Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maybe I’m overreacting?! 😱 [first curb rash]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are overreacting.

It’s easier to curb a model Y LR than any other vehicle I’ve ever driven. The rims protrude outside of the rubber of the tires and they’re so low profile that any minor contact with anything results in metal touching concrete.
Actually all Tesla's are easy to curb and the Model Y Performance 21" wheels are even more low profile, so they are more prone to being damaged. I would be statistically, there are more Tesla's with wheel road damage than any other vehicles on the road. You'd think Tesla would fix this issue considering they like to talk about how maintenance free their cars are, but being stranded somewhere outside of cell service due to a damaged wheel, can really ruin you day, especially late at night when it's raining.

You certainly are a better man than me about it. These cars cost a lot of many and so do the wheels and why it would bother the crap out of me. I never curbed wheels in 40 years of driving until I got a Model 3, it's because Tesla uses wheels that stick out as much as the tires, so the tires can't protect them, like in other vehicles. So the first thing I did what I got a Model Y Performance was replace the wheels to help prevent curb rash.
I agree he’s a better man than me as well. My point is, why not stay 8 to 10 inches away from the curb, and avoid the things altogether? I showed my wife, the lines that go orange, which warn you your clothes, and when they go red turn the hell away from the curb lol. Well, I didn’t say it like that, she’s very sensitive to tone, but I was thinking it!

I traded in the model S after eight years. No dings, no curb rash no gouges or scratches just the odd stone chip. it wasn’t hard to keep it like that. I just had to be careful.

Trying to lighten up about it. My guy at work already wants to get the files out and spray paint and fix it. I’m thinking I get some 18s with winters then when they’re installed, we get the other one fixed like factory.

Can anyone tell me if there’s a setting for the 18 inch wheels? I’m thinking there isn’t, that you simply choose 19s?

I forgot to mention that those Tesla logo's light up white when I go at least 15 mph. I still need to take a video of it lit up. The wheel came with them. I snapped the middle onto the covers first, then installed the covers on the wheels. The Amazon ad advertised that they were designed to keep the aero effect. How much an effect? I have no idea.....but they do look great! Thanks!
Oh that’s pretty cool we will definitely have to see a video of that!!!! I’m thinking an ambient RGB lighting package would be nice, too. 😃

The first thing I did before I even picked up my Model Y was to order new set of black Gemini 19" wheel covers. I drove the Y home and replace the silver covers with my all black covers that completely protect the rims. I don't worry about curb rash anymore. ;)View attachment 988708View attachment 988709
I really really really wanted to get the blue, to match my car. My wife wouldn’t have any of it! Matching blue Teslas hahaha

well.. i use to be how are all these people curbing there wheels.. and the other day i did it.. not bad but still.( i was so mad.. lot of bad words inside the car) LOL. ordered some paint going to sand it and paint.. then today i go to target and see another brand new model y and wow they got the front and back wheel on the driver side. (really bad like a meat grinder) . i didn't even look at the passenger side..
Definitely not happy for other car damage but it’s a reality check to know we are not alone. I saw the same thing the next day at the end of my street both his black wheels were great so bad they had silver rings around them! I wanted to see the other side but didn’t want seem like a nut job checking the wheels out!

I agree he’s a better man than me as well. My point is, why not stay 8 to 10 inches away from the curb, and avoid the things altogether?

Can anyone tell me if there’s a setting for the 18 inch wheels? I’m thinking there isn’t, that you simply choose 19s?
Obviously, avoiding curbs is the best decision but sometimes it's not as easy as it sounds because with certain parking spots and at night, plus you can't see the front wheels. I've never had to be so careful parallel parking with any vehicle other than a Tesla.

And yeah, there is no 18" wheel setting so you have to use the 19" setting. You're speedometer won't be off by enough to notice.

Reactions: easyev
Obviously, avoiding curbs is the best decision but sometimes it's not as easy as it sounds because with certain parking spots and at night, plus you can't see the front wheels. I've never had to be so careful parallel parking with any vehicle other than a Tesla.

And yeah, there is no 18" wheel setting so you have to use the 19" setting. You're speedometer won't be off by enough to notice.
I used auto parts on my old model S quite a few times and it was pretty good. I don’t seem to have that option on the y and I don’t have it on my basic auto pilot S. no big deal. I can count the number of times that auto park “P” came up on both my hands. That’s OK I can at least upgrade to enhanced auto pilot someday, unlike the Porsche Taycan. Even a $250k used specTurbo S’s, no Burmester sound no third rear seat, no 19.2KW charger, and no auto park? I couldn’t take it and just bought the S. What a great car!

I used auto parts on my old model S quite a few times and it was pretty good. I don’t seem to have that option on the y and I don’t have it on my basic auto pilot S.
I never used it even when my 2018 Model 3 LR with FSD had it, but I probably should have. Since upgrading to a 2023 Model Y Performance and transferring over my FSD to it, I trust vision only even less but not sure I have on this HW4 car. But I also put on 18" Tsportline wheels on this car so the tires stick out more to protect the wheels from curb rash.

Reactions: easyev
I never used it even when my 2018 Model 3 LR with FSD had it, but I probably should have. Since upgrading to a 2023 Model Y Performance and transferring over my FSD to it, I trust vision only even less but not sure I have on this HW4 car. But I also put on 18" Tsportline wheels on this car so the tires stick out more to protect the wheels from curb rash.
Model Y performance - nice car ! Congrats 😊

"I'm not sure if the auto park feature is available for JW4 yet. My wife's car has a 3-month trial of FSD, but I haven't seen the auto park option anywhere.

I'm considering getting the 18s for her as a winter package. How's the ride and the range with those?

We're enjoying the FSD trial, but I hope it goes on sale or we can get a monthly $199 subscription like in the US. It still feels quite expensive!

During a 25 km drive, we didn't have to intervene once, which was amazing. However, a few times it veered into another lane with cars in it for no reason. But that's why we're behind the wheel – to catch it if it falters.

I'm really impressed with the technology in this car. It's like having an 'iPhone on wheels'!"

Reactions: laservet
It doesn't matter whether you are one year old or 90 year old. It is your fault and you should not blame the car. your car didn't damage your wheels, you did that.
Obviously it was partially my fault but I have never caused curb rash on any other vehicles in my life except for a Tesla. You can't see your wheels parallel parking when backing in at night or see your front tires when pulling in next to a curb. If the tires Tesla used had stuck our farther than the rims, then it no one would be talking about curb rash on a Tesla. So yes, part of the blame can be on Tesla. I say this because Elon pops off all the time about how FSD will save lives and help prevent people from making stupid mistakes, so with that same logic the car could be built to prevent stupid damage from happening, by using the right tires. No doubt uses their wheel combos to help with aerodynamics but I doubt tire side walls that stick out more make much of a difference. Why would they care about that tiny loss if any when they don't care about all the features that use battery power, features that really aren't needed but suck range, like power seats, air vent positions, electric display positions and even the power trunk.

Last edited:
I personally dont find the wheels easier to curb than any of my previous cars that had low profile tires.
2007 C230
2010 is250
2011 vw gti
2013 bmw 328i sport
2019 TM3 19 inch wheels

All eventually got a little curb rash from me being too impatient or misjudging a curb. Thing is, i would always be so upset with myself because at the time they happen, i knew i was taking a risk of them potentially getting damaged. I know i can drive without curbing wheels, it just takes being attentive. Id like to see a list of the previous cars that people are saying they never curbed wheels previous to Tesla.

Reactions: laservet and easyev
The car had 10km on it
The very next day, less than 24 hours later and 35km on the the clock, my wife bumped into a curb and marked a front wheel. She’s said it wasn’t bad. It’s gouged! 😡
Why is curb rash always the wife's fault? I curbed a set while dating my wife of 49 years but was her fault. I was head in parking with a curb on the passenger side. I wanted to be as close as possible for clearance to the car on my side. So, I asked her how far I was from the curb when just starting. She looked out and said 10". So, I moved over some and ssscccccccrape. I asked how did that happen. She held up her hands and asked if I remembered telling her this much was 10".

• Funny
Reactions: laservet and easyev
Now here’s man that knows how to make conversation! I hope being stereotypical here isn’t going to get me into trouble, as I don’t think you can edit a message after it’s been replied to. 😊

I think a nice addition here would be to include the wheel sizes.

- '75 Civic with 13’s
- '81 Civic with 13’s
- ‘88 CRX with 14’s
- ‘89 Civic with 14’s
- '91 Prelude with 14’s
- '97 Prelude with 15’s
- 2000 Pontiac GTP Supercharged (with tiny brakes!) 16’s
- 1996 BMW 328i - came with 15’s, +2’d to 17’s!
- 2004 Sti blue with gold 17’s
- 2007 Subaru Spec B with 18’s (curbed at a gas pump!!! my lovely fiancé at the time, said don’t worry about it she she’ll buy me a new one. Now that I think about it, it’s like a kid with a broken toy hahaha. I knew I picked the right woman!)
- 2008 MB C350 with 17’s
- 2013 Lexus GS350 with 19’s (missed my MB)
- 2012 MB C63 AMG p31 481hp (I needed to top this RWD gas guzzler!) 19’s
- 2015 Tessy P85DL+ 681hp, 404km range (great car!) 19’s
- 2022 Plaid with 21’s (I don’t like them; I want 19s)
Now, In the second last year of ownership with my P85DL I forgot I still had snowes on and I was going around a fast sweeper and the car was squirming around a lot more than I realized. I barely brushed (kissed?) a curb so lightly I looked at my wife and said, did you hear that that? She wasn’t sure. We got out and there was a tiny 0.75” inch mark on the wheel that was so light It was barely noticeable. Actually, I wasn’t upset as I was having so much fun in the car. There was *some* rim protection built into those tires but not a lot. (See pic below). The Y rims stick out further.

I think the model Y set ups are worse than this, and are more easily scraped if the tire touches the curb. I mean that’s really it isn’t it? If you bump into the curb, you might scratch a rim. If you stay 6-10 inches out, you won’t. I know it’s easy to say, and it depends where you live. In London just about every Model 3 we saw had scratched rims. Tight, narrow roads, narrow laneways etc would make it difficult not to curb.

IMG_8800.jpeg

Last edited: