Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

max load from 12v socket?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mrklaw

Mar 5, 2020
Berkshire
with rumours of rolling blackouts and Tesla’s not having V2L, whats a safe limit to continuously draw for a few hours from the 12v socket? Enough to run some table lamps with LED bulbs? a travel kettle?

Have battery banks and phones for hotspots and can buy a couple of rechargable camping lanterns, but curious if we have cars that don’t need to leave their engines running, can they be of practical use without a ‘proper’ V2L system

Model 3 Manual:
8EDB26A4-9899-4CCB-A21B-E3AAC1CE6663.jpeg

12A at 12v so about 150w?

Yeah I've read about Tesla warranties if used as a 'stationary battery' but then when are you allowed to use it? surely a lot of people plug in tyre pumps or vacuums when parked which is technically a stationary battery? where is the line?

50W to drive a few LED lightbulbs is probably not much - we're not suggesting to run the AC off it

Not something I would risk. What is the wattage of the kettle?
If it's less than 144W then it would work safely. some if you were using multiple items, the combined power would still need to be 144W.
I'm afraid a kettle of 144W would make a barely lukewarm brew. They usually draw 2kW peak.

OP, are you suggesting using an inverter to convert the 12V socket into a 3 pin plug then?

I think for a few LED lights you’d be ok. The beauty of an EV is the battery size. Might need Sentry on to keep the car awake so it maintains the 12v. Probably leave the car plugged in so it’s earthed, RCD off? I’m sure there will be a few doom sayers!

12A at 12v so about 150w?

Yeah I've read about Tesla warranties if used as a 'stationary battery' but then when are you allowed to use it? surely a lot of people plug in tyre pumps or vacuums when parked which is technically a stationary battery? where is the line?

50W to drive a few LED lightbulbs is probably not much - we're not suggesting to run the AC off it
People don't plug in tyre inflaters or vacuums for hours at a time. I'm sure it would be trivial for Tesla to discover that you'd had something drawing power for an extended period of time if you have any battery issues.

We successfully used a 12v kettle on a 3,000 mile round trip to Norway. It was very convenient, and worked really well. Driver, err, drove, and the passenger sorted the drinks.

Only downside is that about a month later we had to replace the 12v battery (for the first time) on our 2017 Model X. No idea if it was related or not, but we started getting warning messages after a software update.

We successfully used a 12v kettle on a 3,000 mile round trip to Norway. It was very convenient, and worked really well. Driver, err, drove, and the passenger sorted the drinks.

Only downside is that about a month later we had to replace the 12v battery (for the first time) on our 2017 Model X. No idea if it was related or not, but we started getting warning messages after a software update.
Well, that sort of feedback is definitely encouraging me to never try it.