Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Yellow Border - Fixed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it's just a coincidence, but my screen got the yellow band immediately after a mobile service in my driveway to replace the 12V battery a month or two ago. Not sure if it was something heat related or not due to the car sitting in driveway on a warm day with a bunch of internal parts gone to allow access to battery. When I pointed the yellowing out, Tesla sent out another mobile service technician to replace the screen a few weeks later. If there was a UV fix, the tech either didn't know about it or it somehow wasn't applicable in my case. Good to know there could be a less disruptive fix if it happens in the future.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but my screen got the yellow band immediately after a mobile service in my driveway to replace the 12V battery a month or two ago. Not sure if it was something heat related or not due to the car sitting in driveway on a warm day with a bunch of internal parts gone to allow access to battery. When I pointed the yellowing out, Tesla sent out another mobile service technician to replace the screen a few weeks later. If there was a UV fix, the tech either didn't know about it or it somehow wasn't applicable in my case. Good to know there could be a less disruptive fix if it happens in the future.

How long ago was this?

My service advisor -- who was being helpful to me after an ordeal! -- got fired this weekend.* Hope yours fares better, but I imagine you will be fine either way! I however now expect my car not to be fixed. Funny the different experiences people have with Tesla service!

It's not what you drive, it's who you know. * I assume his being fired and helping me were unrelated.

Sorry to hear this news... seems like Tesla has been getting rid of the really good customer service people recently.

Reactions: alcibiades
Handling it "so much better" would have entailed spending millions to replace customer screens at a time when cash was short. The replacement screens are also just yellowing after some time. Essentially money wasted.

If it was a safety issue, they would have been all over it, but it really is more of a cosmetic issue. Most people faced with paying for the replacement themselves would just live with it until a fix was developed.

Latest reports seem to be that Tesla has developed a quick and inexpensive fix that should be available shortly. Perhaps it was well handled after all.

Probably a coincidence, but fwiw, that's exactly when my first yellow borders occurred.

2017 Model S: Border appeared while at service center for 12V battery issue and replacement.

2017 Model X: 2 weeks later, border appeared while at service center for the same 12V battery issue and replacement.

(As to the 12V battery issue -- Tesla never really figured out why both cars had the same issue within 2 weeks of each other).

Handling it "so much better" would have entailed spending millions to replace customer screens at a time when cash was short. The replacement screens are also just yellowing after some time. Essentially money wasted.

If it was a safety issue, they would have been all over it, but it really is more of a cosmetic issue. Most people faced with paying for the replacement themselves would just live with it until a fix was developed.

Latest reports seem to be that Tesla has developed a quick and inexpensive fix that should be available shortly. Perhaps it was well handled after all.

Handling it better would have been using their new repair process to refurbish replaced screens and using those refurbished screens for replacements. The wait for the new fix isn’t as big an issue on their stance that this isn’t a warranty issue. Clearly arbitration disagrees.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Handling it better would have been using their new repair process to refurbish replaced screens and using those refurbished screens for replacements. The wait for the new fix isn’t as big an issue on their stance that this isn’t a warranty issue. Clearly arbitration disagrees.

In place treatment is way cheaper (and less risky to the interior) than a full swap.
Also, a previous arbitration decision stated that Tesla said it was a covered warranty issue.

Got a email this morning from Tesla lawyer asking me to please stop the arbitration because the fix is available. Very polite email but I’m not budging. It will go through with the arbitration.

If the fix is rolling out and Tesla has 30 days from the arbitration decision to fix it, what are you gaining?

• Funny
In place treatment is way cheaper (and less risky to the interior) than a full swap.
Also, a previous arbitration decision stated that Tesla said it was a covered warranty issue.

Then perhaps they should update their warranty language? Does it still say, “cosmetic anomaly” with no obligation to fix?

My timeframe is 6-10 months (when I need to either buy-out my lease, or upgrade to a new car). I would certainly expect this to be done by then. My bigger issue is watching how they deal with their issues. At some point I’m going to have to purchase outright. I need to have confidence that there will be a path forward to keep older cars in acceptable condition (as judged by me). Since there are limited aftermarket options to address this it’s up to Tesla to solve it. If I had a huge pot of money sitting around, I’d have no problem subsidizing them through their growing pains by either continuing to lease and trade up, or just buy and change out. I don’t.

I say all this to give you a window into one owner/buyer’s rationale for pressing this issue.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Then perhaps they should update their warranty language? Does it still say, “cosmetic anomaly” with no obligation to fix?
Personally, I think it is a (terrible) cosmetic issue, and the arbitrator seems to lean that way also.
It's hard to define what level of discoloration would be actionable and which would not...
I'm quoting from the arbitration report in this thread:
Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!
SmartSelect_20190706-081546_Firefox.jpg

Reactions: Skipdd
Personally, I think it is a (terrible) cosmetic issue, and the arbitrator seems to lean that way also.
It's hard to define what level of discoloration would be actionable and which would not...
I'm quoting from the arbitration report in this thread:
Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!
View attachment 427928

Interesting. But what happens when the car, which is in warranty, is no longer in warranty due to waiting for the fix? Will the arbitrator then make a decision? Seems odd they would say that - I thought the whole purpose of arbitration was to get a resolution to an issue when something is not 'right', in or out of warranty. Otherwise, car companies could drag their feet for up to 6 years (VW's now have B2B that lasts this long) and the car owner would have to 'live' with whatever is wrong for that time period...

For those that have had multiple screens replaced, would you please look back at your invoices and let all know which part numbers are being installed. Have the revision letters increased or stayed the same? Mine was just replaced for the bubbles, but I'm afraid the SC just put another screen in that will eventually bubble again or get the yellow border. My screen is : SX-MCU SUB-ASY, SHIP. OGS DSPLY(1084333-00-A)

Interesting. But what happens when the car, which is in warranty, is no longer in warranty due to waiting for the fix? Will the arbitrator then make a decision? Seems odd they would say that - I thought the whole purpose of arbitration was to get a resolution to an issue when something is not 'right', in or out of warranty. Otherwise, car companies could drag their feet for up to 6 years (VW's now have B2B that lasts this long) and the car owner would have to 'live' with whatever is wrong for that time period...

I'm guessing the issue was that, due to working on the UV fix, they were not replacing the screen (the classic fix). Thus bumping up against your 6 year with a problem scenario.