Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Matrix LED Headlights Retrofit Journey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Realistically it should just be a matter of hooking the headlights up and changing the gateway config. Same way they do the retrofits on the model 3, except the S needs the headlight connector itself changed. Wouldn’t be doable on pre refresh cars.
Correct. The hard part is getting the change made to the gateway config. Tesla won't do it and the techs I have talked to about it are afraid that config change is being watched and they don't want to lose their jobs over it.

Ordered the AlphaRex's today for my 2016 S, will let you know how long it takes, I got them from @TSportline but you can order direct from AlphaRex too. Weird that TSportline didnt ask if my S was a 2016... AlphaRex is claiming you need converters (a $95 option) on 2016+. I probably need to call them...

Ordered the AlphaRex's today for my 2016 S, will let you know how long it takes, I got them from @TSportline but you can order direct from AlphaRex too. Weird that TSportline didnt ask if my S was a 2016... AlphaRex is claiming you need converters (a $95 option) on 2016+. I probably need to call them...

Are these shipping yet ?

IMG_4667.jpeg

Awesome, I'll be paying attention. Good luck!

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Hello to all. OK so I have been in contact with original OP And he has helped me tremendously to say the least! Somebody to change the config on my car for this exact same thing. I bought the swivel screen mechanism, left body control module, matrix headlights, and harness adapter. I made somebody to get in and config those parts and I’d also like someone to change my caliper color to red interior carbon fiber decor instead of wood as I have since changed it. Anyone here can help me with the config? my car is a 2021 but the MCU has been updated and I have the ethernet port thanks!

Hello to all. OK so I have been in contact with original OP And he has helped me tremendously to say the least! Somebody to change the config on my car for this exact same thing. I bought the swivel screen mechanism, left body control module, matrix headlights, and harness adapter. I made somebody to get in and config those parts and I’d also like someone to change my caliper color to red interior carbon fiber decor instead of wood as I have since changed it. Anyone here can help me with the config? my car is a 2021 but the MCU has been updated and I have the ethernet port thanks!
Location?

Alright. I have the plugs, wires, and pins to make my adapter harness for the headlights. Now to figure out what wires go where…

I’m going off of a 2016.5 p100d headlight harness to a 2021 matrix headlight. So it switches to 3 wire. The video posted above shows an early model refresh that has 4 wires going into the factory headlight plug but my 2016.5 has 6 wires as shown in one of the attached photos (black, black, red/white, red/purple, purple, green). I have no clue which need to continue to the headlight. Would any need to be combined or just cut off? Any help is appreciated. I’m currently going through some wiring schematics I’ve found.

Attachments

• IMG_6016.jpeg
    IMG_6016.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6017.jpeg
    IMG_6017.jpeg
    761.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6024.jpeg
    IMG_6024.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Disclaimer... you'd be the first person to get this to work on the Pre-refresh cars.

The 2022 Matrix lights only use Power, Ground, and LIN. On the refresh cars there are only 4 pins, one of them is the turn signal hardwired light which is dropped and passes over the LIN pin on the Matrix lights. You shouldn't combine pins. Just drop them and pass the 3 needed through.

The AMP Connector for the Matrix lights is: Power is Pin 1, LIN is Pin 2, Ground is Pin 3.

Look at the 2021 Refresh headlight schematic (SOP14) and the 2022 Refresh headlight schematic(SOP15) to get an idea of what you need to translate.

*Edit* Looking at the picture above the correct PIN positions used in the refresh cars are there in the your connector, for Refresh cars the 14 pin connectors are: PIN 1 is LIN, PIN 6 is Power, PIN 9 is Ground

You need to verify that is the same of the 2016.5 cars. It looks like it is, but you should check the schematic.

Last edited:
Disclaimer... you'd be the first person to get this to work on the Pre-refresh cars.

The 2022 Matrix lights only use Power, Ground, and LIN. On the refresh cars there are only 4 pins, one of them is the turn signal hardwired light which is dropped and passes over the LIN pin on the Matrix lights. You shouldn't combine pins. Just drop them and pass the 3 needed through.

The AMP Connector for the Matrix lights is: Power is Pin 1, LIN is Pin 2, Ground is Pin 3.

Look at the 2021 Refresh headlight schematic (SOP14) and the 2022 Refresh headlight schematic(SOP15) to get an idea of what you need to translate.

*Edit* Looking at the picture above the correct PIN positions used in the refresh cars are there in the your connector, for Refresh cars the 14 pin connectors are: PIN 1 is LIN, PIN 6 is Power, PIN 9 is Ground

You need to verify that is the same of the 2016.5 cars. It looks like it is, but you should check the schematic.
Thanks for such a fast response man. I’m hoping this works…
Have others attempted it and been unsuccessful?

So I almost have the wiring pinned according to your response. So going into the headlight… left to right is power, LIN, ground. (This plug isn’t numbered like the other)

Then I have: PIN 1 LIN, PIN 6 Power, PIN 9 Ground

The Matrix lights don't have a High/Low beam or Turn Signal/DRL wiring from the refresh BCM(Body Control Module). All of that signaling passes over the LIN bus. What I don't know is if the 2016.5 has the LIN on Pin 1 or if your existing BCM in your car can send those signals to control the headlights. You're the first I'm aware of to try.

One thing that might help is the Connector Reference documentation for X261 and X262 on the 2016.5 for the pinouts. On the AMP or TE Connector staring at the end of the right PIN where the notch is on the top, that's PIN 1. It goes from right to left. If I'm understanding your call out correctly it sounds right if I flip your perspective around. The 14 PIN Connector side looks right. Having all the wires Black makes it difficult to follow the connections. :)

1713380307560.png

You can see here, there are only 2 wires going to BCMs - VC_Front and VC_Batt to control the lights on the SOP15+ cars. The connectors are the same x261/x262. They are pinned the same. x261-1 is Power, -2 in LIN, and -3 is Ground on both sides.

I hope this helps.

• Love
Reactions: Evee
can you confirm this as in you have gone in to the gateway config to view if the option is there? i have 24h access to toolbox and would want to avoid paying a day to find out its really not there.
I do have toolbox, but don’t currently have access to a pre refresh car. From what I can see digging through the JavaScript, the headlamp configuration is editable, but there’s no global headlamp config for the headlamp parameter on pre-refresh cars.

Reactions: 127.0.0.0