Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Yellow Border - Fixed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't believe any car company, upon fixing any item, promises it to last/be fixed forever.

But at the very least the warranty fix should extend the warranty on THAT item to the same period that the non-warranty repair would have; usually a year for most parts.

Yeah, I guess I just never really thought of it that way.

I hope this isn’t some slimy way just to get you past the warranty period.

Last edited:
I offered to help. But please, make me feel like a jerk for doing so. Maybe you could offer help instead of just being snarky?
Just bizarre to me that in order to get help, he can't just get it from Tesla and, has to beg it from a social media influencer who may help him if he drops his "attitude". Maybe my detector is broken, but I didn't see any attitude in his original post, just statement of facts providing an example that patience does not always pay off with Tesla service. The offer to help and move things along kinda reiterates his point that you can't always just be patient if you want to get things fixed.

I'm sorry if my post made you felt like a jerk, I honestly just had that WTF expression when I read it, and the attitude part read to me like the offer for help wasn't really genuine. I don't have anything I can do to help, but then again I don't work in Tesla service.

Just bizarre to me that in order to get help, he can't just get it from Tesla and, has to beg it from a social media influencer who may help him if he drops his "attitude". Maybe my detector is broken, but I didn't see any attitude in his original post, just statement of facts providing an example that patience does not always pay off with Tesla service. The offer to help and move things along kinda reiterates his point that you can't always just be patient if you want to get things fixed.

I'm sorry if my post made you felt like a jerk, I honestly just had that WTF expression when I read it, and the attitude part read to me like the offer for help wasn't really genuine. I don't have anything I can do to help, but then again I don't work in Tesla service.

No one was begging for help from anyone. I've never offered to help when it wasn't sincere. I don't work in Tesla Service. I don't work for Tesla. And sure, I've gained influence over the years because (as many can tell you), I've done what I can to help people. And I've been able to help because over those years I've built solid relationships with people. No one waived a magic wand, I earned the influence I may have.

I started this thread to let people know about the UV fix. I clearly said to be patient regarding getting scheduled in for the UV fix. Instead, in his frustration over other things, he went at me for saying be patient. I'm still willing to help. I'm not willing to have someone vent at me for things that have nothing to do with me.

Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 10.31.27 PM.png

Yeah, I guess I just never really thought of it that way.

I hope this isn’t some slimy way just to get you past the warranty period.

Me too. It should be a good faith effort to correct what is a cosmetic defect but a defect just the same. I have had only one instance where my comment above rang true - a part that failed right before my B2B expired did fail later and since it was less than a year, they replaced it 'under warranty' even though the rest of the car's warranty had expired. This is what I would expect Tesla to do too. But I think each mfg sets their own policy.

I’m normally not a conspiracy theorist. However the timing of this thread with its message of “be patient”, from someone with close ties to Tesla, and the lack of a service invoice - right around the time when threads are popping up all over the place showing how many owners have been successful in arbitration cases that require Tesla to fix the yellow screen within 30 days. The purpose of this thread just seems like an extension of the delay/stall tactic that Tesla has been using on this particular issue for nearly a year already.

I’m normally not a conspiracy theorist. However the timing of this thread with its message of “be patient”, from someone with close ties to Tesla, and the lack of a service invoice - right around the time when threads are popping up all over the place showing how many owners have been successful in arbitration cases that require Tesla to fix the yellow screen within 30 days. The purpose of this thread just seems like an extension of the delay/stall tactic that Tesla has been using on this particular issue for nearly a year already.
Almost every Tesla issue seems to go through three phases: 1) Some complaints, 2) Doom and gloom about Tesla not acting, 3) Tesla fixes the issue and the complaints stop.

I think sticking points for me is this is the only user so far to post that this fix exists and works. That I have seen anyway. The user got lucky that they were doing a tire rotation at the same time their specific shop was doing training on this tool. Yet my local service center doesn't even have a date in which training will be available let alone completed and start being used on customer cars. Finally when asked about posting a service invoice so we could see how they are coding it (I'm particularly interested if they listed it as goodwill or warranty) the user said they didn't have it and wouldn't get it until after the weekend? I have been in service more times than I would like on a brand new just barely a year old car and every single time I had the invoice in my email box before I was even handed the keys back.

This is the truth... Tesla is using FUD... Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt to their maximum advantage to delay any permanent fix. :cool:

I know Bonnie. This isn’t a conspiracy. She’s just trying to help.

LOL. Or you could have just talked to me instead of casting aspersions. Or you could have asked the older members of the forum about my integrity.

I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist, but it occurred to me when I read your post that you could be one of the shorts who like to cast doubt on anything positive when it relates to Tesla. :p

LOL. Or you could have just talked to me instead of casting aspersions. Or you could have asked the older members of the forum about my integrity.

I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist, but it occurred to me when I read your post that you could be one of the shorts who like to cast doubt on anything positive when it relates to Tesla. :p

Bonnie has personally helped more people on this forum than I think I have posts. Often complete strangers. Altruistic problem solver would be my description. Always glad to have her around these parts.

I've just recently purchased my Model X. Its 2018 but was purchased new from inventory. It has this issue. At first I though it was a shadow when my friend pointed it out to me. Later I realized it was a defect. I contacted them to make a service appointment as the app and web page was giving me an error. The support person on chat took over an to schedule me and tried to just dismiss my concerns. That's when I got suspicious and started googling and found all this information. It seems its been a problem for well over 2 years. I'm taking my car in next week and I've threatened litigation. There is no way I'm buying a new screen for a car I just bought brand new. It should come with new everything. It had 73 miles on it.

I'm glad to hear that Bonnie got her problem resolved. Do we know how this machine works? My concern is that they are masking an issue with it. If the UV is just bleaching the adhesive that has gone bad, that means there is still a chance that dust and moisture can enter the display and damage it. I live in a very humid climate. Bleaching the yellow away will make it look better but ultimately I worry that its masking the problem. If anyone has any information on how this process works and any additional assurances that the display is not compromised beyond the color, I may back my lawyer off long enough to give this fix a chance.

I really do enjoy this vehicle but its laughable for Tesla to even suggest that I pay to correct a defect that the vehicle had at the time of purchase when I bought it brand new.

Reactions: FlatSix911
My concern is that they are masking an issue with it. If the UV is just bleaching the adhesive that has gone bad, that means there is still a chance that dust and moisture can enter the display and damage it.

'Bleaching' does not remove material. The issue is likely the glue bonding the display to the glass. The treatment reverses the yellowing, but the glue is still there. If it were missing, you would have readily apparent optical effects.

Many epoxys (even dental fillings) are UV cured. Nothing to worry about.

And your invoice said what?

I am not a “shorter” in fact just had my 4th new Tesla delivered and love them. I am curious though what your invoice said!?!

And your invoice said what?

I am not a “shorter” in fact just had my 4th new Tesla delivered and love them. I am curious though what your invoice said!?!
I don't have a copy yet - and will be happy to post when I do. My service advisor is out for the holiday week - I emailed him after I saw the request here, though it's not high on my priority list. :)

I'm going to assume it has two items - the $150 charge for the realignment and then the UV screen fix as a no cost item.

Obviously I was joking about shorting - I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I save my tinfoil for other things.

I don't have a copy yet - and will be happy to post when I do. My service advisor is out for the holiday week - I emailed him after I saw the request here, though it's not high on my priority list. :)

I'm going to assume it has two items - the $150 charge for the realignment and then the UV screen fix as a no cost item.

Obviously I was joking about shorting - I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I save my tinfoil for other things.
My service advisor -- who was being helpful to me after an ordeal! -- got fired this weekend.* Hope yours fares better, but I imagine you will be fine either way! I however now expect my car not to be fixed. Funny the different experiences people have with Tesla service!

It's not what you drive, it's who you know.

* I assume his being fired and helping me were unrelated.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Bonnie has personally helped more people on this forum than I think I have posts. Often complete strangers. Altruistic problem solver would be my description. Always glad to have her around these parts.

I will attest to this. Bonnie is pure gold and we're lucky she still participates on the forum. Source of a wealth of info as well.

• Love
Reactions: bonnie and jerry33