Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies for the long post but I I wanted to share my recent experience with Tesla and the Dallas Service Center.

First I understand that there is and inherent risk buying a used car and that was my decision. I own that and much of my post is based out of pure frustration and disappointment.

But after reading countless forum articles and car reviews testifying the Model S reliability I was convinced that Tesla makes a solid and reliable product and that generally owners are well cared for, hence I shouldn’t be to concerned. After finally getting the service records It was clear that this was not a problematic car.

My experience has been quite the opposite and what I came find out is that if you don’t purchase a new or CPO vehicle from them and something goes wrong, they will make you pay for it. In every sense of the word.

One month after ownership my worst fear happened. After firmware update the MCU started giving me technical issues. Ultimately it failed leaving me with a $3,500 bill and an inoperable car. oh and they’re charging me $20 to tell the AC is working fine. The Service managers response,” most of the technical parts on the car like the MCU have a shelf life of 4-6 years so this is actually pretty typical.”

Are kidding me? A six figure car that has been marketed as a ultra reliable game changer precisely because of “less moving parts” has imminent failures by design. I would love to see a salesperson make that pitch to a potential buyer.

I have read and shared with the Service Center various accounts were the MCU had been replaced under good will and given that I have only one had the car one month the idea of spending nearly 3k in repairs is absolutely ludicrous.

On another note my DU needs to be replaced under warranty but incredibly it turns out that hubs needs to be greased. Grinding/milling, droning, clunk sounds and present but no need to replace the DU apparently. So Tesla is more than happy to charge a huge bill on a non warranty item but will not address a major fault under warranty. Let me guess, that issue ha a “longer shelf life”. Unbelievable.

Do I like the car. Absolutely. It’s safe, amazing to drive, gorgeous and a technical marvel.

Has Tesla lost my trust a customer and a brand advocate over petty nickel and dimming? Absolutely.

They had the opportunity out of “goodwill” to make this an exceptional experience but decided to make sure that if you don’t buy from them it’s going to hurt. You’ve made your point Tesla and after working in marketing for over 25 years I have learned that once you’ve lost a customer it’s very difficult to gain they’re business again.

• Disagree
Reactions: jboles and croman
Apologies for the long post but I I wanted to share my recent experience with Tesla and the Dallas Service Center.

First I understand that there is and inherent risk buying a used car and that was my decision. I own that and much of my post is based out of pure frustration and disappointment.

But after reading countless forum articles and car reviews testifying the Model S reliability I was convinced that Tesla makes a solid and reliable product and that generally owners are well cared for, hence I shouldn’t be to concerned. After finally getting the service records It was clear that this was not a problematic car.

My experience has been quite the opposite and what I came find out is that if you don’t purchase a new or CPO vehicle from them and something goes wrong, they will make you pay for it. In every sense of the word.

One month after ownership my worst fear happened. After firmware update the MCU started giving me technical issues. Ultimately it failed leaving me with a $3,500 bill and an inoperable car. oh and they’re charging me $20 to tell the AC is working fine. The Service managers response,” most of the technical parts on the car like the MCU have a shelf life of 4-6 years so this is actually pretty typical.”

Are kidding me? A six figure car that has been marketed as a ultra reliable game changer precisely because of “less moving parts” has imminent failures by design. I would love to see a salesperson make that pitch to a potential buyer.

I have read and shared with the Service Center various accounts were the MCU had been replaced under good will and given that I have only one had the car one month the idea of spending nearly 3k in repairs is absolutely ludicrous.

On another note my DU needs to be replaced under warranty but incredibly it turns out that hubs needs to be greased. Grinding/milling, droning, clunk sounds and present but no need to replace the DU apparently. So Tesla is more than happy to charge a huge bill on a non warranty item but will not address a major fault under warranty. Let me guess, that issue ha a “longer shelf life”. Unbelievable.

Do I like the car. Absolutely. It’s safe, amazing to drive, gorgeous and a technical marvel.

Has Tesla lost my trust a customer and a brand advocate over petty nickel and dimming? Absolutely.

They had the opportunity out of “goodwill” to make this an exceptional experience but decided to make sure that if you don’t buy from them it’s going to hurt. You’ve made your point Tesla and after working in marketing for over 25 years I have learned that once you’ve lost a customer it’s very difficult to gain they’re business again.

Sorry to hear that.

What year is your car?

When did you buy it?

How much?

What version of Model S?

How many miles?

Where did you buy it from?

Do you have an extended warranty?

I think the era of them goodwilling items is gone. People with cars under warranty are reporting Tesla now charges for diagnostic services, then waives the fees if they find a warrantable claim. That is 180 to how they used to operate.

But....inline with the standard practice from other manufacturers. I can see where “goodwill” just isn’t sustainable the more they scale.

The MCU memory chip is definitely a weak point in their design. Too bad they didn’t make it replaceable. If/when mine goes, I hope I can just upgrade to MCU2. (Or MCU3.)

Your frustration is warranted but not surprising. Tesla's mcu1 has an emmc flash chip that they beat to hell with unnecessary Linux system logging (completely unrelated to the car itself). It is just a matter of time before they all die (4-6 years).

Your frustration is warranted but not surprising. Tesla's mcu1 has an emmc flash chip that they beat to hell with unnecessary Linux system logging (completely unrelated to the car itself). It is just a matter of time before they all die (4-6 years).

They should fix the Linux logging via OTA update.

But....inline with the standard practice from other manufacturers. I can see where “goodwill” just isn’t sustainable the more they scale.

The MCU memory chip is definitely a weak point in their design. Too bad they didn’t make it replaceable. If/when mine goes, I hope I can just upgrade to MCU2. (Or MCU3.)

True. Although something like the MCU failures might eventually end up as a “hidden warranty” or a “customer support program” by another manufacturer and replaced for free due to the inherent design flaw. I had a Lexus engine rebuilt for free out of warranty due to one of those programs, and a LOT of Lexus owners were affected, so it would be equivalent in price/scope to what Tesla is looking at with MCUs

But those manufacturers have also realized the value of good customer service to their overall health as companies. Tesla hasn’t figured that out yet - if you spend some $$ on good customer service, people will continue to buy cars from you long term. It could be as simple as actually hiring folks to answer phones at service centers or empty the full voicemail boxes. (Only way I can get someone in person at my local service center is driving the 1.5 hours to walk into the counter - it’s terrible).

Right now they are riding on the lack of competition. As soon as the majors catch up (and they are nipping at Teslas heels now), Tesla will really struggle with customer service in its current state.

FyI: You don’t want an MCU2- those are the screen yellowing ones. You want to wait for rev 3.

Right now they are riding on the lack of competition. As soon as the majors catch up (and they are nipping at Teslas heels now), Tesla will really struggle with customer service in its current state.

Been hearing this for over a decade. The Bolt was supposed to be the Tesla killer.

The ipace.

The etron.

Falling flat, flat, flat.

Some have had bad customer service. Many others have had really good service. This will evolve over time.

Toyota is known for quality. Hopefully Tesla can get to that level and beyond. Toyota is certainly lagging in the exciting EV/PHEV/FCV area.

FyI: You don’t want an MCU2- those are the screen yellowing ones. You want to wait for rev 3.

The yellowing screens are a separate serviceable part and present in both MCU1 and 2 assemblies.

As for the OP, sorry for your bad luck, that’s a bummer. But it has nothing to do with not buying a car from Tesla and everything to do with buying a car that doesn’t have a warranty. I’m not sure why you think they owe you any special treatment over this. Insist on your old MCU back and sell it on eBay - that will recoup some of your out of pocket costs.

Been hearing this for over a decade. The Bolt was supposed to be the Tesla killer.

The ipace.

The etron.

Some have had bad customer service. Many others have had really good service. This will evolve over time.

Toyota is known for quality. Hopefully Tesla can get to that level and beyond. Toyota is certainly lagging in the exciting EV/PHEV/FCV area.

Yeah, but customer service in my area from Tesla is just getting worse. It was great a couple of years ago, but gets worse each visit. I have owned 3 Teslas, so I do love the cars, but we are seriously considering buying an Audi instead of another Tesla. It has been so bad my husband mentioned going back to a gas Audi the other day. His P85D can only stay out of the shop for a few months at a time before something else breaks, so we really feel the brunt of how much our customer service has degraded. He wouldn’t mind the poor reliability so much if service was as simple and easy as it used to be.

Reactions: davidc18
Yeah, but customer service in my area from Tesla is just getting worse. It was great a couple of years ago, but gets worse each visit. I have owned 3 Teslas, so I do love the cars, but we are seriously considering buying an Audi instead of another Tesla. It has been so bad my husband mentioned going back to a gas Audi the other day. His P85D can only stay out of the shop for a few months at a time before something else breaks, so we really feel the brunt of how much our customer service has degraded. He wouldn’t mind the poor reliability so much if service was as simple and easy as it used to be.

That really is too bad. How many miles do you have on your P85D?

What does how long you have had the car have to do with anything? Are you saying that they are supposed to offer a free "new Tesla owner" warranty to any private used car sale where the car is out of warranty? :eek::rolleyes:

Reactions: jboles

The ipace.

The etron.

Etron just came out, outselling Model X in some places in its first months. Most Tesla competition is not coming out till next year or two.