Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum battery charge level reduced and charge complete?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi.

I was wondering your thoughts on this. My 2014 model S 85 displayed the message “maximum battery charge level reduced”. When I went to charge it , it would just tell me that the charge is complete. I could not charge my battery and eventually it ran out of charge to 0%

I called Tesla and they are telling me that it is a firmware bug and that it will be fixed in the next firmware update. But when I google searched this problem online people are saying it’s battery failure

what do you think? Is this just a bug in the firmware?

I had the same error, 2013 P85. Car was taken in for battery replacement, but then SC said it was a "calculation issue" resolved by updating the firmware (which incidentally also took some 12-13 kms range off). However, problem persisted and now I have a new (remanufactured) battery.

I got this message in january 2020 on my 2013 S85. I contacted the service center and they told me the battery was to be changed under warranty. I've always been very skeptical about this error message and the subsequent battery change. I have the feeling that this message was fake and was a way to recall batteries of 2013-2014 S85 before they develop problems (cought fire or something) but that the battery had no real problem at the time the message appeared.

• Informative
Reactions: Dreaminofsurf
I received this message on June 18th..scheduled an SC appointment immediately. My vehicle wouldn’t charge and battery percentage kept declining. SC had me do home tests first... they wanted me to restart the car, upload a firmware update that they had “confirmed” was the problem, let my car sit for 24 hours. Finally after no tests worked they asked me to bring the car in to the SC. They installed a new HV battery and a new 12 volt battery that were both covered under warranty this past Thursday. For the past 3 days i have received push notifications that the “software update has failed”. I called the SC to find out what these mean and was told that they have been having trouble getting new batteries to take updates and that engineering in CA will need to do remote diagnostics and as soon as they get the new update to take i will have my car back. Pushing about 3 weeks without my vehicle is having me question whether or not the pros outweigh the cons of owning a Tesla.

I also drive a 2014 model S60

I received this message on June 18th..scheduled an SC appointment immediately. My vehicle wouldn’t charge and battery percentage kept declining. SC had me do home tests first... they wanted me to restart the car, upload a firmware update that they had “confirmed” was the problem, let my car sit for 24 hours. Finally after no tests worked they asked me to bring the car in to the SC. They installed a new HV battery and a new 12 volt battery that were both covered under warranty this past Thursday. For the past 3 days i have received push notifications that the “software update has failed”. I called the SC to find out what these mean and was told that they have been having trouble getting new batteries to take updates and that engineering in CA will need to do remote diagnostics and as soon as they get the new update to take i will have my car back. Pushing about 3 weeks without my vehicle is having me question whether or not the pros outweigh the cons of owning a Tesla.

Friday my first long trip since lockdown 60 miles to Ikea Bristol ( total hell) coming home lost 40 miles of charge plugged in home charging next morning as shocked to see down to 10 miles of charge. Thinking car was charged up in the afternoon found zero miles and error message cabin overheating. Called roadside and told to get recovery Monday to take to SC. RAC charged 12v to get power for recovery . Sent independent recovery Pm same drama. Main Battery refuses to charge. Car is 2014 85 I’ve owned since new with only 37K . SC says will charge me for a diagnostic. I’m quite worried to hear the news from SC

I just got this error message, too, on my 2019 Model 3 Standard Plus and I tried to schedule the earliest appointment possible, which is October 29, 2021! I won't survive more than 3 weeks' wait. My one way commute is more than the maximum charge that it will now hold (50 miles) so I can't get to work (essential sector). Help, please?

Any advice for how to get service sooner?

Tried rebooting/restarting a dozen times. Haven't tried a factory reset yet.
Running software version 2021.32.21.

...Any advice for how to get service sooner?...

How far away is a nearest Service Center? I would drive it there and talk to a human because 50 miles is pretty much useless.

Unfortunately, you might need alternative transportation for a while because they might not have your battery on hand and have to order it.

Hello,

A couple of weeks ago my battery was limited to 43%. I took the car to Tesla for evaluation and they said that I had to replace the battery. My car is a 2013 Model S. I bought it used from Tesla 5 years ago. Tesla had replaced the battery on mine under warranty in June 2021 and have only drive the car 4K miles since. The cost of the battery was to high so I took the car with the intention to sell it to Carmax. I got it appeased at Carmax and today I was getting the car ready to take it so I did a factory reset and I left it in charge when I returned a few hours later the car was charging like normal and the error was gone. I hope this story helps someone else here.

Reactions: investmentgamer
Hello,

A couple of weeks ago my battery was limited to 43%. I took the car to Tesla for evaluation and they said that I had to replace the battery. My car is a 2013 Model S. I bought it used from Tesla 5 years ago. Tesla had replaced the battery on mine under warranty in June 2021 and have only drive the car 4K miles since. The cost of the battery was to high so I took the car with the intention to sell it to Carmax. I got it appeased at Carmax and today I was getting the car ready to take it so I did a factory reset and I left it in charge when I returned a few hours later the car was charging like normal and the error was gone. I hope this story helps someone else here.
In my opinion Tesla did not diagnose my car at all.

In my opinion Tesla did not diagnose my car at all.
Hi
Wondering if your car is still showing the higher battery range as you saw after Factory reset? I had same issue, a 2013 model S, went from 180 miles range to 62 miles overnight. I did what you suggested, did Factory reset. It did improve the battery charge range to 160 miles. Thank you. But after 10 days of driving and charging it went back to 60 miles charging capability. Any thoughts on this and did you have the same problem?