Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum following distance.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That might depend on where you’re driving. On LA freeways, if I set it to more than four car lengths, people tailgate, swerve around and cut in front of me.
Two is my default setting, and I change it to 1 when it's busy... The car will react much faster to the vehicle in front slowing down than you would.

BTW: if it's raining I will increase the setting.

Two is my default setting, and I change it to 1 when it's busy... The car will react much faster to the vehicle in front slowing down than you would.

BTW: if it's raining I will increase the setting.
Ha! I once had it set to one car length by accident on the freeway. Before I realized what had happened, several cars ahead of me thought I was tailgating them and kept moving over into the slower lanes.

The Enhanced Autopilot follow setting enables you to adjust the follow time of your Tesla. This is the time it takes for your vehicle, at your present speed, to cover the distance to the rear bumper of the vehicle directly ahead. As a result the follow distance will automatically be adjusted for your speed. The faster you are driving the longer the follow distance will be to maintain the same follow time. At 60 MPH 1 second of follow distance = 88ft (approx 6 car lengths). In stop and go traffic the follow distance, even if set to "7" will be smaller than 1 car length. A safe follow distance is generally 2.5 to 3 seconds, assuming dry roads and good visibility.

In rural Canada we want a setting like 10 or 12- The roads are not congested here, and if you follow as close as “7” You are going to get a lot of rock chips in your windshield. There’s a lot of features on this car that are LA freeway inspired and make no sense here. Autopilot is hilarious/scary on our occasional 2-lane passing sections...

Reactions: BitJam
I would be happy with the 7 setting if it would react quicker to cars slowing down ahead. It's surely a tradeoff to not keep adjusting the speed too often, but even a very gentle slowdown would prevent it having to use the friction brakes. Using friction brakes on the highway is a moral failure! And that's all I have to say about that. Hmph.

Reactions: CapsEngineer