Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maxton Design Diffuser: Kpeng Improved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed this morning, a total breeze and 9/10 on ease of install and fit. 10/10 on finish. Took less than 25 min on a lift and taking our sweet time (taking pics, pre-cleaning, prep, wood block to create some temp room between the rear splash shield and trunk cavity while drilling holes).

View attachment 554039 View attachment 554046

Link to the push clips used:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JR6TT65?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

What was the purpose of that wood block in your last 2 pictures?

Installed this morning, a total breeze and 9/10 on ease of install and fit. 10/10 on finish. Took less than 25 min on a lift and taking our sweet time (taking pics, pre-cleaning, prep, wood block to create some temp room between the rear splash shield and trunk cavity while drilling holes).

The matt textured plastic is probably more flexible, maliable than the carbonfiber look and gloss finish pieces, and as a result the diffuser a. fit perfectly over the existing fins b. sat flush vs splash shield and OE diffuser) and c. didnt even need any VHB tape.

Full disclaimer - I came ready with plenty VHB tape (different widths), dremel, masking tape etc to perform the kpeng style mod, but in the case of this material or this material plus this particular injection mold piece - there was no need!
We skipped the tape because of good flush fitment and the amount of push pins we were going to use... plus this way the piece is easy to remove for servicing or access above it. Water is also free to flow out instead of getting trapped in there behind the tape in the fin channels.

To get this done, having a buddy (to line things up and help, while you or the other drill pilot holes for the initial few push clips) is key. Probably could be done by one person, but would be a bit of a PITA.

From there, we just moved in a criss-cross pattern, and added push clips along the outer and inner edge of each section between the fins. We also did the same for the two little side winglets (which do not stick out but are a shadow match of the plastic you see on either end past the OE fins).

You can see the location of each push clip in the bottom up pic below. And the push clips used in a separate photo. Link to them on Amazon soon.

Very satisfied with the fit, OE plastic matching finish, small weight, good flex and the install as well as the final fairly subtle look.

Maxton Design Poland did good with this diffuser, the V1 front lip, and for those who like/want them - the sideskirt extensions. Great success!

View attachment 554033 View attachment 554034 View attachment 554035 View attachment 554037 View attachment 554038 View attachment 554039 View attachment 554046

Link to the push clips used:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JR6TT65?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thanks for the write up as it helped me with my install. I’m not sure if it’s mentioned anywhere, but I used a 5/16 drill bit and worked well with the push pins you suggested.

Reactions: Perscitus
I got my matte textured rear diffuser and sideskirts yesterday from the BF sale. Looks like they have a Boxing Day 15% off sale now. Good price already and better now with sale. Will probably look at installing it in the next week or so.

Link to sale: Tesla
15% is definitely a great discount considering the already low price. I installed my rear diffuser about 2 months ago and although I like the style because it's quite subtle, the fitment is not great.

diffuser1.jpg
diffuser2.jpg

Last edited:
I got my matte textured rear diffuser and sideskirts yesterday from the BF sale. Looks like they have a Boxing Day 15% off sale now. Good price already and better now with sale. Will probably look at installing it in the next week or so.

Link to sale: Tesla

nice - definitely a good one for the price. I’m curious to see the side skirts installed and how much lower they go.

865BFE21-EDF8-405D-93AF-102E806DA651.jpeg

@dmd2005, if you decide to use vhb tape use adhesion promoter.

Thanks for the tip and great idea. I’ll order some adhesion promoter and wait till it gets here before installing the sideskirts. Maxton project is going to have to wait since I have to remove ALP laser jammer and Blackvue from my Model X that I am trading in for a MY Dec 30th. Took one on a test drive over Xmas and it was a 2021 VIN with only 300 km, so can’t say no to demo discount and 1 year of free supercharging.

about $200 if i can remember correctly - that included shipping.
Sale is still on BUT that's Maxton Canada. It's currently $196 CAD and normally $230 CAD. I bought mine back in May and was charged $75 shipping (that hurt a bit).

@dmd2005, tip number 2 since it's pretty cold around these parts is, if possible, do it inside a garage and run a heater until all the panels are warmed up. Congrats on the MY

Sale is still on BUT that's Maxton Canada. It's currently $196 CAD and normally $230 CAD. I bought mine back in May and was charged $75 shipping (that hurt a bit).

@dmd2005, tip number 2 since it's pretty cold around these parts is, if possible, do it inside a garage and run a heater until all the panels are warmed up. Congrats on the MY

Thanks.

Yes, I’m waiting till the adhesive promoter arrives and will have parts indoors before installing in my garage with a Big Buddy heater and a couple of heat guns ready. My friend is gonna help with aligning everything as the adhesive promoter is not forgiving with the 3M tape once we install the parts.

Reactions: tlr1000
15% is definitely a great discount considering the already low price. I installed my rear diffuser about 2 months ago and although I like the style because it's quite subtle, the fitment is not great.

Agreed! Although I think my install technique wasn’t the best. Was doing it myself so had to prop it up somehow to drill holes and attach. My mistake was drilling/attaching the two ends first so I didn’t have to prop it up after that. When I finished attaching the center it kind of buckled/warped as it didn’t sit perfectly flat. Too late to fix. Not noticeable until up close. So tip, start from the center!