TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Max Power vs State of Charge and Temp

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Old Man Mike, Dec 24, 2015.

1. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

Until I see the log it didn't happen.

• Like x 1
  2. P85DEE

P85DEE Active Member

Yeah, I'm waiting patiently too.

3. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

Or maybe it was just at typo and 494 is really 454.

4. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

It's also a March P90DL. We should consider the possibility that the battery has changed since the 90 was first introduced. Could the very latest 90s really be P100DLs???

• Like x 1
  5. P85DEE

P85DEE Active Member

But that would mean that early P90D owners would have gotten shortchanged.

6. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

Normally I'd disagree. Just because a product is improved later doesn't mean the earlier buyers didn't get what they paid for.....

except that earlier buyers *didn't* get what they paid as nobody has gotten a 10.9 second 1/4. An extra 50 hp should allow all those 10.2 and 10.3 cars to dip down to 10.99999.

7. P85DEE

P85DEE Active Member

Yes, an additional 50 horses would do that. Bring improvement from 11.2-11.3 down into the 10.9 range.

8. ShotgunF15E

ShotgunF15E Member

Sure, how do I do that? I just started using the Powertools app on the iPhone.

9. ShotgunF15E

ShotgunF15E Member

• Informative x 2
  10. P85DEE

P85DEE Active Member

11. Old Man Mike

Old Man Mike Member

Holy Cow! How are you getting all that extra power. I see you have a 2016 P90D. Maybe you have a newer version software which allows the higher current. Can you tell us what version you are running?

12. msnow

msnow Active Member

Just as another data point, the new 90D's are getting better rated range (about 10-13 miles) than the earlier 90D's from last Fall. I've compared part numbers on the batteries and they are identical but something is "new and improved" from previous cars.

13. ShotgunF15E

ShotgunF15E Member

When that log was taken, I was running 2.20.30.

Tonight I did it again, this time 2.24.30 and had a peak power output of 501kw doing a 0-60 launch.

14. Old Man Mike

Old Man Mike Member

Thanks for the update. I updated the chart to show your results. It might help you understand why everyone is so excited since your P90D is showing as much improvement in power as the Ludicrous did to Insane mode. It might qualify for "Plaid":

[​IMG]

It will be most interesting to see if anyone else can show that level of performance. Perhaps one of the software updates makes the MaxBattPwr setting more effective and we've all just missed it. One more question: I noticed in your latest log file that the SOC went from 99 to 100% right before you launched. Did you have access to a charger just before doing the 0-60 run?

• Informative x 1
  15. ShotgunF15E

ShotgunF15E Member

Yes. I came right off the charger and did the launch about a mile away. However, I think what you're seeing is regen. If you look at the power, I'm pulling in a negative kw from regen as the car is going down a hill (I also lose about 50 ft in elevation). Right at the bottom of the hill, I come to a full stop and then do the launch.

I think the increase in power happened at some software release that we missed recently. I'm not convinced yet that there is anything different with the hardware of my car vs any older P90DL. Hopefully the data will show that all the lines can move up and enjoy a boost in power and performance.

• Like x 1
  16. msnow

msnow Active Member

How do you account for the EPA rated range increase from 2015 to 2016 or is this only true on non performance models? I've always thought they used the same battery in both.

17. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

aerodynamics due to the nose and change in base wheels.

• Like x 1
  18. LVSP85D

LVSP85D Member

Wow this is awesome news

19. Zybd1201

Zybd1201 Member

Seems highly likely.

20. msnow

msnow Active Member

No, the EPA rating occurred long before the refresh. The only thing I can think of is a change in hardware (e.g. battery, BMS).