Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maybe I’m overreacting?! 😱 [first curb rash]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are overreacting.

It’s easier to curb a model Y LR than any other vehicle I’ve ever driven.
All Tesla's are easy to curb, it's not just a Model Y thing. This is because Tesla insists on using wheel setups where the rim sticks out as much as the tire. With most vehicles the tire sticks out more than the rims, so they are protected in most situations. The only way around this is to get a different wheel set.

• Informative
Reactions: Joesmoe3
All Tesla's are easy to curb, it's not just a Model Y thing. This is because Tesla insists on using wheel setups where the rim sticks out as much as the tire. With most vehicles the tire sticks out more than the rims, so they are protected in most situations. The only way around this is to get a different wheel set.
My '21 MYLR had rims that protruded past the rubber as you mention. However my '23 MYP came with Michelin tires that have a little rubber edge that sticks out about an 1/8th of an inch past the rims. I don't know how much protection it'll provide I hope I don't find out.

Attachments

• 20230916_112032.jpg
    20230916_112032.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: zoomer0056
My '21 MYLR had rims that protruded past the rubber as you mention. However my '23 MYP came with Michelin tires that have a little rubber edge that sticks out about an 1/8th of an inch past the rims. I don't know how much protection it'll provide I hope I don't find out.
It really won't provide any protection from what I saw. The first decent length trip we took in my 23 MYP we got curb rash at the hotel. Did not hear anything (like rubber or metal scraping) when we parked, but got out and saw the rim right against the curb. Backed it off and wanted to scream or cry or something. Had to get some of that paint from Zinks - it was a good solid match.

I had my M3LR for two days when I parked it front of a seaside restaurant....when I came back the restaurant owner was wrestling with a parasol (the big ones that the diners sit under for shade)...the wind gust got the better of him and it just nicked the hood of my car😱....luckily I was just getting into the car at the time and saw him (I hadn’t yet learnt to set the Sentry Mode)...and after a lot of bureaucracy and time (and huge effort by my very patient wife) the insurance coughed up for the repair.
Never ever hit the curb....but several times the curb has ambushed my rims🥺😳

Reactions: fholbert
I curbed my Y at a toll booth in New Jersey.

Curb rash!

Toll booth!

New JERSEY!

Anyway, all four wheels have scratches now so to hell with it. I drive my car because that's what it's for. 80,800+ miles. It's not going to be perfect forever.

I hit the same curb with 2 different wheels at 20 miles and 120 miles.
ouch! Sorry to hear that...did you fix or just forget about it. I'm avoiding looking at it when I walk buy the car! 🙈

ouch! Sorry to hear that...did you fix or just forget about it. I'm avoiding looking at it when I walk buy the car! 🙈
Well yeah, technically it's got dozens of sensors! None of them are for preventing or even mitigating curb rashing a front wheel, though.
Really? The Ultrasonic's give plenty of warning on both of my S's. I've driven my model s for 8 years with nary a curb strike...other than this: Was a nice day in march, with some spirited driving downtown TO, around a wide sweaping high speed S bend, and the back end slide EVER SO SLIGHTLY and the right rear tire, BARELY kissed the curb! I had forgotten I had my winter tires on, and it drifted. When we stopped I got out and found a light .75" rub mark on finish. When I changed my tires I left the wheel there and they recoated it for C$125. Not bad?! I told myself I wouldn't get mad at this stuff anymore...working on this!

I like the other poster's idea of 18"s they might be a little more forgiving. Can you set the car for 18" wheels for range etc? I know the 20's are 460KM and 19's are 497KM. I wonder about the 18"?

I curbed my Y at a toll booth in New Jersey.

Curb rash!

Toll booth!

New JERSEY!

Anyway, all four wheels have scratches now so to hell with it. I drive my car because that's what it's for. 80,800+ miles. It's not going to be perfect forever.
Nooooo! Not in a toll booth lane?! That's just not fair. Stopping to pay, then you need to pay again for repair? Bullsh*t!

I know you're right, I'm trying to adopt this mindset. My wife is much cooler than me about these things. "i'll deal with it don't worry." That's the attitude, or drive (like you said) and enjoy it. I had a spirited drive in it yesterday, geez even for a non performance this thing moves out! So much fun to drive, I can't believe it. I can only imagine the MYP!

Reactions: LoudMusic
I think you were just lucky and has nothing to do with Tesla build quality. But door dings happen to vehicles when idiots park too close or just fling open their doors without thinking while parked next other cars. It doesn't help the parking spots have gotten smaller over the years, just to get more spaces. I normally practice defensive parking and as far away from other cars as possible. But sometimes a lot is crowded and that's when I cringe because other people don't care. Sentry Mode recorded video of people leaning against my car, I couldn't believe it. People are jerks with no concern for others property.
I find it baffling how some individuals seem completely indifferent. On two separate occasions, I was in my car when two different women carelessly opened their doors and damaged mine. Instead of acknowledging their mistake, they denied it outright. It's frustrating to witness such behavior, whether it happens to you or someone else, especially in situations like these.

You are overreacting.

It’s easier to curb a model Y LR than any other vehicle I’ve ever driven. The rims protrude outside of the rubber of the tires and they’re so low profile that any minor contact with anything results in metal touching concrete. I guarantee you, you would have done the same.

Also, you said you wanted 19 inch rims but ended up with 21; did you get a performance instead of LR, the biggest stock rims for LR are 20.

P.S. the sensors detect forward and rear obstructions they’re worthless for any type of side impact. Also they’re cameras not USS so they’re pretty much worthless for anything.
Tesla Vision draws coloured bands around the sides...orange means you're good, red is you're too close! I tried this yesterday with my wife in my car. Pulled up to curb, about a foot out, line was orange.

Glad you can get over it so quickly, me not so much. Yes, it's only a car, but it's not an inexpensive car and for me unless it's an off road vehicle and I took it off road, damage to it so soon would bother the heck out me. Because if I got it fixed that's money out of my pocket I could have used for other things. And if I didn't get it fixed, it would be like a burned out pixel on the computer screen reminding me everyday that it was there. And it wouldn't be my friend. lol
Oh damn, sorry ! I did this on my 2015 MS in a super low-ceiling parking garage, out shopping with my wife. Popped the trunk, tried to stop it before it it a low lying pipe, too late! Two small chips in paint. Funny thing is no one cared when I traded it in. "Sir, your car is perfect, you've kept great care of it!" Yes I did, thank-you! No curb rash no dings no scratches, lots of Maguire's Ultimate Compound and probably way too much worrying!

Reactions: zoomer0056