Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 recently upgraded, and 2023.44.30.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cmwagner75DX

2016 Model X 75D, 6-seat, FSD, SCU1
Dec 25, 2023
Northern Virginia
What’s the deal? I just had the infotainment upgraded, and the dealer pushed the SW update immediately, I can’t put the car in auto steer or self drive - when I do I get the red steering wheel and it states “temporarily unavailable”.

Do I need to drive a certain amount of miles for the cameras to calibrate? Is it because I don’t have a cabin camera? I believe I read I don’t need a safety score rating so I ruled that out.. what am I missing?

Sounds like you got camera replacements as part of infotainment upgrade where presumably the Full Self-Driving Computer (HW3) was previously upgraded but Tesla hasn't been updating the software for those with MCU1 on 2022.8.10.x. The cameras do need to be calibrated from normal driving, and you should be able to see the calibration progress both in the instrument cluster and Autopilot settings screen.

There are plenty of vehicles using FSD Beta without a cabin camera, so that's not a requirement. Hopefully you'll be able to try out the latest FSD Beta on your 2016 X after ~25 miles of calibration.

The camera/system calibration can take two phases: the first, up to 90-95%, happens in a few miles of driving on well-marked roads like freeways. The second phase to 100%, can take up to 100 miles of driving but usually less than that.

Yeah, I think you should have seen a calibration notification on the driver display right after the upgrade, but the message may not be persistent (?). You should have been told about the calibration process when you picked up the vehicle. The Autosteer icon (looks like a steering wheel) on the driver display should have a ring around it that progressively closes as the calibration process proceeds. You could poke around on YouTube for videos describing the calibration process.

Reactions: cmwagner75DX
drive around for a day or two, in the meantime, put in a service ticket right now. Tesla is notorious for screwing up the camera upgrade and it sounds like you have a hardware issue.
those cameras were installed in February 2023, they should be under warranty from Tesla?

I can’t seem to do any voice commands either, it says unable to connect when I try to talk to text or hit the voice command button

With MCU1 - Beta was never working actually (auto steer city streets) but I was able to navigate on AP on the hwy.

With MCU2 - AP, FSDb, HWY, nothing is working. When I hit pull the AP stalk towards me I just get the red steering wheel associated with the temporary unavailable msg. I just captured these images in service mode, see attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0454.jpeg
    IMG_0454.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0455.jpeg
    IMG_0455.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0456.jpeg
    IMG_0456.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0457.jpeg
    IMG_0457.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 37
With MCU1 - Beta was never working actually (auto steer city streets) but I was able to navigate on AP on the hwy.

With MCU2 - AP, FSDb, HWY, nothing is working. When I hit pull the AP stalk towards me I just get the red steering wheel associated with the temporary unavailable msg. I just captured these images in service mode, see attached.
I will add, I was in the beta queue before the infotainment upgrade. Post upgrade and before picking up I logged in the app and saw the SW update downloading at the SC.

I hit recalibrate cameras tonight so I’ll drive and see if I get some sort of progress report. Think I’ll open a ticket and ask if reinstalling the software is advisable

Last edited by a moderator:
I will add, I was in the beta queue before the infotainment upgrade. Post upgrade and before picking up I logged in the app and saw the SW update downloading at the SC.

I hit recalibrate cameras tonight so I’ll drive and see if I get some sort of progress report. Think I’ll open a ticket and ask if reinstalling the software is advisable
Again, look for a progress ring around the Autosteer icon on your driver display while you're driving. Is there an imcomplete ring around it? Then you're not done with camera calibration. If that's the case, go for a 60-90 minute drive on a freeway, and the calibration should complete and FSD will be available. I think you can see a calibration progress percentage at the top of the Autopilot menu as well, but I'm not sure.

Also, I saw your earlier comment about not being able to make voice commands. Assuming you're pressing the correct button on the steering wheel & getting no response, you should put in a service center work order to have that checked. My MX has always had voice command problems while driving on the freeway, apparently due to excessive noise getting into the microphone. It works much better when the vehicle is at rest. I've complained many times about it and never had it improved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, look for a progress ring around the Autosteer icon on your driver display while you're driving. Is there an imcomplete ring around it? Then you're not done with camera calibration. If that's the case, go for a 60-90 minute drive on a freeway, and the calibration should complete and FSD will be available. I think you can see a calibration progress percentage at the top of the Autopilot menu as well, but I'm not sure.

Also, I saw your earlier comment about not being able to make voice commands. Assuming you're pressing the correct button on the steering wheel & getting no response, you should put in a service center work order to have that checked. My MX has always had voice command problems while driving on the freeway, apparently due to excessive noise getting into the microphone. It works much better when the vehicle is at rest. I've complained many times about it and never had it improved.
IMG_0458.jpeg

I would:

Reinstall FW, soft reset the car.

Reset DAS, Soft reset the car.

Unplug the battery and let it sit for 5 minutes. Power it back up.

Make sure you drive fast enough. Go drive on a well marked multi lane highway for 20 minutes.

Last edited: