Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maybe I’m overreacting?! 😱 [first curb rash]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously it was partially my fault but I have never caused curb rash on any other vehicles in my life except for a Tesla. You can't see your wheels parallel parking when backing in at night or see your front tires when pulling in next to a curb. If the tires Tesla used had stuck our farther than the rims, then it no one would be talking about curb rash on a Tesla. So yes, part of the blame can be on Tesla. I say this because Elon pops off all the time about how FSD will save lives and help prevent people from making stupid mistakes, so with that same logic the car could be built to prevent stupid damage from happening, by using the right tires. No doubt uses their wheel combos to help with aerodynamics but I doubt tire side walls that stick out more make much of a difference. Why would they care about that tiny loss if any when they don't care about all the features that use battery power, features that really aren't needed but suck range, like power seats, air vent positions, electric display positions and even the power trunk.
This is a topic in every brand car forum I've looked. It's partially due to the current fad of convex wheels and low profile tires. But tires that stick out past the rims doesn't protect much given the weight of these vehicles. My wife's BMW X5 has big SUV tires that stick out way past the rims, the wheels are deeply concave, and she has rashed all four wheels.

But tires that stick out past the rims doesn't protect much given the weight of these vehicles.

Everyone I know that replaced their Tesla wheels with wheels where the tires stick out farther than the rims have stopped getting curb rash. Now of course it will depend on how fast you hit the curb for that weight of the vehicle to take the protection away. Because if I'm parking going 1 mph, my tires will most definitely protect the rims.

Reactions: laservet and easyev
Everyone I know that replaced their Tesla wheels with wheels where the tires stick out farther than the rims have stopped getting curb rash. Now of course it will depend on how fast you hit the curb for that weight of the vehicle to take the protection away. Because if I'm parking going 1 mph, my tires will most definitely protect the rims.
Maybe they’re more careful, too.

Reactions: Joesmoe3
Speed is not the only issue, force and angle are as well. You can mitigate it yes, but rubber gives & concrete doesn't. If you're backing in at a bad enough angle even at a snail's pace, the concrete will push the rubber in and scrape your wheel quite easily. You might get away with a light brush or two, or if you're parallel enough to spread the force and shift the car over, but it eventually happens. Sometimes the tire will pinch between the sidewalk and wheel, and rip the protective bead clean off or gouge out the sidewall if a driver is determined enough. I've seen it all and done it all in my years of driving.

Reactions: easyev
If you're backing in at a bad enough angle even at a snail's pace, the concrete will push the rubber in and scrape your wheel quite easily. You might get away with a light brush or two, or if you're parallel enough to spread the force and shift the car over, but it eventually happens.
Very true. All I know is that I've never had curb rash as often as I have owning a Tesla. I've never liked "rubber band" tires and certainly don't like wheels that stick out farther or even with the tires. The beefier the tire, the better in my book.

Very true. All I know is that I've never had curb rash as often as I have owning a Tesla. I've never liked "rubber band" tires and certainly don't like wheels that stick out farther or even with the tires. The beefier the tire, the better in my book.
Agreed on beefy tires. This Tesla is my first vehicle with the wheels sticking out like they do. It happens. My wheels were perfect till I gave my key to a careless valet a while back...

IMG-0731.jpg

The wife curbed the Gemini wheels on our 2022 MYLR twice in the first year. My eyes were drawn to the damage everytime I walked by the car and as the saying goes, "Once you see it, you can't unsee it." Got a set of Rimetrix Medusa wheel covers and they completely covered the damage and also improved the looks of the car. A worthwhile investment!

• Informative
That’s quite a gash. 🥹 Those look like wheel covers, a little bit bit cheaper and a little less hassle to replace.
Yeah, I was able to get a new set from the establishment, since the seller wouldn't sell just one. They were relieved to discover that they were wheel covers and they wouldn't have to replace a wheel.

And why I've never let a stranger (valet), drive my car. It's hard to prove they caused the damage, if you don't see it right away. And even then it becomes your word against theirs if they deny doing it.
It’s true, but you must admit in OP’s case. It was a great outcome, he handled it well. The other thing is most of us are car enthusiasts (being here qualifies lol) and we know our vehicles well. I’m sure we’ve all done the walk around before someone else gets the key card!

Reactions: Joesmoe3
And why I've never let a stranger (valet), drive my car. It's hard to prove they caused the damage, if you don't see it right away. And even then it becomes your word against theirs if they deny doing it.
Yeah, normally I wouldn't either. It wasn't a restaurant or anything...I was at a major hospital and the situation warranted me handing them the key. Having cameras all around the car is a strong motivator when it comes to fessing up.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Joesmoe3 and easyev