TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

MC240 charger

Discussion in 'Tesla Parts for Sale' started by Gunnar, May 7, 2009.

1. Gunnar

Gunnar Member

I would like to buy a 240v Mobile Charger if this exists. Tesla says it's on 8-12 weeks backorder.

Did they supply this as an option on the existing roadsters? Has anyone seen used MC240s for sale?

I will pay good money for one. Please let me know.

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

3. BBHighway

BBHighway Member

I had ordered the MC240 charger with my car, having backed down to that to save money after the infamous price increase.

They stopped shipping them due to some sort of problem, and now there is a very long back order. So I went ahead and bought the HPC anyway, which was delivered in about a week.

So now I have the slow charger, and the fast charger, but not the half-fast charger.:biggrin:

4. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

Did Tesla give you an estimate on the backlog for the 240 MC?

Has the problem been resolved and they are shipping now?

5. BBHighway

BBHighway Member

No, they said they were hoping to resolve the problem and resume shipments in about 8 weeks. (That was 2 weeks ago, so 6 to go now). Then they would start filling back orders and it would take some unknown amount of additional time before they got to mine.

I'm trying to arrange an electrician to wiring in the HPC properly. Temporarily I've wired the HPC to a 14-50 plug and plugged it in where the MC240 was supposed to go. I limited the car charging current to 24 Amps.

Just don't tell the NEC police!

6. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

The problem is a vendor not being prepared for the volume they needed and being back ordered on a part (I think the GFCI). It's a bit out of Tesla's hands unless they switch vendors, which probably wouldn't help at this point.

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Is it back in stock?

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I guess, in theory, this might be useful in some situations:
    Camco Power Grip Maximizer RV 50-amp Generator Adapter : JC Whitney: RV Parts & Accessories
    [​IMG]

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

10. Picasso

Picasso kllkkjlk

Can't be the same circuit/leg to make 220-240 from two 110-120's circuits. Finding two differnt 120plugs next to one another is rare.

11. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

No you would have to find another circuit that is on the opposite phase for it to work @ 240. I am sure that is why they showed the extention cord there even though in the picture outlets were close for demo sake.

12. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

I do this all the time; still have some 240v equipment from the UK where I came from... one thing to remember... If you leave a 240v appliance in the device then unplug one of the 110v plugs... the end is live at 110v! Makes for an interesting wake up!

13. Tdave

Tdave Member

Can you elaborate? What happens?

14. donauker

donauker Member

#14 donauker, May 28, 2009
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
    The one pin of the plug will be live due to the 120 volts feeding through the appliance from the other still connected plug.

Update:

This would be the case with the simple adapter plug but would not be the case with the Quick220 box shown above in VFX's post. This device has a built in safety disconnect if either plug is disconnected. The bigger issue is that this type of device will not work with GFI protected circuits which rules out using any current code compliant garage outlets.

15. beepayz

beepayz Member

Picked up my Roadster mid-May, was told the MC240 would arrive 4 weeks from May 28th. I didn't order the HPC because I thought I wouldn't need it....

16. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

Any word on a possible 'DIY' MC240, last I heard it's the car connector that's the tricky bit to source?

17. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Last I heard was that the official MC240s were back in production and so you shouldn't have to resort to a DIY.

Yes, by all accounts the Tesla end is the hard part for DIY. The only real option when MC240s are not available is to buy and modify an MC120, but it is still $600, and it is apparently a real PITA to mod them for higher current.

Note the "Coming July 2009" here:
    http://www.evcomponents.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RF40AMP

If MC240 is unavailable, too expensive or you want something more flexible then the Martin designed kit my be a good alternative. *But*, EVComponents still has to figure out how to build them, and the supply of Tesla ends could be a limiting factor. Also, that kit doesn't include GFCI which is a good thing if you don't like false triggers, but a bad thing if you think GFCI is a mandatory safety aid.

18. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

MC240 uses NEMA14-50...

Some EV related comments about NEMA14-50 here:
    [/FONT]

19. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Nice find TEG. The number list contains a ot of things that are obvious about the plugs design and added a few new things.

The strange thing is after all this time there is no common-practice "safe" high voltage connector for the General Public. I am aware there are thousands of standards and that the GP is around industrial high power connectors at trades shows, traveling carnivals, events, and movies shoots but they do not interact with them and the operators who do have an apprenticeship to learn how to correctly use them. Some even has certification and Union testing they have to pass.

For all those reasons listed in TEG's link and the difficulty creating new standards, I would not be surprised if the (11 year in the making) J1772 sort of just becomes the new general public high power standard connector used for RVs, Portable Solar Arrays, Generators, ATVs, Lawnmowers and Tractors and all the new things that were formerly gasoline powered but now need quick charging.

Avcon and Magnas are gone but maybe some of these large voltage, high current Nema standards will fall as well.

20. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

We will know that the tide has changed when RV parks switch over, and companies making portable generators start to include them. Public EV charge spots will be the "easy" part, but RV parks are slow to change.