Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Yellow Border - Fixed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since when is a warranty required to provide a permanent fix for issues?

A warranty never provides a permanent fix, but the difference that I have experienced is that Tesla is shifting the responsibility of even attempting to fix the issue long term to the consumer and they are further refusing to attempt to fix the issue without cost to the consumer despite the fact that this a warranty issue.

I have filed for resolution with NCDS and hope to get a hearing date soon.

Reactions: FlatSix911
There seem to be a few threads on this around the forum, so I thought I'd just post here. I wanted to let the forum know that the yellow border on my MCU is gone.

Bonnie Norman on Twitter (before/after pics)

As I noted in the tweet, be patient. They have developed a tool /fixture that restores the screen - but not all centers have the tool yet (plus I guess some training is involved).

I was lucky enough to be at service on Monday for a wheel alignment while the tool was passing thru temporarily (I guess it’s making the rounds for training purposes.)

BE PATIENT. Just make sure your service center knows you have the issue and would like to be scheduled when they’re ready.

>> If you wonder why I trust Tesla when they say they’re working on a solution, it’s because my experience has always been that when they say that, they are. (Patience is a bitch though, isn’t it?)
You mean I should remain patient when my horn has not worked since day 1 from October 2018 after which mobile repair couldn’t repair it and said he get back to me in 2 weeks and when I have contacted service 4 times with them responding only twice to say someone would come fix it. You mean be patient when my car will fail inspection in 2 months without a horn and Tesla doesn’t seem to care?

We all love our cars but we are also customers. I agree that there is too much complaining but failing to uphold their end of the contract is not good.

• Funny
Reactions: ord3r
This is not good news if this is documented internally by Tesla Service... they are just kicking the can down the road. :cool:
Agreed. Kicking the can until your warranty runs out then offering to replace your entire MCU for $$$$ when it was a defect in their supply chain from the beginning. with each passing day my current Tesla looks like it will be the last my household buys and the last 2 referrals I helped with (but didn't get credit for and no one will answer me back at Tesla what's going one with either) will be the last referrals as well

You mean I should remain patient when my horn has not worked since day 1 from October 2018 after which mobile repair couldn’t repair it and said he get back to me in 2 weeks and when I have contacted service 4 times with them responding only twice to say someone would come fix it. You mean be patient when my car will fail inspection in 2 months without a horn and Tesla doesn’t seem to care?

We all love our cars but we are also customers. I agree that there is too much complaining but failing to uphold their end of the contract is not good.

If I were you, I would file for resolution through NCDS or your states lemon law.

Reactions: MX75D
A Tesla mobile tech told me a month or so ago that their internal wiki says this UV light fix is temporary. And that you will be allowed to request another application of the fix as long as your vehicle is under warranty.
I just had my X in for the half shaft replacements and mentioned the yellow screen as well. The service center mentioned in the notes that a uv application fix is coming soon that should fix it. Also if the yellow ring comes back will be treated again in the future free of charge - no mention of needing to be under warranty...

I thought I was pretty clear that I was talking about the yellow border. I also was pretty clear about WHY I was saying to be patient.

If you'd like some help getting your issue fixed, dm me. But maybe no attitude? Please.

I was told a fixing is coming about a year ago. if the issue is related to certain built, then fix to me is use a later date built component to replace it. Tesla needs to take ownership of this. QC stands for Quality Control, not Quality Compromise, which seems to be the case in Tesla.
You have a right to a timely fix for the issue under your warranty. I have no idea how consumer protections differ in regards to the new vehicle warranty in the UK, but in the US than means either demanding it be replaced/fixed under warranty and either escalating through Tesla or going to arbitration. I don't have any issue with Tesla's UV light fix, but they should switched from replace to repair when the tool was deployed and staff trained and not a day before. They also should never have even suggested this "cosmetic" issue was not a warranty issue. I suspect they'll lose every case that goes to arbitration over a yellow screen, because it's an absolutely absurd suggestion that such severe discoloration to the central interface to the car is unimportant. By suggesting customers pay for replacement and delaying repairs, forcing customers to go through arbitration, I fear they've opened themselves to another stupid class action lawsuit that's going to do nothing to help owners.

Note, that nowhere did I suggest that Tesla owes us a permanent fix. That's not how warranties work. If the UV treatment works and only lasts a few years, that's acceptable from the point of warranty coverage and owner's can choose to vote with their wallets if they don't like it. It's no different than all of the countless, known out of warranty failures I've experienced with BMW or other makes.

Tesla should have quietly kept replacing MCU displays, while refurbishing the defective displays centrally with their UV tech until they were ready to roll it out and put the refurbished displays back into the parts supply.

I love my Model X and Model 3, but sometimes Tesla's worst enemy is themselves.

You have a right to a timely fix for the issue under your warranty. I have no idea how consumer protections differ in regards to the new vehicle warranty in the UK, but in the US than means either demanding it be replaced/fixed under warranty and either escalating through Tesla or going to arbitration. I don't have any issue with Tesla's UV light fix, but they should switched from replace to repair when the tool was deployed and staff trained and not a day before. They also should never have even suggested this "cosmetic" issue was not a warranty issue. I suspect they'll lose every case that goes to arbitration over a yellow screen, because it's an absolutely absurd suggestion that such severe discoloration to the central interface to the car is unimportant. By suggesting customers pay for replacement and delaying repairs, forcing customers to go through arbitration, I fear they've opened themselves to another stupid class action lawsuit that's going to do nothing to help owners.

Note, that nowhere did I suggest that Tesla owes us a permanent fix. That's not how warranties work. If the UV treatment works and only lasts a few years, that's acceptable from the point of warranty coverage and owner's can choose to vote with their wallets if they don't like it. It's no different than all of the countless, known out of warranty failures I've experienced with BMW or other makes.

Tesla should have quietly kept replacing MCU displays, while refurbishing the defective displays centrally with their UV tech until they were ready to roll it out and put the refurbished displays back into the parts supply.

I love my Model X and Model 3, but sometimes Tesla's worst enemy is themselves.

Thanks, I have given them 24hrs to respond, or I will take the matter to trading standards first then to court. I too love my Model S and had no plan to look at any other manufacturers for foreseeable future. This type of behavior from Tesla SC really putting of buying again :(

This is an interesting point - the fix they offer under warranty is not required to be permanent.

Last edited:
This is an interesting point - the fix they offer under warranty is not required to be permanent.

I don't believe any car company, upon fixing any item, promises it to last/be fixed forever.

But at the very least the warranty fix should extend the warranty on THAT item to the same period that the non-warranty repair would have; usually a year for most parts.