Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been asked but it wasn't totally clear to me ... Does the Vin 943xxx and higher apply to US cars as well? My delivery window is May 29-June 18 for LR AWD. I have not been assigned a vin yet. Would be amazing to get the updated battery pack and higher range. I did not even realize this was a thing until I read through the last 20 pages of this thread.

Funny, there is always something with Tesla. When I took delivery of my '19 SR+ they lowered the price by 1.5k the next day.

Reactions: travis3000
Another thing that make me crazy is that I never be able to do more km (or equal to) than the advertised in a single trip EVEN if I stay under the 159 Wh/km constant.
Example: I have on the screen 290 km (near 58%) . I do 50 km with an average of about 150 Wh/km and I expect to end with 240 left (or more 241 or 242 or 243)

As @TimothyHW3 said, this is due to the buffer. You need to do about 4.5% better than the constant to hit mile-for-rated-mile rolloff. You actually need to do about 1% better than that. So for you, you need to do about ~159Wh/km*0.955*0.99 = 150Wh/km in your Performance to hit the rated range. But notice then you'll hit the rated range when you get to 0%. And at that point you'll still have 4.5% of your capacity left - so you've done better than rated range. So that's why there is a discrepancy. That Energy Consumption screen is really quite useless for this purpose of predicting rated mile rolloff. It's really only good for providing a good estimate of your current battery capacity via the described method in the sticky.

As described earlier, a portion of the buffer is removed from the calculation on the Energy Consumption screen, according to your SoC. So at 50% SoC, only 50% of the buffer will be included in the calculation. This makes it all extremely confusing. In the extreme case, the Energy screen will predict you have 0km of range left when you are at 0% SoC - which is not correct, since you have 4.5% of your capacity left (though obviously you should not attempt to use it - but they DO use it in the EPA and range testing).

2021 LR with 2170L (82kWh) is released to the market in Q2/2021.

So reading the follow ups, this has not been confirmed in the US, right? Though it seems likely for future deliveries.

This should be in the ball park of 370 miles.

Yep, I'm surrounded by a cloud of smug, since I predicted this in October/November of 2020. 🤣 It wasn't really a prediction of course...it just follows straight from the EPA data. Preliminary EPA Data for Model 3 AWD & Model 3 P 2021 Released

Does the Vin 943xxx and higher apply to US cars as well? My delivery window is May 29-June 18 for LR AWD. I have not been assigned a vin yet. Would be amazing to get the updated battery pack and higher range. I did not even realize this was a thing until I read through the last 20 pages of this thread.

If you want to be sure, I'd wait for the update to the EPA test results to 365-370 rated miles, or independent confirmation from someone who is taking delivery in the United States. At this point, I would definitely recommend being 100% sure. The best way is to take delivery of a vehicle with EPA advertised range of over 365 rated miles (or whatever it ends up being), and ensure that is displayed in your vehicle (or extrapolates appropriately).

They can start building vehicles with the bigger battery for simplicity - but if they're not advertising the increased range, verified through an EPA test, Tesla is under no obligation to make the capacity available to you - so checking for the battery label to make sure you have the "right" pack is not sufficient. You could have the higher capacity battery, but not be able to use it (see: 2021 Europe AWD Panasonics!). If you want more range, make sure it is advertised as such through fueleconomy.gov. Do not listen to Tesla employees.

Last edited:
According to eivissas data, 943XXX and higher should be quite safe.
The picture really couldnt be more clear...
COUNTA.png

If you want to be sure, I'd wait for the update to the EPA test results to 365-370 rated miles, or independent confirmation from someone who is taking delivery in the United States. At this point, I would definitely recommend being 100% sure. The best way is to take delivery of a vehicle with EPA advertised range of over 365 rated miles (or whatever it ends up being), and ensure that is displayed in your vehicle (or extrapolates appropriately).

They can start building vehicles with the bigger battery for simplicity - but if they're not advertising the increased range, verified through an EPA test, Tesla is under no obligation to make the capacity available to you - so checking for the battery label to make sure you have the "right" pack is not sufficient. You could have the higher capacity battery, but not be able to use it (see: 2021 Europe AWD Panasonics!). If you want more range, make sure it is advertised as such through fueleconomy.gov. Do not listen to Tesla employees.

That is a good point. I know Tesla employees are often not well informed; I was told my SR+ would be able to take advantage of V3 superchargers and at the time it was limited to 100kw (although now it is 170kw). Interesting about having the increased battery pack, and not being able to use it. I wonder if someone who has taken delivery of a US car in the last couple weeks can chime in with their max battery capacity. Care to speculate when we might see those updated EPA numbers?

I noticed today that in the configurator the 0-60 time for LR changed to 4.2 seconds from 4.1 seconds. And they raised the price another $500. I wonder if that could be related.

My M3LR was built on 7 April and is 82kWh. It is in the official documents with which I registered the car. 944xxx.
I think we have learned by now not to rely on the German papers(TÜV?). Seem to have had more faults in the papers than right so far.
If it is the german registration, that is. If you are talking about the COC from Tesla, it should be correct. (Anyway, made after 1st of april It should be the 82kWh).

So reading the follow ups, this has not been confirmed in the US, right? Though it seems likely for future deliveries.
Yes, fully agree. Not certain right now, but very likely that all production lines now run with the 2170L cells.
Care to speculate when we might see those updated EPA numbers?
Any moment I guess...but likely as soon as they start delivering US models again. I beleive currently they are still focussing and producing for overseas (like EU).
My M3LR was built on 7 April and is 82kWh. It is in the official documents with which I registered the car. 944xxx.
Like AAKEE said...field 22 in the German registration papers didnt have a good hit rate to be reliable.
  • SR+ was always right
  • LR E5D was always right
  • LR E3D/E3CD was only 50% right
  • P E3D was initially 75% wrong until we, the customers, advised the authorities about their mistake.
  • P E3LD was then always right
  • LR E3LD will be always right -> This is your / the new car.
TÜV does the bi-annual technical inspections (like MOT). The errors are made at the federal traffic/road agency (hard to translate KRAFTFAHRTBUNDESAMT).

Care to speculate when we might see those updated EPA numbers?

No, it's hard to say. It could be this year, or it could wait until 2022 model year. In any case it will be no secret when the information is released.

In fact, it already has been released...to CARB (you made me check!):

You can see here there is a new version of the LR AWD (not Performance) which has 524.56 miles of UDDS (unadjusted) range rather than 494.54 miles. This is an updated version of the document as of early March. (Actually it's signed December 2020 - of course - these packs have been around for a long time!)

That's 6% more range. The 494.54 value resulted in 353 miles of EPA range (after the scaling factor of ~0.747 reduction and appropriate weighing with highway test results). That 6% is interestingly high, but remember the prior 494.54 value was achieved with only 78.5kWh (don't think in terms of the BMS values here, they are a different scaling in EPA tests - ~79kWh EPA historically has corresponded with ~77.8kWh SMT). So if you go to 83kWh in the EPA test (corresponding to 81-82kWh SMT), that's about 6% more energy. So with no efficiency changes, I'd expect to see 82-83kWh in the EPA discharge results, and perhaps 81-82kWh SMT. (However, they may have also improved efficiency slightly which would mean lower, more "expected" numbers, like 81.5kWh EPA (the Performance has 80.8kWh EPA discharge energy), and 80.5kWh SMT.)

(In general, again, these comparisons of kWh are not easy, since the EPA numbers and the SMT numbers are never the same; EPA numbers almost always substantially larger (because the EPA values are measured with calibrated equipment, and they may not be scaled exactly the same as the BMS values). I am just providing some background which can mostly be ignored for now - the numbers will be what the numbers are - and they will be available when the EPA numbers are released.)

In any case, as mentioned in October, I'd expect a final EPA rating over 370 miles (getting to that 370 miles is important for Tesla I would guess - something in the 370s sounds a lot better than something in the 360s when coming from something in the 350s).

So based on this document I would expect an update for 2021, and probably very soon - but I'd still wait until it is official, before purchasing. For all we know, they could end up selling two different vehicle versions in the US - both with the same battery - but one with more capacity unlocked. We just don't know how they will do it, until the EPA information is available.

Last edited:
The picture really couldnt be more clear...
View attachment 659360
I ordered on 31. March and got a VIN with 942. My Tesla person can’t tell me when the car was made but they say it’s in April because of when it arrives in Europe 🙄. Anyway, is there also some information from this sheet on when people ordered? Just trying to see if there’s any correlation if you ordered in march you would get a March car and so on.

I ordered on 31. March and got a VIN with 942. My Tesla person can’t tell me when the car was made but they say it’s in April because of when it arrives in Europe 🙄. Anyway, is there also some information from this sheet on when people ordered? Just trying to see if there’s any correlation if you ordered in march you would get a March car and so on.
Alright they were able to pull up the CoC (Certificate of Conformity) and it says April 5th so I should be getting the updates as well 😄🎉. @eivissa if you want to include it on the sheet.

Reactions: eivissa
In EU Tesla web, I see that all the cars with the new range (614km WLTP) have the new interior (wood trims). As far I know, the new interior model is called MT321. So, MT321 models are the ones having the new range.

Some people that ordered the car last month have the code MT321 for an item in the invoice, and others have the code MT315... Does it mean that only people with MT321 will receive the new version? @eivissa said that VINs from 943XXX will receive it. My VIN is 944XXX, and build date is 6th April, but the code in my invoice is MT315... what does it mean? I'm confused...

In EU Tesla web, I see that all the cars with the new range (614km WLTP) have the new interior (wood trims). As far I know, the new interior model is called MT321. So, MT321 models are the ones having the new range.

Some people that ordered the car last month have the code MT321 for an item in the invoice, and others have the code MT315... Does it mean that only people with MT321 will receive the new version? @eivissa said that VINs from 943XXX will receive it. My VIN is 944XXX, and build date is 6th April, but the code in my invoice is MT315... what does it mean? I'm confused...
In Germany they are all convinced that the door trims are identified via the equipment codes:
  • IPBO -> Old Trim
  • IPB1 -> New Trim
Not sure whether this holds to be true, but it makes sense. In any way...this is the Battery/Charge/Data section. So lets get back on topic 👍

Reactions: pep_dj
Thank you @eivissa. Please, can you tell us what MT315, MT316, MT321 means? Item description in English is something like "High range all wheel drive". Really sorry for the offtopic, last question, sorry.
MT316 seems to be the E5D LG cars from Q1.
MT315/MT321 have been confirmed to be E3LD Panasonic cars from Q2, but there are more versions circulating and they seems to differ between countrys. So might be country/tax/version designators with no connection to the door trims.
MTXXX shows up in on the invoice as the car version, not as an interior option:
c28670b7f89ad7c477c21e51e2d1183033d8d2f0.png

• Informative
Reactions: Matt125 and pep_dj
Anyone with MT315 and Panasonic battery?
It probably isnt worth investigating...with your VIN and built date you are very very safe on the new Panasonic battery and those door trims wont matter much. In the German forums they are already trading these as a lot of drivers find the new ones extremely ugly...there will be someone on "milanuncios" offering his new door trims for the old ones very soon...or vice versa ;-)