Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maybe I’m overreacting?! 😱 [first curb rash]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

easyev

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2023
Toronto
So I ordered my Y a couple of weeks ago.

I wanted White - my wife’s first choice
Black interior - Better for the kids
The smaller wheels - better range, and curb protection
AWD LR

What was available and en route was:

Grey (my first coloured choice!)
White interior - I like it. I think it’s fresh. We will get seat covers.
21” turbine wheels or wherever they are called.

The car had 10km on it
The very next day, less than 24 hours later and 35km on the the clock, my wife bumped into a curb and marked a front wheel. She’s said it wasn’t bad. It’s gouged! 😡

I’m pissed! I’m getting it fixed but come on!

She knows to leave a good distance to curb
The car has freaking sensors
I’m so frustrated.

Thinking ot getting a silver 19” winter package that’ll hard the marks better then I can fix the damaged wheel.

On my second day of owning my Y the lift-gate hit the top of the garage door leaving a nick.
I got over it!
Its only a car.
I was just cleaning my Model Y last night and realized how many nicks and scratches my tailgate has from opening and hitting the garage. Most are from “pocket openings” where the app is open and somehow the tailgate open action gets initiated. In the past, I’d be pissed. But now in my mid-life years, I’m over babying the car. :)

So I ordered my Y a couple of weeks ago.

I wanted White - my wife’s first choice
Black interior - Better for the kids
The smaller wheels - better range, and curb protection
AWD LR

What was available and en route was:

Grey (my first coloured choice!)
White interior - I like it. I think it’s fresh. We will get seat covers.
21” turbine wheels or wherever they are called.

The car had 10km on it
The very next day, less than 24 hours later and 35km on the the clock, my wife bumped into a curb and marked a front wheel. She’s said it wasn’t bad. It’s gouged! 😡

I’m pissed! I’m getting it fixed but come on!

She knows to leave a good distance to curb
The car has freaking sensors
I’m so frustrated.

Thinking ot getting a silver 19” winter package that’ll hard the marks better then I can fix the damaged wheel.
Forgive her. Now that you have one, you can start to notice that most Teslas on the road have road rash. Tesla stretches the tires on wide wheels for efficiency. You can buy wider tires or skinnier wheels.

On my second day of owning my Y the lift-gate hit the top of the garage door leaving a nick.
I got over it!
Its only a car.
Glad you can get over it so quickly, me not so much. Yes, it's only a car, but it's not an inexpensive car and for me unless it's an off road vehicle and I took it off road, damage to it so soon would bother the heck out me. Because if I got it fixed that's money out of my pocket I could have used for other things. And if I didn't get it fixed, it would be like a burned out pixel on the computer screen reminding me everyday that it was there. And it wouldn't be my friend. lol

Screenshot_20231001_111703_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I’m shocked how delicate the cars are.
I have to agree with you on this. My last Tesla has so many windshield chips it wasn't funny. I never have been so worried about someone hitting my car than I have been when owning a Tesla. Probably because my first Tesla was backed into and it took forever to repair. And probably because there are so few Tesla Service Centers and the ones that are close to me are hours away. Now I'm on my second Tesla and Tesla is building a service center here, so hopefully I will be less fearful.

Having purchased 3 Teslas this year, I’m shocked how delicate the cars are. Paint chips, curb rash, cracked rim, bumper dent… I can go on and on. I came from a F150 and Bronco which were much more durable.
TBH that was my base assumption for all things Tesla… delicate, easy to damage, etc. But my last trip, I stopped in a gas station at Kettleman City. A rental Nissan Altima pulled in on my left. I’m in the car, watching the Altima’s back passenger… without even looking up or out, she proceeds to swing her door wide open at full strength. The sound of the impact was loud, and her door bounced right back at her. I flipped out and proceeded to give her a full dressing down. People came over to see what happened also because the sound of the door impacting was that loud.

We looked at my driver-side rear door… im fully expecting a huge dent… and lo and behold, not a single mark. I was still furious and she was mortified. Kept apologizing but it still doesn’t excuse that kind of behavior. Only amazing part was that the door didn’t have a single mark, chip or dent. So Tesla build quality… YMMV 😂

We looked at my driver-side rear door… im fully expecting a huge dent… and lo and behold, not a single mark. I was still furious and she was mortified. Kept apologizing but it still doesn’t excuse that kind of behavior. Only amazing part was that the door didn’t have a single mark, chip or dent. So Tesla build quality… YMMV 😂
I think you were just lucky and has nothing to do with Tesla build quality. But door dings happen to vehicles when idiots park too close or just fling open their doors without thinking while parked next other cars. It doesn't help the parking spots have gotten smaller over the years, just to get more spaces. I normally practice defensive parking and as far away from other cars as possible. But sometimes a lot is crowded and that's when I cringe because other people don't care. Sentry Mode recorded video of people leaning against my car, I couldn't believe it. People are jerks with no concern for others property.

You are overreacting.

It’s easier to curb a model Y LR than any other vehicle I’ve ever driven. The rims protrude outside of the rubber of the tires and they’re so low profile that any minor contact with anything results in metal touching concrete. I guarantee you, you would have done the same.

Also, you said you wanted 19 inch rims but ended up with 21; did you get a performance instead of LR, the biggest stock rims for LR are 20.

P.S. the sensors detect forward and rear obstructions they’re worthless for any type of side impact. Also they’re cameras not USS so they’re pretty much worthless for anything.

Last edited: