Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maybe you should buy TSLA stock instead of a M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 2010, potential roadster buyers had a choice:
  1. Buy a base roadster for $110k
  2. Buy TSLA stock at $17 per share
I don't know how much the roadster is worth today, but $110k/$17 = 6,929 shares which is worth $2.5M today. It's kind of sad that an early adopter is financially punished for buying the product instead of the stock!

Anyway, past yields are not necessarily indicators of future results, but maybe you should buy stock instead of a M3.....

I don't know how much the roadster is worth today, but $110k/$17 = 6,929 shares which is worth $2.5M today. It's kind of sad that an early adopter is financially punished for buying the product instead of the stock!

Anyway, past yields are not necessarily indicators of future results, but maybe you should buy stock instead of a M3.....

The people who had the wealth to buy a Tesla Roadster in 2010 generally have enough assets to buy both the car and shares in the company.

This was not necessarily an either/or choice.

It's kind of sad that an early adopter is financially punished for buying the product instead of the stock!

What?! No one was "punished". They didn't do anything wrong and no one did anything to them on purpose. Buying stock is an investment buying a car, which is a depreciating asset, is not.

Reactions: ecarfan
Most financial planners aren't going to steer you to high risk high return tech companies, they rather not get yelled at than be lavishly thanked, can't say I'd be any different lol
Except he instead steered me to an investment that a lot of money. "You can't get out now, you'll lose money when it goes back up." It never did.

Or buy $10,000 of Amazon stock on IPO.

Or short TSLA for periods of time and use that to buy a Roadster / Model S

Or give my money to Bernie Madoff instead of buying a Roadster.

Or if I knew the strike price of TSLA next Friday, I sell my Model X for half off and get more money making the right call/put? I could empty out my bank account, borrow money from friends, max out my HELOC, etc, etc, etc, etc ,etc ,etc etc, etc ,etc

This could go endless...

Better question setup might be:

I have no need for a car, should I buy a M3 for the hell of it or invest it all?

Or

I need a car, what is best bang for the buck if $40k is my price range?

Or buy $10,000 of Amazon stock on IPO.

Or short TSLA for periods of time and use that to buy a Roadster / Model S

Or give my money to Bernie Madoff instead of buying a Roadster.

Or if I knew the strike price of TSLA next Friday, I sell my Model X for half off and get more money making the right call/put? I could empty out my bank account, borrow money from friends, max out my HELOC, etc, etc, etc, etc ,etc ,etc etc, etc ,etc

This could go endless...

Better question setup might be:

I have no need for a car, should I buy a M3 for the hell of it or invest it all?

Or

I need a car, what is best bang for the buck if $40k is my price range?
I kinda want to invest 20k now and see if it'll be enough to purchase the new roadster when it finally comes out :)

Reactions: Mickie
This is kind of an apples to oranges comparison because most people don't pay for their car in cash. They get a loan and pay it back over time. This will be especially true of the Model 3. Investing in stocks with loaned money is generally considered to be monumentally stupid.

I have a tiny amount of shares in Tesla, just to show my support, and it's way up which is nice. It would not be enough to pay for a Model 3 even if I sold it all, but it's all I could afford to do.

Apples and oranges
Compare buying a $ 110K Tesla sports car to another $110K sport s car of another brand form the same vintage and compare resale values of today.
Then compare buying tesla stocks to other automobile company stocks from the same date an compare resale value today .
You could also have bought and compared $110K of bananas to apples and oranges

Reactions: zenmaster

As big a fan as I am of Tesla, I find it hard to recommend buying Tesla stock at this point. It may go higher, but I think it's a bit of a crap shoot at this point, and the buy in price is really high now. When I first bought Tesla stock, it was $30 a share. At that price, an investor could have bought 1000 shares for $30,000. That's a viable investment. But now, even if you could get the same return over again, the price for that 1000 share investment starts at $375,000. The time to invest was back then when it was < $100 / share. It's not nearly as attractive now. People might still make a lot of money on it, but it's I think not as guaranteed and there's a lot more initial investment cash on the line.

Reactions: CTreast and JeffK