Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I usually only charge my car every second day when it is down to 30-20% up to 60% and repeat.

There are many theories on what factors have an impact on the BMS capacity (nominal full pack).

Outside temperature: colder temperatures = up / warmer temperatures down.

DC charging: frequent = down / little to none = up.

Daily SoC Limit: 50-60% = up / 80-90% down.

SoC variations: allowing the car to sleep at the same SoC = down / sleep at different SoC = up.

There are factors that are out of your control, but others are easily doable in a day to day routine like setting the SoC Limit to 60% and charging the car when getting to 20%. Allowing it to sleep without sentry at different SoC states in between.

That is how I got my 2020 M3 Performance from 72kWh up to 77kWh and both my 2021 M3 Performance from 79kWh the peak 82kWh with no loss of capacity at all, even after 10.000km. This is no proof that there is no degradation, but it seems the car stays in good health.

View attachment 697893View attachment 697896
It's interesting to see the behavior of these new packs. I wonder whether the BMS is properly capturing all the different ways the new cells can behave (for example the 60kWh pack reported a while back). And then these examples of packs that go up in capacity when charged to lower SOC for a bit (not sure how consistent this is - we have counter examples of course, reported here). This happened with the older packs too to some extent (as you mention for your 2020), but mostly it seemed like inexorable decline...

It'll be interesting to see with software updates whether we ever see a shift downwards. They're really doing pretty well so far, in general.
I'll set my max charge to 60% for the next couple of weeks then ... the vacation is over and 60% should be plenty for my daily needs. Should I let it go down to 40% or less before charging it back to 60%? Or just charge it when I get home no matter the SOC?
Definitely try it and let us know how it goes. Your example is definitely an outlier from what has been reported here so far. The "starting at 79.2kWh" is definitely something that we have seen reported on LR vehicles (less so on the Performance - they seem to start a little higher, but this is anecdotal, so not sure what is "typical"). But the dive downwards not so typical.

Reactions: eivissa
Gents,

We have picture from just received new SR+
Weight of the car confirm that it is still 55kWh battery? Increased battery to 60kWh would increase weight of car?
1629291504364.png

Gents,

We have picture from just received new SR+
Weight of the car confirm that it is still 55kWh battery? Increased battery to 60kWh would increase weight of car?
View attachment 698115
Dont expect the 60kWh car just yet. More likely in Q4/2021 or Q1/2022.

The 60kWh was tested as being 10kg heavier at WLTP (1915kg) and also its basic weight according to the type certificate is 10kg heavier at 1835kg.

My EU new model 3 with 614Km WLTP has moved from November Estimated delivery to December. Anyone else?
Also I have the possibility of getting the E3CD with 2k€ discount and 580 Km WLTP. Should I wait to the 614 Km WLTP?
Is the 614 Km WLTP will come from China with new LG battery (E5LD) or from USA with 82KWh Panasonic?
I have order at mid of June. First EDD was November and now December.. Order for Greece..

I ordered my LR in June, due for delivery in November.
I have been recently contacted by Tesla, proposing a Made in China model with a 2k euros discount. The only difference, they say, is a slightly lower autonomy, from 610 to 580 kms, due to reduced capacity (from 80.5 to 74 kWh). In addition, battery (LG M48EF E3 cells - BT38) can allegedly be charged to 100% without any problem.
Now I am a bit confused.
From what I have read, BT38 batteries are still Lithium based, and I have found no indication that they can be fully charged without any worries. This applies in fact only to LFP batteries, but that's another story.
In short: I am reluctant to go for the MIC model, I fear they come with an "old" battery pack. Has anyone got a hint on this? Thanks!

It is possibly to be delayed to Q1 2022 my tesla sales manager from Spain told me last week.
This would be very conflicting with Tesla's target to deliver one million cars this year. Obviously, if they can't, due to part shortages, that's a different story, but I believe they will do everything they can to get those LR cars to customer's until the 31st of December.

I ordered my LR in June, due for delivery in November.
I have been recently contacted by Tesla, proposing a Made in China model with a 2k euros discount. The only difference, they say, is a slightly lower autonomy, from 610 to 580 kms, due to reduced capacity (from 80.5 to 74 kWh). In addition, battery (LG M48EF E3 cells - BT38) can allegedly be charged to 100% without any problem.
Now I am a bit confused.
From what I have read, BT38 batteries are still Lithium based, and I have found no indication that they can be fully charged without any worries. This applies in fact only to LFP batteries, but that's another story.
In short: I am reluctant to go for the MIC model, I fear they come with an "old" battery pack. Has anyone got a hint on this? Thanks!
From what i know the LR 74 packs arent iron batteries so the 100% safe charging doesnt apply?

Definitely try it and let us know how it goes. Your example is definitely an outlier from what has been reported here so far. The "starting at 79.2kWh" is definitely something that we have seen reported on LR vehicles (less so on the Performance - they seem to start a little higher, but this is anecdotal, so not sure what is "typical"). But the dive downwards not so typical.
I managed today to reach 19% battery. Before connecting the car to the charger I peeked in SMT ... Nominal full pack is now: 76.5KWh (down from 77).
I charged it to 60% and I had to go for a quick ride ... now it is sleeping at 46% till morning. Before leaving the car I checked again SMT ... still 76.5 kwh. So far, in my first calibration step I actually lost an additional 0.5 kwh :) ... if it will continue to drop I'll contact Tesla service but what should I tell them ? That I'm using a 3rd party app connected via an OBD adapter in the system ?

So far, in my first calibration step I actually lost an additional 0.5 kwh :) ... if it will continue to drop I'll contact Tesla service but what should I tell them ? That I'm using a 3rd party app connected via an OBD adapter in the system ?

There's nothing to contact Tesla service about - this is normal and expected that you will lose capacity. You just happen to be less lucky than most other (reported) 2021 owners - who have generally not reported significant capacity loss.

But yeah, 3kWh or so - there's nothing to be done about that. You just hope that in a year or two you have less than 10% capacity loss. But it does seem that in your cases you're likely starting lower than most so you're more likely to see more loss.

It's also possible that the calibration and charging to 60% a few times will take some time to have an effect. But I'm not a big believer in that anyway - it may well work for some vehicles - it certainly does, but I'm not a believer in it working for every vehicle. That behavior is probably a function of the BMS and how it understands the pack.

There's really no way to know except to continue with the 60% and see what happens. Everyone's experience will be different. Unless you're seeing 10-15% loss on a brand-new car (see above for the 60kWh case) there's nothing to really be done about it.