Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maybe I’m overreacting?! 😱 [first curb rash]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
well.. i use to be how are all these people curbing there wheels.. and the other day i did it.. not bad but still.( i was so mad.. lot of bad words inside the car) LOL. ordered some paint going to sand it and paint.. then today i go to target and see another brand new model y and wow they got the front and back wheel on the driver side. (really bad like a meat grinder) . i didn't even look at the passenger side..

Reactions: easyev
I know, the day after my rant about the two curb hits in 24 hours (WTF?!) I turned the corner on my street only see a new looking Model Y parked there with so much curb rash on both driver’s side wheels it looked to be vandalized on with a course mill file, bastard cut!

IMG_8496.jpeg

My only experience was from a friend who put those on his Model 3. When he ran up against a curb again, the wheel band was destroyed..so, in one sense, they do work. He did not replace the one and took the others off. Maybe another brand would have worked.
Yea. I guess that means they work. My biggest concern would be they fly off if you are on the highway.
Also there’s no video on how to install them…how easy is it?

This is exactly why I never use valet parking. I don't let family drive my car, why would I let a stranger? lol
Agreed. Normally I wouldn't, but this was a hospital valet and I'd taken my wife there for a procedure. The cars were being parked right there by the valet stand. She didn't move it more than 50 feet, I don't think.

And I didn't mention that my wife did them all...until Today! I did a major one and will have to get out my tools and metallic paints..again!
You're so good at this, I wish you were in Toronto! You've got the right attitude, there's no sense in making too big a deal of this, it's bound to happened to all of us, one day!

The first thing I did before I even picked up my Model Y was to order new set of black Gemini 19" wheel covers. I drove the Y home and replace the silver covers with my all black covers that completely protect the rims. I don't worry about curb rash anymore. ;)View attachment 988708View attachment 988709
That blue is delicious, wow! My Model S is that colour...love it! 😍

Reactions: DJ DizzR
The first thing I did before I even picked up my Model Y was to order new set of black Gemini 19" wheel covers. I drove the Y home and replace the silver covers with my all black covers that completely protect the rims. I don't worry about curb rash anymore. ;)View attachment 988708View attachment 988709
I wonder if you lose the aero effects with these new covers? They look amazing though...wow.

Reactions: DJ DizzR
I wonder if you lose the aero effects with these new covers? They look amazing though...wow.
I forgot to mention that those Tesla logo's light up white when I go at least 15 mph. I still need to take a video of it lit up. The wheel came with them. I snapped the middle onto the covers first, then installed the covers on the wheels. The Amazon ad advertised that they were designed to keep the aero effect. How much an effect? I have no idea.....but they do look great! Thanks!

I have curbrash on all 4 wheels and really don't care. I did a couple and my wife finished the job. Kind of like patina on fine silver...
You certainly are a better man than me about it. These cars cost a lot of many and so do the wheels and why it would bother the crap out of me. I never curbed wheels in 40 years of driving until I got a Model 3, it's because Tesla uses wheels that stick out as much as the tires, so the tires can't protect them, like in other vehicles. So the first thing I did what I got a Model Y Performance was replace the wheels to help prevent curb rash.