Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Me thinks the Feds are about to start putting Elon in check a bit..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uh, over 2000+ have been driving aorund on FULL FSD for a few years now. Get your facts straight.

I would if you had any- that simply is not true.

Reasons you are wrong:

FSDBeta is an L2 system explicitly. It is NOT "FULL FSD" by Teslas own, explicit, admissions in the CA DMV emails.

FSDBeta has only been in public use for about one year, not 'a few'

Nearly all the 2000 users prior to a couple weeks ago were Tesla employees- not the general public.

A game try, but no... that was a poll, not a petition- and then they didn't even name the thing the poll was about that anyway, though it was used elsewhere.

Tesla fanboys will at least like this one:

Saying she is unqualified is ridiculous BTW. Saying things that makes you upset != unqualified.
I don’t know much about her but a quick read on Wiki she seems academically qualified but lacks any actual real world experience.
But she is still more qualified for this position than most political appointees
What I don;t like is this from Wiki:
”She owns shares of Tesla competitor named Veoneer. [22]

That’s a conflict of interest.
She should never have been appointed to oversee this investigation.

As an Arbitrator I can tell you if I was assigned to arbitrate a case and I had investments in a competitor I would be removed from the case

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ and nwdiver
I don’t know much about her but a quick read on Wiki she seems academically qualified but lacks any actual real world experience.
But she is still more qualified for this position than most political appointees
What I don;t like is this from Wiki:
”She owns shares of Tesla competitor named Veoneer. [22]

That’s a conflict of interest.
She should never have been appointed to oversee this investigation.

As an Arbitrator I can tell you if I was assigned to arbitrate a case and I had investments in a competitor I would be removed from the case
She's not the only influential person to hold potentially conflicting investments.

Would it be better if she bought some TSLA shares too?

Shall we take bets or conduct a poll? I think it will reduce accidents

We've already seen videos of it driving over curbs, damaging wheels, turn into oncoming lanes, and (if humans had not taken over) run into solid objects.

So sure, a bet sounds awesome if we're talking wide rollout of the current system (which was literally what the post you quote was discussing).

The fact Tesla is NOT rolling it out wide suggests they have a better understanding than you do that what I say is correct of course. if it'd ACTUALLY reduce accidents overall they'd have already released it wide.

Anyone concerned about Missy Cummings appointment, pls sign this.

Review Appointment of Missy Cummings to NHTSA for Conflict of Interest & Bias​

In other news Mayor Pete is defending the appointment.

Sandy Munro is a guy in the know. Understands cars, politics of OEMs, truly appreciates innovation and who thought he would end up being a champion for Tesla innovation like he’s been. Tesla had to really prove it by him.

Here’s his latest video message (just posted this hour) about this Missy appointment and what appears to be happening to American leadership and innovation .

Reactions: AquaY
Shall we take bets or conduct a poll? I think it will reduce accidents and above suggests accidents will increase. Later when fool SD is more competent complacency will set in, then there maybe more accidents, but I'm talking about current situation.
How would you judge an increase in accidents vs an accident that may have happened anyway, or an accident that was prevented? They'll be accidents for drivers using FSD Beta, but there would be accidents for Tesla drivers regardless.

Are we including curb strikes and non-contact induced incidents? I would say yes, or just smashing into other cars?

Where's this running tally gonna be found? We've seen incidents already, but no compiled list AFAIK.

I get your point about complacency, and yes that's a risk.

If AP & FSD are as safe as advertised, why are people upset about a nomination to an advisory role?

Because we have to be unsafe for an unspecified amount of time before we can be safe.

Or we can simply sit around and wait for safe while people die.

If I was the NHTSA I would quickly revamp the rules on liability for L2, but they won't do that. They'll just curb L2 like the Europeans do, but the Europeans don't have as much at stake as we do because American drivers are significantly worse.

Sandy Munro is a guy in the know. Understands cars, politics of OEMs, truly appreciates innovation and who thought he would end up being a champion for Tesla innovation like he’s been. Tesla had to really prove it by him.

Here’s his latest video message (just posted this hour) about this Missy appointment and what appears to be happening to American leadership and innovation .

Well that's some foaming at the mouth FUD. Ok he's angry about China, hypersonic missiles, chips, 3 year old tweets, the USA falling behind, the end of everything.

I watched it but he's overstating the problem from the beginning. "There's a new Sheriff in town, and she...". She, is a Senior Advisor. If anything she's a cohort, not even a deputy.

She, hasn't even done anything yet. She, likes Tesla. She, doesn't like certain aspects of technology - including Tesla's - that no doubt she'll advise the NHTSA about. I hope this isn't because she, is a woman or has the rather girly name Missy, no that's not it. Still, get a grip Sandy, wow.

Last edited:
How would you judge an increase in accidents vs an accident that may have happened anyway, or an accident that was prevented? They'll be accidents for drivers using FSD Beta, but there would be accidents for Tesla drivers regardless.

Are we including curb strikes and non-contact induced incidents? I would say yes, or just smashing into other cars?

Where's this running tally gonna be found? We've seen incidents already, but no compiled list AFAIK.

I get your point about complacency, and yes that's a risk.

The NHTSA is collecting a LOT of data.

They're collecting data on all the accidents that occurred with L2 (or above) enabled.
They're colleting data on everyone that gets FSD beta

Curb strikes won't be included in any data the NHTSA, but I'm sure there will be an entertaining YouTube video of FSD Curb strikes. Maybe like an hour long video featuring beautiful FSD curb strikes.

The data will simply help decisions the NHTSA need to make regarding L2 technology. I don't think its lost on anyone that L2 technology is getting very advanced, and its really removing the driver from driving. It doesn't really matter if its FSD, SuperCruise, Ultracruise, etc. All this stuff falls under the umbrella of L2, and has a lot of the same safety concerns.

What I would be looking for is a sudden rise in accidents from people who don't have a history of accidents in their past. Like I've been driving for over 30 years with no recordable accident (that meet the threshold) so it would be unusual if I suddenly ran into a pole right after getting the FSD Beta.

It's also not just the NHTSA, but insurance companies that will be taking a close look at this.

I think this is a big part of why Tesla insurance exist. If we suddenly start seeing a rise in accidents with Tesla then the cost to insure goes up, and Tesla insurance starts to become an attractive alternative especially if insurance companies start asking a lot of questions regarding FSD when submitting a claim.

If FSD beta 10.3/11 proves to have any usefulness at all I'm going to swap my rims/tires from 20" to 18" to give a bit more give to potential FSD screwups that I might not catch in time (for curb rashes).

The NHTSA is collecting a LOT of data.

They're collecting data on all the accidents that occurred with L2 (or above) enabled.
They're collecting data on everyone that gets FSD beta

Curb strikes won't be included in any data the NHTSA, but I'm sure there will be an entertaining YouTube video of FSD Curb strikes. Maybe like an hour long video featuring beautiful FSD curb strikes.
Tesla has been asked to turn over relevant crash data by Oct 22, 2021 (this Friday...midnight). They should also already be sending crash data as it happens to the NHTSA.

Are they?

Last edited:
Well that's some foaming at the mouth FUD. Ok he's angry about China, hypersonic missiles, chips, 3 year old tweets, the USA falling behind, the end of everything.

I watched it but he's overstating the problem from the beginning. "There's a new Sheriff in town, and she...". She, is a Senior Advisor. If anything she's a cohort, not even a deputy.

She, hasn't even done anything yet. She, likes Tesla. She, doesn't like certain aspects of technology - including Tesla's - that no doubt she'll advise the NHTSA about. I hope this isn't because she, is a woman or has the rather girly name Missy, no that's not it. Still, get a grip Sandy, wow.

Sandy for years has observed how OEMs’ tactics and approaches have stiffled innovation and focused more on each development group within a company working more separately than as a whole. The result was not a better product overall because of it or one that saved the company money. What he has seen in China in development and mfgr’ing production compared to what he sees in OEMs here concerns him greatly as an American. I remember very well how Japanese OEMs captured the huge American car market. My dad was a unioned OEM worker back then and worked for decades at a plant. Lots of sales lost to overseas mfgrs (and they still command a good share of the US market). My dad said long ago they could be making cars with way better gas mileage but refused to.

Unfortunately politicians and lobbying pressure from OEMs and other sources is taking aim at stopping/slowing down Tesla’s efforts. Hard not to observe that in many forms. People hired in influential legislative or regulatory positions should be well qualified in the field and more than anything be unbiased and open to innovation. Based on this lady’s public posts and comments when it comes to Tesla she’s very biased against the company, products and even Elon. The fact she takes $400K a year from a Lidar company being on their Board and speaking out about Tesla’s lack of lidar says volumes. BTW female here so not biased about women in these jobs and I don’t think that has anything to do with the positions she has taken. I can understand why OEMs, behind the curve and relying on Lidar for their future EVs they have tried hard not to have to make, want her in this position. Does not smack of fairness and I get Sandy’s viewpoint. With our President coming from a union family and speaking on the things he has, I’m also doubtful he’ll be fair and unbiased. Like to think better of him on this but haven’t seen that exhibited so far.

And then of course we have those that could essentially care little about a company, its products, employees or customers and more about manipulating its SP to make money for themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobbyRitz