Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Media Announcement 2013/04/26

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hang on: tire rotation at 6 month/6000 mile intervals is included in the service plans.

And, if you live where it is cold in the winter, and away from a service center (for example, we in Utah who are 500 miles from a service center), they will replace the 6mo/6k miles tire rotation with swapping your winter and summer wheels 2x a year. If you get service with unlimited ranger service, this covers the swap and the ranger fee. So, you get the annual service, and swapping tires 2x a year, plus the ranger at your house 2x a year, plus any other time the ranger needs to come, all covered under the plan. Makes the 4 year or 4+4 year service with unlimited ranger visits quite a cost savings package.

Here's the problem with the "4 service coupon" idea: Let's say someone decides to bring in their MS at years 3,6,9,&12. At year 12, he has 115,000 miles on his car. Tesla really does not know how much it will cost to service such a car. Maybe it will be no more than usual, maybe it will be WAY more than usual, and thus a losing proposition. That's why TM doesn't offer a 4+4+4 plan: they just don't know. ...
Well the same person could just do it on a pay as you go basis and pay the $600 or whatever it is for service on year 12. Same difference, except that Tesla would have had his $475 for 12 years in the service coupon case.

Well the same person could just do it on a pay as you go basis and pay the $600 or whatever it is for service on year 12. Same difference, except that Tesla would have had his $475 for 12 years in the service coupon case.

Yeah, service generally means a set number of things they do. If they find problems, that's covered under warranty while you still have it, and after the warranty is finished you pay for any extra work they need to do.

I just spoke with John at Ownership and clarified that the 4 year prepaid no longer has mileage constraints.

Thanks for the update. I assume that means that you can bring your car in for its annual service once a year for four years regardless of mileage (as opposed to you have four services over the 4 years and you decide when even if that meant not bringing the car in for 2 years).

I just spoke with John at Ownership and clarified that the 4 year prepaid no longer has mileage constraints.

That's great news, but does that mean the 4+4 plan does? Was it not talked about? I've got 1 more day to make a decision since I'm not sure when the clock runs out. I'm thinking it's 11:59:59 PST 4/30

This is exactly what I wanted: Annual service, regardless of miles (km) travelled. Makes sense and really lowers the cost for people driving a lot. Personally I drive about 40k miles per year, about half of that with the roadster.

Now service is really affordable and worth the price. Now the advantage of low maintenance on electric cars is reflected in cost - finally.

Very happy

I'll be really curious what "hardware upgrades" come with the service cost. $600 is dirt cheap for even the smallest upgrade, like the new door handles or vent/defogging upgrade. I fully expect an at-cost option on those, otherwise the service centers will lose money like a sieve.