Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Media stop comparing Bolt to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

zambono

Mar 1, 2016
DC
The Bolt is a tin can with a battery. Same design language and performance as the cheapest subcompacts, of which GM has a couple. The model 3 looks pretty good, is a car people won't be embarrassed to be seen in, and will have decent performance. If anything compare to the Volt, which I checked out and was disappointed by the cheap finishes like the black plastic between the doors. Grow up GM

T7frcsr.jpg

In the eyes of the media, the CCS network is also equivalent to the supercharger network, even ignoring the 1/2-1/3rd charging speed handicap. I wish the success of all EVs, but the Bolt definitely is in the same niche as a Leaf or Spark.

Reactions: Kurt Foster
If they were ICE cars they would not be compared. How many times do you see the Chevy Sonic compared to lets see a ford focus, they don't.

I don't see any problem with that.

You can count BEVs manufacturers in the market with one hand, so of course, they should be compared.
If you are in the market for EVs, it is not unreasonable to look at both cars.

And what's wrong with comparing both cars?

And what's wrong with comparing both cars?

Because it's as silly as comparing a smart car with a luxury sedan or a 15-seater van.

The Bolt can only be compared with the Leaf, the i3, the Kia Soul EV, and other similar EVs. All of these are local-only EVs, Teslas (including the Model 3) are the only long-range EVs planned/available on the market. Going from a 100 to a 200 mile battery doesn't make the Bolt a long-distance EV, you kind of need a viable charging network and a viable charging technology for that to happen--neither of which the Bolt has, nor will it ever have with the charging technology used.

So no, even if you pretend that an econo-hatch and a mid-sized luxury sedan are comparable vehicles, they're not even remotely in the same league of electric vehicle.

Reactions: zambono
Because it's as silly as comparing a smart car with a luxury sedan or a 15-seater van.
The Bolt can only be compared with the Leaf, the i3, the Kia Soul EV, and other similar EVs......
So no, even if you pretend that an econo-hatch and a mid-sized luxury sedan are comparable vehicles, they're not even remotely in the same league of electric vehicle.

I would have to disagree.
You are very knowledgeable about the differences between different EVs - their range, recharging network etc.

Not so for the general public. When someone heard the news and saw the line up about Model 3 and became interested in EVs, he or she would look at all the EVs available (which are very limited at this point). So these EVs will be compared together - whether they really are in different leagues or classes is irrelevant.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Yesup hit the nail on the head.

The general public knows very little about EVs. They'll start by doing searches and finding these comparisons. This is how they'll first learn about the differences between the bolt and the Model 3.

So they are catering to the same clueless people in their ridiculous commercials who compare a Malibu to the interior of a Range Rover and are impressed by wifi when their cell phone has been a hotspot for the past 5 years.
While most people have probably heard of Range Rover, there are still many people who have never heard of Tesla. I know this comes as a shock to you. Try to be understanding without being so condescending.

Clueless people who are open-minded and willing to learn are normal. We all have our current interests and things that we have researched and are knowledgable about. It's the deliberately clueless that are a scourge on the planet. Personally I don't mind the comparisons -- it gives a chance to correct the vast amounts of misinformation out there.

Reactions: Festerfeet
While I personally prefer the looks of the Model 3 I don't mind the Bolt (or Leaf or i3 or Volt). I drive a Model S in the U.S. and have driven an i3 in Europe. I love the i3. It's a great and fun car to drive around town, is easy to park, and does everything I need.

The Bolt will likely be a great car for a lot of people if GM does it right. We don't know that though. We don't know how nice the interior will be or how well it will handle. We don't know how much road noise it will have or how nice it is to live with and drive on a daily basis. Based on history the Model 3 will be a much better car than the Bolt. That just means that GM will have to lower the price on the Bolt a bit and that's OK and will allow a lot of people who want to drive a BEV but can't afford a Model 3 to buy a Bolt and enjoy the benefits of a BEV.

The Bolt can only be compared with the Leaf, the i3, the Kia Soul EV, and other similar EVs. All of these are local-only EVs, Teslas (including the Model 3) are the only long-range EVs planned/available on the market. Going from a 100 to a 200 mile battery doesn't make the Bolt a long-distance EV, you kind of need a viable charging network and a viable charging technology for that to happen--neither of which the Bolt has, nor will it ever have with the charging technology used.

So you are saying nobody is buying the Model 3 as daily commuter car?

How big of an issue is the charging network? Perhaps more perception than reality?

I know a number of Model S owners who've never once used a supercharger and many who've never charged anywhere but at home and this hasn't been an issue for them. Most fly for longer trips and only use cars around town. My neighbor has a Leaf that is their preferred car around town but also have a Subaru Forrester that they use for trips and they are quite happy with this arrangement. I know another guy who has an i3 and uses carshare or rental for trips.

The Bolt/leaf are two of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. It's hilarious that these car manufacturers can't seem to produce an attractive EV. I can sketch up renderings in 5 minutes that blow those two cars away aesthetically...it just makes no sense to me.

Then in comes Tesla with a gorgeous, mid-range priced EV. 0-60 in under 6s STANDARD, w/autonomous capability and a jaw-dropping interior display ...there is just no comparison. The Bolt and Leaf are going to be decimated.