Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - TuneIn Radio - is it really that slow and buggy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently did the MCU2 upgrade (super awesome - except losing FM Radio). I have started to play around with built in TuneIn app and it seems quite bad to be honest. Anytime i click a station it starts to play for about a fraction of a second and then it "spins" for atleast 5-10 seconds before the station starts playing. All other apps work lightening fast - Spotify, Slacker etc.

Anybody else notice this? Am i doing something wrong? Latest firmware 2020.48.12.1.

Thanks!

Has been happening on mine for months and the last several firmwares. I am currently at the same as yours. I have always wondered why it plays for a second, pauses, and then continues, always the same song as that 1 second play. Sometimes it never comes out of the spinning until I select another station, then go back to the one I want. Occasionally it won't play the one I want until I reboot the MCU2. I had similar issues before the MCU2 upgrade, just a lot worse.

Reactions: Simon_Emes
It is really a function of the quality and speed of the connection to the Internet. As you probably know using your cellphone, it can get pretty sketchy. Tunein uses real-time streaming technology, which takes time to fill up buffers, which are dynamic. Spotify and Slacker download full or large portions of files, then start playing, so they appear to work better.

Last edited:
TuneIn is no good for me. I have the same experience as what someone stated previously, terrible on MCU1, a little better on MCU2. Overall it's frustating to use so I have avoided it. I find it easier to search music/news/podcasts using the tesla "streaming" button.

I recently did the MCU2 upgrade (super awesome - except losing FM Radio). I have started to play around with built in TuneIn app and it seems quite bad to be honest. Anytime i click a station it starts to play for about a fraction of a second and then it "spins" for atleast 5-10 seconds before the station starts playing. All other apps work lightening fast - Spotify, Slacker etc.

Anybody else notice this? Am i doing something wrong? Latest firmware 2020.48.12.1.

Thanks!
Always. It sucks. Love the car. Tunein is the worst!

TuneIn is a real time streaming service. When switching between streams, it takes a few seconds for the buffers to fill up and audio begins. If we had better performance from the network, it would improve. I’ve found it to be highly reliable, even if the streams are slow to start.

Reactions: fmm
Tunein and netflix are so buggy it’s unreal. Crashes and random behavior all around. Overall i’m pretty badly disappointed by the teslas software quality. They never got the mcu1 to work right. Mcu2 is getting abandoned as we speak.

Hw2.5 is is abandonware and people with the mcu2.5 cars will not get even working autowipers or high beams (tesla doesn’t sell the hw3 upgrade outside of the us). Let alone the EAP as it was described during the purchase.

The Speed limit recognition is a big joke, this thing remembers the reading for 30 seconds before resorting to the broken map data making the autopilot entirely useless. My Xs modem is dead every morning and will not connect to the network until 3-6mins after the start of the drive, which means i have to start the navigation via the phone every time when needed. Etc.

Tunein and netflix are so buggy it’s unreal. Crashes and random behavior all around. Overall i’m pretty badly disappointed by the teslas software quality. They never got the mcu1 to work right. Mcu2 is getting abandoned as we speak.

Hw2.5 is is abandonware and people with the mcu2.5 cars will not get even working autowipers or high beams (tesla doesn’t sell the hw3 upgrade outside of the us). Let alone the EAP as it was described during the purchase.

The Speed limit recognition is a big joke, this thing remembers the reading for 30 seconds before resorting to the broken map data making the autopilot entirely useless. My Xs modem is dead every morning and will not connect to the network until 3-6mins after the start of the drive, which means i have to start the navigation via the phone every time when needed. Etc.
What are you doing ?? I changed my MCU1 to MCU2 and updated my 2.5AP to HW3 with no problem I live in Switzerland in Europe and it's possible to go to HW3 with no problem with an AP2.5 all my friends updated her cars
2. If you don't update to HW3 you don't have speed limit recognition or stop sign or trafic lights signal (only GPS) what MCU do you have with MCU2 you have 4G and the signal is much much better I had 4/5 bar of signal 80% of time.

What are you doing ?? I changed my MCU1 to MCU2 and updated my 2.5AP to HW3 with no problem I live in Switzerland in Europe and it's possible to go to HW3 with no problem with an AP2.5 all my friends updated her cars
2. If you don't update to HW3 you don't have speed limit recognition or stop sign or trafic lights signal (only GPS) what MCU do you have with MCU2 you have 4G and the signal is much much better I had 4/5 bar of signal 80% of time.

Let me repeat. MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade is possible, but the MCU2 sw is also becoming abandonware like the MCU1. Critical bugs go years without being addressed.

HW2.5 upgrade to HW3 in the EU is only possible if you paid for the FSD. Otherwise you are stuck with the abandoned hw2.5: no working wipers, high beams, ..

Hw3 features like the speed limit recognition are half-assed demos and not features. While it reads the limit, it reverts back to the map data in about 30 seconds. If the map data is wrong, you get a broken autopilot. Etc.