Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Comprehensive Road-Course Modification Guide — Optimizing the 3 for the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any suggestions here on how to adjust the tierods with the MPP arms? To return toe to nominal after dropping in shims.

not comfortable doing it with just a jack, but don't have access to a lift. Don't think I can really fit in with the car not in the air.

Turns out both - front and rear needs cooling. But large oil cooler is going to disrupt battery warmup that happens at winter, before and during charge and top-up. And SMT oil temps is a confirmed BS. Don't know what is it, but it's not that. Clean solution is larger radiator and both heat exchangers.

Turns out both - front and rear needs cooling. But large oil cooler is going to disrupt battery warmup that happens at winter, before and during charge and top-up. And SMT oil temps is a confirmed BS. Don't know what is it, but it's not that. Clean solution is larger radiator and both heat exchangers.
Source of info?

Any suggestions here on how to adjust the tierods with the MPP arms? To return toe to nominal after dropping in shims.

not comfortable doing it with just a jack, but don't have access to a lift. Don't think I can really fit in with the car not in the air.
Take it to an alignment shop. Best to get the whole thing checked anyway once you've bolted on new suspension parts.

Take it to an alignment shop. Best to get the whole thing checked anyway once you've bolted on new suspension parts.
Buy your own alignment tools.
PSX_20201103_191611.jpg

Definitely need to take it to an alignment shop.

that's the great thing about the MPP corkscrew arm, the shims are repeatable enough where you can just align the marks on the tierods and get toe close enough between events to not need a full alignment everytime.

But still no hard data from PP, UP or anyone...:(
Not sure what you call hard data. We put temp sensors in both drive units and run it on a dyno 85-30% battery without ventilation.
PSX_20201103_221631.jpg

Front oil is hotter, front stator is much hotter. CAN data about oil temperature is not just wrong - it has no correlation with reality. Below is just a small part of runs.
IMG-20201102-WA0022.jpg

Oil-coolant heat exchangers are not large enough, because despite huge temperature difference they were not exchanging it good enough.

Unfortunately same happens at supercharging - drive units heat up stators, stators heat up oil, oil heats up coolant, coolant heats up battery. It's not very effective. Anyone who is going to just put large radiator on the oil is going to significantly worsen charging. To make it right is not that simple, but we're trying.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
Not sure what you call hard data.
What you did, what you measured, what the numbers were, what you concluded... All hard data.

A lot of us here are interested in this subject but there's a shortage of actual data. MPP promised it, but they are "keeping it close to thier chest".
You have some measurements but all you are showing us is some dyno graphs.

I'm being deliberately provocative of course, but I see no detail from anyone. Someone maybe thinks they want to be first to market with a solution, but I think we're some way from that.

What you did, what you measured, what the numbers were, what you concluded... All hard data.

A lot of us here are interested in this subject but there's a shortage of actual data. MPP promised it, but they are "keeping it close to thier chest".
You have some measurements but all you are showing us is some dyno graphs.

I'm being deliberately provocative of course, but I see no detail from anyone. Someone maybe thinks they want to be first to market with a solution, but I think we're some way from that.
I think that the whole story of racing aftermarket for Tesla is in the very beginning. It will take a time to do good mass market product for anyone. Once I will have a diy solution - I will post a data before and after. Right now I've posted conclusions only.

I think everyone knows what the problem is, everyone has experienced it, and Unplugged and MPP are trying to figure it out a solution. Tesla’s “track mode” is hardly track worthy as the red battery keeps on popping up and of course the car is try to protect itself. I appreciate when the manufacturers spend the time to test and not send out a half baked version despite the masses wanting it.

The question comes that if there is an aftermarket solution to prolong the “time” to track the car does it ultimately wear down the components (battery /DUs). I’d figure it’s better the same concept of ICE cars. Just because you are able to prolong components in that moment doesn’t mean inevitably they will fail faster.