now more sceptical of the FPWN value than I was before. The The 79ers got the on point. The 82s never reach it and the LG blast right through and continue on...

Reactions: AAKEE
What means unlocked? I have think that Performance has always been fully capacity of 82kwh.
Absolutely. The ’21 P is not and has not been locked. No reason to, as all ’21P have the same battery.
LR’s lock is (was?) due to the fact that the cars had different batteries which eould cause the range to differ if no lock on the cars with slightly bigger batts

What means unlocked? I have think that Performance has always been fully capacity of 82kwh.

Unlocked as in performance wise. Maybe "uncorked" is a better term? Charging was slow as hell before, and the battery was constantly cold . Yeah it has been getting hotter, but it seems like the coolant flow, and charging speed has been fixed. At 17% SoC there was no dotted lines either.

Unlocked as in performance wise. Maybe "uncorked" is a better term? Charging was slow as hell before, and the battery was constantly cold . Yeah it has been getting hotter, but it seems like the coolant flow, and charging speed has been fixed. At 17% SoC there was no dotted lines either.
I got my P late december. Havent seen any really slow charging, only charged on V2 superchargers so far but i did get 138kW charging, at the same time battery heating did and the heatpump did use some of the power I think. Live in northern Sweden so low ambient temps we have. I had about 100kW when passing 50% SOC.

The new battery (2170L cell) is a low cobalt battery and cobalt is use to keep charging rates up(umoung other things).
I would expect to see at least some drawbacks with the low cobalt. Low power at cold battery would of course not be helped by the energy management trying to steal all available heat to heat the coupe. The new firmware is better and keeps the battery hotter( or less cold...).

I got my P late december. Havent seen any really slow charging, only charged on V2 superchargers so far but i did get 138kW charging, at the same time battery heating did and the heatpump did use some of the power I think. Live in northern Sweden so low ambient temps we have. I had about 100kW when passing 50% SOC.

The new battery (2170L cell) is a low cobalt battery and cobalt is use to keep charging rates up(umoung other things).
I would expect to see at least some drawbacks with the low cobalt. Low power at cold battery would of course not be helped by the energy management trying to steal all available heat to heat the coupe. The new firmware is better and keeps the battery hotter( or less cold...).

When did you charge on V2? They day you got it?

Back then, it was 190 for an instant, but quickly dropped to 170, and then remained on 83 kW. So yeah - it's slow, and you should have gotten more than 138 kW at low SoC even on V2. They can deliver up to 150 kW.
Trust me, it WAS a problem with the system stealing heat from the battery to heat the coupe and not fully uncorked charging and performance.

Last edited:
I have charged my 2021 P to 100% with a V3 Sathurday, and it started at 252 kW (SoC was around 10%). It climbed to 252 kW in a minute or so..
The Nominal full Pack was 79,6 kWh . My car never wanted to change in 1200km the Nominal full pack, I had 79,7 and 79,9 only for some hours. But usually is 79,6kWh.
I'm a bit disappointed because all of you with2021 P had at least 80,5 with points to 81,xx.
I have charged to about 95% and then I moved the car 20 meters away to a Tesla destination charger . (I have near home a V3 with 20 stalls and 4 destination charger (11kW AC). )
During last 5% of AC charge, I was with SMT connected and I was monitoring the charges. When SoC went to 100% the screen was 502-503 km.
SoC Ui was under 100% and when it reached 100%, SoC and SoC expected were 101%.
Nominal full pack climbed only when Soc was 100% and Soc UI was under 100%.
It ended to 80.1kWh of full pack. I had to wait over 40 min to have the " Charge ended".
the screen said 506 km and SMT was 503 on Full rated Range.
Imbalance at the end was 12 mV 4200 vs 4188.
I drove to home and around home to discharge the battery to at least 90% and I saw immediately the Nominal full Pack returned to 79.6.
Imbalance changed to 2 to 4 mV when at 90%.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-04-26 at 13.42.57.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-26 at 13.42.57.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Informative
Reactions: ran349
When did you charge on V2? They day you got it?

Back then, it was 190 for an instant, but quickly dropped to 170, and then remained on 83 kW. So yeah - it's slow, and you should have gotten more than 138 kW at low SoC even on V2. They can deliver up to 150 kW.
The V2 can deliver 150kW yes, but thats the total power, right?
So reaching a supercharger with preheating active and coupe heating fue to cold weather can steal > 10kW and then whats left for charging the battery isnt 150kW.

The cold battery is not that cold anymore after preheating before the supercharging session.
I did supercharge in the end of december and also early january, and did get about 138kW. Comparison with old M3P on a V2 showed quite similar numbers.

I know with the beginning with 2021.4.11 or 12, we got more power when driving wit low SOC. The battery temp did rise for me with lower SOC so the power was better.
Still, ehh, eivissa or someone on this forum had marginal power at very low SOC.
Its not definitive that Tesla have limited the power anymore. Before we saw a power limit by setting the minimum battery voltage higher than before. That limit seems to be removed but power can still be low at very low SOC. Its not nessesary a tesla imposed limit but it could be high internal resistance at low soc+ low temps due to the lower cobolt numbers. Cobolt is used (among other things) to increase tha ability to deliver and receive charge.

I have a UK RHD LR Tesla Model 3 coming in mid May, but the the last 6 digits of the VIN start 218xxx. Does anyone know what that means in terms of batteries? I assume the VIN is different from those discussed above because its RHD/MIC model?

Thanks!

I know with the beginning with 2021.4.11 or 12, we got more power when driving wit low SOC. The battery temp did rise for me with lower SOC so the power was better.
Still, ehh, eivissa or someone on this forum had marginal power at very low SOC.
Its not definitive that Tesla have limited the power anymore. Before we saw a power limit by setting the minimum battery voltage higher than before. That limit seems to be removed but power can still be low at very low SOC. Its not nessesary a tesla imposed limit but it could be high internal resistance at low soc+ low temps due to the lower cobolt numbers. Cobolt is used (among other things) to increase tha ability to deliver and receive charge.

So the battery chemistry is WORSE in the 2021 panasonic than the 2019/2020 panasonic?

Hi- I'm new here but just to confirm Euro market numbers (Germany) and add something - I've just registered my car ahead of arrival (COVID makes registration appointments unpredictable). It's a M3LR manufactured 7 April2021 and the official docs here say 82kw/h battery capacity, it's an E3LD with a weight of 1919kg . What I found interesting is that the current maximum net power on the CoC is 158kW F and 208kW R for a total of 366kw/497ps or 490bhp. I had thought it was less in the past? Anyway. My declared range on CoC is 640km normal and 779km city. VIN is a 944etc. Also the CoC declares the max speed which is in line with website but it says that the speed is not capped. (Germany autobahns etc). I will let you know :) John

Hi- I'm new here but just to confirm Euro market numbers (Germany) and add something - I've just registered my car ahead of arrival (COVID makes registration appointments unpredictable). It's a M3LR manufactured 7 April2021 and the official docs here say 82kw/h battery capacity, it's an E3LD with a weight of 1919kg . What I found interesting is that the current maximum net power on the CoC is 158kW F and 208kW R for a total of 366kw/497ps or 490bhp. I had thought it was less in the past? Anyway. My declared range on CoC is 640km normal and 779km city. VIN is a 944etc. Also the CoC declares the max speed which is in line with website but it says that the speed is not capped. (Germany autobahns etc). I will let you know :) John
Good!
Have you a secheduled delivery date?

That's great to hear!
I have got VIN 943etc, didn't get the CoC yet. How have you acquired your CoC? Via Tesla Advisor?