Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Comprehensive Road-Course Modification Guide — Optimizing the 3 for the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think everyone knows what the problem is, everyone has experienced it, and Unplugged and MPP are trying to figure it out a solution. Tesla’s “track mode” is hardly track worthy as the red battery keeps on popping up and of course the car is try to protect itself. I appreciate when the manufacturers spend the time to test and not send out a half baked version despite the masses wanting it.

The question comes that if there is an aftermarket solution to prolong the “time” to track the car does it ultimately wear down the components (battery /DUs). I’d figure it’s better the same concept of ICE cars. Just because you are able to prolong components in that moment doesn’t mean inevitably they will fail faster.

Unfortunately, I don't think Tesla designed the car with the thought that it would be a Track Car. The tiny radiator is proof of that. I think Track Mode was kind of an afterthought. And it does work really well for 8-10 minutes. It just doesn't work well for a long period of time.

I don't think an aftermarket solution will reduce the lifespan of the components. We're not trying to trick or override any sensors, we're just trying to lengthen the time it takes before the components reach their mechanical limits and are electronically limited. If anything, this should prolong the life of these components (drive units, batteries).

This is also not terribly uncommon. There's plenty of examples of production cars that overheat or limp on track within minutes.

Distracted myself from current events by learning to write a browser based track file viewer (that currently runs locally so it can load the file). Shared it on GitHub, this time it should be easy to load into RStudio. Eventually this could be a standalone app where you upload your file, but so far it's basically the same functionality as before, except it has a track map that shows acceleration (red)/deceleration (blue) for each GPS point as a small circle. adrianco/rs-tesla-telemetry - talking to @Electric Dream about a better analysis methodology.
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 5.00.12 PM.png

So in this new 'RIng video, Seb Vittel says he runs 0% regen to help with overheating.
I've got big brakes on the front now but haven't yet done a proper comparison between 0% and 100% regen to see how much difference it makes. Anyone else here tried it?

Reactions: Lindenwood
I saw a negligible difference from 100% to 75%. Not sure how much 0% would help, but I reckon not much.
There is not much difference between 75 and 100% with the regen, so I'm not surprised. I think you need to go well below 50% to feel a big difference, but anyone with standard rotors isn't really going to be able to try that without cooking their brakes.

So in this new 'RIng video, Seb Vittel says he runs 0% regen to help with overheating.
I've got big brakes on the front now but haven't yet done a proper comparison between 0% and 100% regen to see how much difference it makes. Anyone else here tried it?

I don't have the data for that.
But I talked with Seb - once he put better pads he stopped using regen and saw that he can run longer here without overheat. He can't still really beat the track with just Carbotech ax6 pads, but he took me for a ride and he makes very smooth lines without much braking and regen is something that he doesn't turn on anymore.

I finally finished installing both coolers, so tomorrow is a test day here on the track. I can turn on and off those coolers and have fancy Pivot gauges to measure actual temperature.

I don't have the data for that.
But I talked with Seb - once he put better pads he stopped using regen and saw that he can run longer here without overheat. He can't still really beat the track with just Carbotech ax6 pads, but he took me for a ride and he makes very smooth lines without much braking and regen is something that he doesn't turn on anymore.

I finally finished installing both coolers, so tomorrow is a test day here on the track. I can turn on and off those coolers and have fancy Pivot gauges to measure actual temperature.
Nice. Looking forward to seeing some data!! ;):D
Where did you put the temperature sensors?

Nice. Looking forward to seeing some data!! ;):D
Where did you put the temperature sensors?
4 way oil collectors made out of thermostat.

So we made 7:55 BTG with traffic and slowing down for speed limit and it clearly can overtake Taycan time. We will try to do better tomorrow with a proper recording.

That's 15 seconds faster than that video from before. Unfortunately MX stopped working so only Tesla log and video. I will post later after processing.

Front still needs improvement of airflow, but slight overheat happened only at the end despite absence of cooling after supercharger. Advan tires maxing out Tesla meter at 1.6g and line becomes completely flat :(.

Important to notice I'm on a stock coolant radiator.

40f60r was faster. Cold tire pressure 26, hot 34f 32r. 3.5 front camber, 2.7 rear with slight toes. Camber looks excessive since insides ended up much hotter. Traction control is annoying unremovable and it overheats tires which supposed to stay cold.

Brakes were totally fine without regen use.
But we were heavily scraping floor edges.
PSX_20201107_183628.jpg

So we made 7:55 BTG with traffic and slowing down for speed limit and it clearly can overtake Taycan time. We will try to do better tomorrow with a proper recording.

That's 15 seconds faster than that video from before. Unfortunately MX stopped working so only Tesla log and video. I will post later after processing.

Front still needs improvement of airflow, but slight overheat happened only at the end despite absence of cooling after supercharger. Advan tires maxing out Tesla meter at 1.6g and line becomes completely flat :(.

40f60r was faster. Cold tire pressure 26, hot 34f 32r. 3.5 front camber, 2.7 rear with slight toes. Camber looks excessive since insides ended up much hotter. Traction control is annoying unremovable and it overheats tires which supposed to stay cold.

View attachment 606186
15 second shave? WOW...car is flying now. Was Misha driving? Whatever setup you got going do share when you’re ready. Bonus points if you got a video.

Last edited:

View attachment 606186
Sounds very positive overall.
What do you mean about improving front airflow? Cooling for stock radiator or your oil cooler?
Were you at 0% regen? Do you think this helped prevent overheating?
Which part of the floor is that? Jacking point?

Sounds very positive overall.
What do you mean about improving front airflow? Cooling for stock radiator or your oil cooler?
Were you at 0% regen? Do you think this helped prevent overheating?
Which part of the floor is that? Jacking point?
Front airflow on oil cooler. It's hot and not cooling down enough. Stock coolant radiator must be increase as well - no doubt about that.
It was 0 regen. I'm certain it helps. Seb made more than 100 laps here comparing it.
It is a jack point yes.

Today we did 7:44 with racenavigator video. I will post later. Still with slight dumb traffic and overheating. Without that it will be below 7:30 and can challenge Taycan lap record.

Unfortunately this season there won't be laptiming allowed. But we will try rework cooling and do faster lap next Saturday. Weather though is unpredictable.