Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Media Announcement 2013/04/26

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The really big question was posed already: Do you get all the ongoing firmware/software updates if you do not buy a prepaid service plan? What if you only take your car in for a periodic service check--do you get all updates that you may have missed at that point if they have not been automatic for you?

Those updates are unquestionably more valuable than $475 per year, at least at this stage. If anyone gets a definitive answer from Tesla on this please post asap. Thx.

I feel like a kid that opens a big, brilliantly-wrapped birthday present, that's been sitting on a table, and talked about for weeks,
only to find that it contains a pair of socks.

Yes, this is all good news. Good approach, to take more responsibility and build confidence in the brand. And the service offering. Kudos. That's nice. Thanks.

But... not a word on superchargers?

The really big question was posed already: Do you get all the ongoing firmware/software updates if you do not buy a prepaid service plan? What if you only take your car in for a periodic service check--do you get all updates that you may have missed at that point if they have not been automatic for you?

Those updates are unquestionably more valuable than $475 per year, at least at this stage. If anyone gets a definitive answer from Tesla on this please post asap. Thx.

Actually, I agree that those updates are extremely valuable. But if I was Tesla I would say no, except for technical fixes. Doing an update exposes them to additional liability (costs to fix updates gone wrong, bugs, etc), and also is providing additional value to the customers through new features. I see no reason for Tesla to just be basically giving away updates unless it is to fix a core technical issue like vampire loading.

They need to bifurcate the updates into version updates (which are not free) and service packs which are. Holders of a service plan would then be entitled to future software upgrades in addition to physical service and technical support that is only available on a fee for service basis otherwise.

Also, I think folks need to pay attention to whether the service plan is still the gateway to an extended warranty. Right now BMW will let you purchase an extended warranty that gets tacked on to the manufacturer's warranty. Other companies require that you purchase a supplemental warranty for the first four years to be eligible for the extended warranty. Up until today Tesla was unambiguously in the second camp. If it still is, then a service plan is still valuable by allowing you to extend your warranty, as well as offering yearly checkups and potentially reduced ranger fees.

I feel like a kid that opens a big, brilliantly-wrapped birthday present, that's been sitting on a table, and talked about for weeks,

Yes, this is all good news. Good approach, to take more responsibility and build confidence in the brand. And the service offering. Kudos. That's nice. Thanks.

Suoerchargers are number 4. 2 weeks time will be May 12th and that'll give you road-tripping Tesla owners time to plan your Memorial Day Supercharger trips.

The warranty issue was (and remained) massively controversial since Tesla announced it last year. It caused large numbers of users in this forum to announce cancellations of their reservations, and made everyone unhappy. Today's announcement just wiped away that controversy, and also gifted owners and future customers with an amazingly strong warranty for the battery. That is a pretty big deal.

As to SuperChargers, Tesla announced yesterday that this announcement would be entirely service related, so anyone expecting that today had an unreasonable expectation. There is still a SuperCharger announcement pending, based on the timeline we have for this 5 part announcement.

Now, if Tesla would just go ahead and remove the $500 per month references on their webpage, while keeping their TCO calculator and finding a more effective way to focus customers on the TCO benefits, they would be in a great position to put the halo back on their head.

The really big question was posed already: Do you get all the ongoing firmware/software updates if you do not buy a prepaid service plan?

I called Tesla this afternoon, and they confirmed that we would continue getting firmware updates regardless of our service plans or absence of them.

Now, we all know that reps have said conflicting things from time to time, but this was encouraging.

It was also stated that purchasing of the extended warranty was not contingent upon the service plans.

Lastly, if we have purchased a plan already, we could still bring it in yearly, even if we have exceeded 12500 miles.

I would like to see it all in writing though.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Lastly, if we have purchased a plan already, we could still bring it in yearly, even if we have exceeded 12500 miles.

I would like to see it all in writing though.

Sent via Tapatalk.

If true, I'm totally buying the 8 visits and bringing it in every year for 8 years. As well as the extended warranty when available in WA.

Q: Will it be in writing when my time expires in 3 days?
A: Very doubtful.
Q: Do I trust that this will be the case?
A: I'd like to hear it from Elon/GB. This I believe is the main selling point of the pre-pay service plan and what TM has in mind for how users should see/read/interpret them.

Disco-

Some have already purchased and then cancelled. Don't know if that would apply to you if you purchased now after the announcement.

I got the impression that they want to equalize the service for all Tesla owners according to their needs - reason for it not being mandatory.

I like the idea of purchasing coupons for visits.

Sent via Tapatalk.

As I understand it, the 4 year service contract will cover all service that is needed for 4 years. A visit for a 'check-up' retails for $600 and is recommended at 12500 miles. If you were to just go visit to visit, paying $600, would you be covered for any service that may be needed in the interim? It seems like a plus for the pre-paid is that all service would be covered for the 4 years, not just 4 annual visits. I don't put very many miles on my cars, either... so I'm debating whether or not the prepaid would be of value. If the prepais covered ALL needed service, and if you don't sign up for a contract you would be on the line for ANY service work that might need to be done, it might make the service plan make more sense.

The key is that, in theory, there should be no need to go in between the annual visits for any kind of service except for fixes that need to be made under warranty in the first 4 years / 50,000 miles (or extended warranty after that you can pay $2,500 separately for).

But, the plans themselves are really a bundled pack for the annual visits; they make no commitment for intermediate visits except for warranty repairs.

Sorry guys and ladies, I was in a meeting .. is there audio of this anywhere? Please PM me.

The webcast recording is available here: Tesla - Events Presentations

I think it would be an easy and obvious solution for them to say "hey, you just bought 8 service coupons; use them whenever you want". If it's not required for warranty, then it shouldn't matter when I bring it in.
I like this idea, and it doesn't sound like a financial armageddon or whatever for Tesla to go this route.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry guys and ladies, I was in a meeting .. is there audio of this anywhere? Please PM me.
These are usually found at ir.teslamotors.com but I don't know if the on-demand streaming is up yet. If not, hopefully my OP will be useful to cover much of the content so you're mostly caught up.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm confused by this post. You're upset because there wasn't an off-topic (supercharger) reveal in a servicing announcement?

One note on the value of the service plan: I bought the four year ranger plan, since we do and plan to do even more long-range travel. Yesterday we had our perf tires/21s swapped for our winter tires/19s by Tesla Vancouver. It was convenient for us to drop the car by, so we did. The wheel swap was covered gratis, since we had the service plan. The invoice specifically stated this. Most shops would charge at least $100 for this. So two swaps a year is about 40% of the value of the service plan, before you even talk about inspections, alignment, etc., for those of us in 4-season climates. So I am a happy camper.

They also valeted the car back to us at our hotel, as indicated by the new guidelines.

I felt like there was a special spring in their step too. Now I know why: Elon had just told them they are on a Blues Brothers "mission from God." :smile:

All smoke and mirrors to me. Iv'e got nothing but mediocre service from Tesla. Love the car but yet to see a improvement in service havent seen my car in a week and have a Altima as a rental not a model s. I called today and asked about the loaners and they said theyre not available yet, so why announce it. I get attitude from service people. I might be a little picky at times but i paid over 100k for the car, I think I've earned that right. They try to nickle and dime me on service stuff its ridiculous.