Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max Battery Power Missing - Firmware 2019.8.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds nice to say and probably makes you feel good, but you'll never sue. The cost of doing so would far exceed any financial compensation you may receive, if any at all.
A class action would certainly get Tesla's attention and would bring some very bad press. Personally I'd expect it to be fixed or rolled back and if not then some sort of legal recourse would be appropriate. Let's just hope that it's a simple bug and that it is resolved quickly before the tesla hating crowd gets wind of it.

I can’t confirm this on the newest version because I haven’t updated, but my 2014 with the V3 battery is getting around 500kw. Turning off max battery mode even after completely preheated lowered my max amps to 1500 and I always saw exactly 479kw output. Your lower power output is almost certainly because you are currently limited to 1500 amps and your battery isn’t at optimal temps. I’m sure this will be corrected, but who knows when.

Yes, my does the exact same w/max battery on and off (On; Over 500kw Off; around 475-480)
Has anyone tried doing a complete factory reset which will remove all the updates it has gotten over the time of ownership, and bring it back to the default update it had when first purchased new?

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike and bhzmark
There are various apps that tell you. I use PowerTools for iOS. I also use TM-Spy, but it requires a logger cable.

What Model S do you have? I saw that you said you had a 2014 with V3 battery, did you happen to buy a 90 battery and install it in your 2014? I know Tesla use to let you do those upgrades in the past. It was usually very expensive but still really cool, especially since their best car as far as handling etc was the late 2014 and early 2015 P85D and P85+ w/+ air suspension. They were tuned so well that they were comparable to supercars as far has their handling.

Reactions: BrokerDon
What Model S do you have? I saw that you said you had a 2014 with V3 battery, did you happen to buy a 90 battery and install it in your 2014? I know Tesla use to let you do those upgrades in the past. It was usually very expensive but still really cool, especially since their best car as far as handling etc was the late 2014 and early 2015 P85D and P85+ w/+ air suspension. They were tuned so well that they were comparable to supercars as far has their handling.

I have a 2014 that started out as a P85D. The battery was replaced under warranty. Eventually I ended up getting a V3 90kw. They first gave me a refurbished 85kw that wasn’t Ludicrous mode capable. Judging by the part number and the number of cycles listed in TM-Spy I’m pretty sure mine is also new and not a refurb. I do have the + suspension. It is definitely a rare combination and I’m happy with how it turned out even though it has been a bit of a mess.

I have a 2014 that started out as a P85D. The battery was replaced under warranty. Eventually I ended up getting a V3 90kw. They first gave me a refurbished 85kw that wasn’t Ludicrous mode capable. Judging by the part number and the number of cycles listed in TM-Spy I’m pretty sure mine is also new and not a refurb. I do have the + suspension. It is definitely a rare combination and I’m happy with how it turned out even though it has been a bit of a mess.

Nice, in my opinion you have probably the best made Model S. With the V3 battery especially if its 1088792 yours is just as fast if not faster than most P100DL 0-60mph. They will catch up in a 1/4 mile but the acceleration is usually faster in that battery. Check out the my acceleration/G's comapred to P100DL's
IMG_0544.PNG
IMG_2134.PNG
IMG_2135.PNG
IMG_2136.PNG
IMG_2137.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: RabidYak

These are the top P100DL's in the world that use a dragy device that I am showing a comparison too.

I have a 8/2016 P90DL with a 1088792-00-A battery. The car felt just as quick as the P100DL I test drove until the 2019.8.x FW. It really does feel like it has lost around 100hp.

I think we should get a story going with one of the Tesla enthusiast sites/magazines. Someone earlier had said they had put in a note with someone but not sure where that's gone.

If Tesla was committed to resolving this, then why are they continuing to allow P85DL and P90DL's update to the latest firmware? Surely they would flag the rest of the fleet and just block the update. Tells me there's something not so right going on here.

Does anyone have any real before and after timeslip or dragy comparisons? Under comparable conditions ? I have a p85dl and my dragy times before and after are almost exactly the same. Sometimes you might think your car is slower and really you are just used to it.

Just chiming in here after participating in the poll as well.
Got the update this morning to 2019.12.1.2 in my 11/2014 P85D AP1 and Insane+ seems to do nothing. Turned off AC and listened outside while the button was selected and nothing.
Yeah, when the battery was heating, the car sounded like a shopvac. I thought of trying something inventive, but it didn't work either...

Apparently, a new feature in the new firmware is that the battery will precondition itself when you're on your way to a supercharger, sooooo I put in the address of my local supercharger station and headed that way. Nothing. I turned on the field in teslafi raw data that showed the battery heater status and it never changed from false to true. Not sure if this is an AP2+/Model3 only feature though. Didn't have the patience to research it.

Apparently, a new feature in the new firmware is that the battery will precondition itself when you're on your way to a supercharger, sooooo I put in the address of my local supercharger station and headed that way. Nothing. I turned on the field in teslafi raw data that showed the battery heater status and it never changed from false to true. Not sure if this is an AP2+/Model3 only feature though. Didn't have the patience to research it.

I saw that too and it was in the release notes so I'm assuming it'll work with the AP1 vehicles as well. I would test as well but the closest SC is 45 minutes away.
Since it doesn't work in that way either it's almost like the heater isn't receiving the call from the BCM or something....