Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Match factory tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tinted the front windows to match the darkness and color of the tint on the Model Y factory rear windows (without also tinting the rear windows)? What brand and type of tint? I also prefer a neutral charcoal color, not blue or brown like I've seen in many tints.

Has anyone tinted the front windows to match the darkness and color of the tint on the Model Y factory rear windows (without also tinting the rear windows)? What brand and type of tint? I also prefer a neutral charcoal color, not blue or brown like I've seen in many tints.
A film with ~20% VLT on the front windows will match the rears. XPEL Prime XR Plus will give you the charcoal color you're looking for.

I've heard good things about XPEL but here in CA, I'm worried about it being too dark would increase your chance of being pulled over...

Automobile drivers in California who have tinted windows on their vehicles are required to have a signed certificate from the tint film manufacturer or the tint installing company clearly stating the tint film’s VLT percentage. The certificate must display the name and address of the tint film manufacturer. Tint film manufacturers must also certify the film in California before they can get permission to sell it there. The driver of a vehicle with tinted windows must keep the certificate in the vehicle. State law also requires tint film installation companies must also give the vehicle’s owner a sticker or certificate with their name and address.​

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue
PXL_20210807_204908289.jpg

Some states, like mine, actually require the tint installer to put a sticker on the window between the glass and the tint film, stating the installer time/location and percentage of film... I've never seen anyone actually do that tho, lol. (I certainly havent) But with that said, most all my cars have 25% Ceramic tints, which match the rear glass pretty well.

Reactions: Bert Pit
View attachment 706655

Some states, like mine, actually require the tint installer to put a sticker on the window between the glass and the tint film, stating the installer time/location and percentage of film... I've never seen anyone actually do that tho, lol. (I certainly havent) But with that said, most all my cars have 25% Ceramic tints, which match the rear glass pretty well.
Looks nice!

Looks like legal front tint would be 70% but that wouldn't look as nice as 20% you have on yours. I guess it'll be a chance you take for looks lol

Not that I condone breaking any traffic laws, but the ticket for tint is a "fix-it" ticket in almost all of the cases. Also, cops generally don't have the time to pull you over just for having dark tint (unless they're short on quota for the month). It's usually added-on when you are pulled over for something else.

I had mine tinted from a shop that provided "ticket protection" that if I ever got a ticket to remove the dark tint, they'd remove and re-tint at no cost. Yes, I realize this is a hassle and I am sure the price of the original tint job has this cost built-in, but I drive around with peace of mind. :)

Not that I condone breaking any traffic laws, but the ticket for tint is a "fix-it" ticket in almost all of the cases. Also, cops generally don't have the time to pull you over just for having dark tint (unless they're short on quota for the month). It's usually added-on when you are pulled over for something else.

I had mine tinted from a shop that provided "ticket protection" that if I ever got a ticket to remove the dark tint, they'd remove and re-tint at no cost. Yes, I realize this is a hassle and I am sure the price of the original tint job has this cost built-in, but I drive around with peace of mind. :)
I got pulled over once for the "fix-it" ticket for tinting front window before about 6 years ago I think and I do believe he was short on his quota... I will probably get it tinted, just not sure how dark i'll go yet... we will see!

I got pulled over once for the "fix-it" ticket for tinting front window before about 6 years ago I think and I do believe he was short on his quota... I will probably get it tinted, just not sure how dark i'll go yet... we will see!
What tint % did you have at the time? When I lived in SoCal, of all my friends, the only one that got a ticket for his tint was running 5% all around. The rest of us were running ~25%. I was with him when he got one of his fix it tickets. Other than the mood of the cop, the guy told us that usually if he can still see into the car he doesn't bother with ticketing for tint... @ 25%, you can still make out the people sitting inside, especially if it's sunny. Whenever I got pulled over at night, I would just turn on the interior lights, as that would make it very easy to see into the car... I haven't gotten hassled over my tints when I did this in SoCal.. But yes, I do remember some tint shops had specials for doing re-tints for fix-it tickets.

I have 20% in the fronts. Not too dark at all during the day in the summer months. It's actually quite nice to look at too with my roof sunshade off. :p

Also remember the roof let’s a decent amount of light in which makes the 20% fronts look lighter in my opinion. White seats make it even more so.
Agreed that white seats make window tints appear lighter. We tinted both our Model 3s with the exact same tints and the one with the white seats look noticeably lighter.

As much as I prefer 20% all around, we went with 20% in the rear and 35% on the fronts. It's probably just a perception rather than reality, but I feel like a slight offset from rears to fronts makes it much less likely we will get pulled over. I've seen Model Ys with 35% on the front and they look great.

Agreed that white seats make window tints appear lighter. We tinted both our Model 3s with the exact same tints and the one with the white seats look noticeably lighter.

As much as I prefer 20% all around, we went with 20% in the rear and 35% on the fronts. It's probably just a perception rather than reality, but I feel like a slight offset from rears to fronts makes it much less likely we will get pulled over. I've seen Model Ys with 35% on the front and they look great.
I don't know. If the limit is 70%, then it's easy to tell that a window with 35% tint on it is not 70%, regardless of the offset with the rears. I feel like if you are going to tint the fronts, you might as well just go for it and do 25%. My other car, came with 35% tints because when I had it tinted prior to shipping, they accidentally tinted with the legal limit of the state I bought the car in, not the state I was having it delivered to.... So when I received it, I didn't like the look of 35% at all, and had it redone with 25%.

Honestly, if you are that worried about a fix it ticket, and don't want to pay too much money... I would just tint it at 25%... And if you get a ticket, redo the tint yourself... It's actually not that hard to do, especially on a frameless window, especially if you are only doing the front two windows... I just tinted the front windows of our RV myself a few days ago. It turned out so well, I decided to start tinting extended family member's SUV's that were too cheap to get tints... Mostly becuase I wanted the practice, haha. Some of the places you buy the tint from, even offer to sell you pre-cut tints if you tell them what vehicle it's for. Makes it even easier to DIY.

Reactions: WattsHappening

Automobile drivers in California who have tinted windows on their vehicles are required to have a signed certificate from the tint film manufacturer or the tint installing company clearly stating the tint film’s VLT percentage. The certificate must display the name and address of the tint film manufacturer. Tint film manufacturers must also certify the film in California before they can get permission to sell it there. The driver of a vehicle with tinted windows must keep the certificate in the vehicle. State law also requires tint film installation companies must also give the vehicle’s owner a sticker or certificate with their name and address.​
Thanks for sharing this link

View attachment 706655

Are you in WA? I have never heard of this nor have EVER seen anyone do it. Thought this was an east coast thing.

Anyone thinking about Windshield tint like 70%? I will do 35% all around because 25% is too dark for night driving (it's my opinion). Just want to know about Windshield tinting.
For my model 3 with 35 all around, my tint guy recommended 50 which was lower than I was planning on doing but it was amazing. Not too dark like I've seen on other vehicles because the roof lets light in too.

Sunglasses were optional most of the time and it really helps with glare.