Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max Power vs State of Charge and Temp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But that would mean that early P90D owners would have gotten shortchanged.

Normally I'd disagree. Just because a product is improved later doesn't mean the earlier buyers didn't get what they paid for.....

except that earlier buyers *didn't* get what they paid as nobody has gotten a 10.9 second 1/4. An extra 50 hp should allow all those 10.2 and 10.3 cars to dip down to 10.99999.

Just as another data point, the new 90D's are getting better rated range (about 10-13 miles) than the earlier 90D's from last Fall. I've compared part numbers on the batteries and they are identical but something is "new and improved" from previous cars.

When that log was taken, I was running 2.20.30.

Tonight I did it again, this time 2.24.30 and had a peak power output of 501kw doing a 0-60 launch.

Thanks for the update. I updated the chart to show your results. It might help you understand why everyone is so excited since your P90D is showing as much improvement in power as the Ludicrous did to Insane mode. It might qualify for "Plaid":

TeslaPwr21.jpg

It will be most interesting to see if anyone else can show that level of performance. Perhaps one of the software updates makes the MaxBattPwr setting more effective and we've all just missed it. One more question: I noticed in your latest log file that the SOC went from 99 to 100% right before you launched. Did you have access to a charger just before doing the 0-60 run?

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Thanks for the update. I updated the chart to show your results. It might help you understand why everyone is so excited since your P90D is showing as much improvement in power as the Ludicrous did to Insane mode. It might qualify for "Plaid":

TeslaPwr21.jpg

It will be most interesting to see if anyone else can show that level of performance. Perhaps one of the software updates makes the MaxBattPwr setting more effective and we've all just missed it. One more question: I noticed in your latest log file that the SOC went from 99 to 100% right before you launched. Did you have access to a charger just before doing the 0-60 run?

Yes. I came right off the charger and did the launch about a mile away. However, I think what you're seeing is regen. If you look at the power, I'm pulling in a negative kw from regen as the car is going down a hill (I also lose about 50 ft in elevation). Right at the bottom of the hill, I come to a full stop and then do the launch.

I think the increase in power happened at some software release that we missed recently. I'm not convinced yet that there is anything different with the hardware of my car vs any older P90DL. Hopefully the data will show that all the lines can move up and enjoy a boost in power and performance.

Reactions: Old Man Mike
Yes. I came right off the charger and did the launch about a mile away. However, I think what you're seeing is regen. If you look at the power, I'm pulling in a negative kw from regen as the car is going down a hill (I also lose about 50 ft in elevation). Right at the bottom of the hill, I come to a full stop and then do the launch.

I think the increase in power happened at some software release that we missed recently. I'm not convinced yet that there is anything different with the hardware of my car vs any older P90DL. Hopefully the data will show that all the lines can move up and enjoy a boost in power and performance.
How do you account for the EPA rated range increase from 2015 to 2016 or is this only true on non performance models? I've always thought they used the same battery in both.