Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Matrix LED Headlights Retrofit Journey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3) You will need a harness adapter for the headlights. Link below.

Probably not a *huge* issue, but from those pics, the wire seals don't seem crimped on correctly since they're sticking out of the connectors.

This is how it's supposed to be (I made these adapters when retrofitting the lights to my dad's X)

Individual Crimp
1714115655952.png

Installed in the connector (green seal not sticking out at all):
1714115680581.png

I did ultimately add some wire loom, but not strictly necessary.
1714115780072.jpeg

In comparison to below where the seals are sticking out:

1714115912163.png

The thought is why pay for the toolbox access twice? Knock both headlights and taillights out at these are time.
Do we need to make a configuration change for the tail light as well? If yes, what command should be used for the tail light config change? Also, if we do not want to change the tail light, is the command "enter command gw-diag SET_CONFIG_DATA 00 28 2" appropriate just for the global/matrix headlights?

"

I think the various vendors are attempting to make a harness that can adapt the old taillamp coding to the global, but the proper way would be to update the config and not deal with that. As far as I know none of those harnesses are actually being sold yet either, suggesting there are production issues / bugs.

The headlights and taillights are separate configs. global taillamps would be gw-diag SET_CONFIG_DATA 00 67 2

Probably not a *huge* issue, but from those pics, the wire seals don't seem crimped on correctly since they're sticking out of the connectors.

This is how it's supposed to be (I made these adapters when retrofitting the lights to my dad's X)

Individual Crimp
View attachment 1041880

Installed in the connector (green seal not sticking out at all):
View attachment 1041881

I did ultimately add some wire loom, but not strictly necessary.
View attachment 1041882

In comparison to below where the seals are sticking out:

View attachment 1041883
What’s wrong with it sticking out a bit ?

I think the various vendors are attempting to make a harness that can adapt the old taillamp coding to the global, but the proper way would be to update the config and not deal with that. As far as I know none of those harnesses are actually being sold yet either, suggesting there are production issues / bugs.

The headlights and taillights are separate configs. global taillamps would be gw-diag SET_CONFIG_DATA 00 67 2
Thank you for the information. For now, I think I can simply change to global headlights using those adapters and the configuration change for global headlamps.

Do you know which cable I need to buy to connect a laptop to the early 2021 Model S refresh?

You'd need a 1000-base-t1 to 1000-base-t media converter, cable to go from the media converter to the car, and an ethernet adapter for your laptop (assuming no built in ethernet like most laptops these days).

INTREPID RAD MOON 2 100/1000BASE-T1 MEDIA CONVERTER AUTOMOTIVE (MATENET CONNECT) | eBay + https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/HARTING/33480653830010?qs=Li%2BoUPsLEnvO8IPlH3nUtw== + https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806163562285.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa would work

SPEEDLINK SE1001 Pro 1000Base-T1 Automotive Ethernet Interface Module to RJ45 | eBay + Rosenberger H-MTD Connecting Cables is an option (that converter is untested, but appears to support the right stuff)

This one is the official Tesla kit, which includes a technica engineering media converter and cables TESLA DIAGNOSIS HARNESS KIT MEDIA CONVERTER 1669075-00-A | eBay

• Love
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
You'd need a 1000-base-t1 to 1000-base-t media converter, cable to go from the media converter to the car, and an ethernet adapter for your laptop (assuming no built in ethernet like most laptops these days).

INTREPID RAD MOON 2 100/1000BASE-T1 MEDIA CONVERTER AUTOMOTIVE (MATENET CONNECT) | eBay + https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/HARTING/33480653830010?qs=Li%2BoUPsLEnvO8IPlH3nUtw== + https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806163562285.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa would work

SPEEDLINK SE1001 Pro 1000Base-T1 Automotive Ethernet Interface Module to RJ45 | eBay + Rosenberger H-MTD Connecting Cables is an option (that converter is untested, but appears to support the right stuff)

This one is the official Tesla kit, which includes a technica engineering media converter and cables TESLA DIAGNOSIS HARNESS KIT MEDIA CONVERTER 1669075-00-A | eBay
Awesome yeah thank you so much I don't think my Model S will have Ethernet but Hopefully Model X will but regardless I got everything using the first option from those 3 links :) Just purchased it..

Now I gotta find the global headlights on Ebay :) for both Model S & X I think I will do both vehicles at the same time :) Once Again thank you guys for figuring all this out :)

Awesome yeah thank you so much I don't think my Model S will have Ethernet but Hopefully Model X will but regardless I got everything using the first option from those 3 links :) Just purchased it..

Now I gotta find the global headlights on Ebay :) for both Model S & X I think I will do both vehicles at the same time :) Once Again thank you guys for figuring all this out :)
Are you trying to retrofit Matrix Headlights to the legacy Model S and X?

According to Tesla, cars built after February 2022 should have the standard ethernet port. And I guess cars that had the steam retrofit done at that point also have it.

Also Tesla does appear to be transitioning to having the ethernet lines on the OBDII port. Model 3 highland and cybertruck have that. Appears to be the same scheme as the BMW ENET cables, so those are readily available (and easy to build DIY). Wouldn't be surprised if the S/X eventually migrate to that too.

Also for all you mac / linux users, the toolbox proxy app seems to work in Wine. So in theory can avoid VMs or grabbing a windows machine.

• Love
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
Did you check what type of connector your have ?
No, I haven't checked that. However, I did have the yoke steering replaced due to a peeling issue, and I saw the mobile technician making a configuration change using a box. Therefore, I'm guessing that the 2021Model S Plaid does not have an Ethernet port, especially since it also lacks Steam support due to having only 8GB of RAM, I will likely need the box from the link @terranx shared earlier.

I ordered it yesterday and am now waiting for it to arrive. I expect that the 2022 model will have the Ethernet jack.

How quickly do we get Toolbox access after purchasing it on the Tesla website? I'm considering opting for the daily option to make this configuration change and then canceling it after one day.

Also, I was watching this video last night:
. I'm not sure why OP in the video specifically said we need an employee to make the change , when it seems we can simply subscribe to Toolbox and do it ourselves as per those instruction in this thread.

Also do we know if the S/X in the US has the adaptive headlight support yet ?

How quickly do we get Toolbox access after purchasing it on the Tesla website? I'm considering opting for the daily option to make this configuration change and then canceling it after one day.
It's instant. You don't need to cancel, it doesn't auto renew.

. I'm not sure why OP in the video specifically said we need an employee to make the change , when it seems we can simply subscribe to Toolbox and do it ourselves as per those instruction in this thread.

Because it wasn't known back then (or at least not widely disclosed)

No, I haven't checked that. However, I did have the yoke steering replaced due to a peeling issue, and I saw the mobile technician making a configuration change using a box. Therefore, I'm guessing that the 2021Model S Plaid does not have an Ethernet port, especially since it also lacks Steam support due to having only 8GB of RAM, I will likely need the box from the link @terranx shared earlier.

I ordered it yesterday and am now waiting for it to arrive. I expect that the 2022 model will have the Ethernet jack.

Also, I was watching this video last night:

Also do we know if the S/X in the US has the adaptive headlight support yet ?
Toolbox3 w/shell option has only been out a few weeks. When they video was made it shell was not available

Do these changes survive computer swaps or upgrades? I'm going ahead with the 'steam' computer upgrade for my car and wondering if I will lose my matrix headlight and other config changes. I have been assuming (hoping) that these config changes are written to Tesla databases and not just the computer in the car.

Reactions: Daytonaviolet
Do these changes survive computer swaps or upgrades? I'm going ahead with the 'steam' computer upgrade for my car and wondering if I will lose my matrix headlight and other config changes. I have been assuming (hoping) that these config changes are written to Tesla databases and not just the computer in the car.
I’ve done matrix, swivel and tails on my 22msp. all the config changes remain after several software updates 😉