Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Mega-consolidated delivery quality issues thread and checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4. rear windshield warping.
5. drivers seat defects.
6. Trim being too short on rear doors.
7. Crack on the bottom of rear tail light.
8. Bottom rocker panel not being fully seated at both ends / both sides.
9. Latch plate defects.
10. Rockchips on bumper / bumper transition piece not fully seated.
11. Tail trim issues.
12. scuffs under front cover.

2/3

Attachments

• IMG_3110D.jpg
    IMG_3110D.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_3107D.jpg
    IMG_3107D.jpg
    829.3 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_3106D.jpg
    IMG_3106D.jpg
    831.9 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3105.jpg
    IMG_3105.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_3109.jpg
    IMG_3109.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_3104.jpg
    IMG_3104.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_3094.jpg
    IMG_3094.jpg
    609.1 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_3102.jpg
    IMG_3102.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_3083.jpg
    IMG_3083.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_3101D.jpg
    IMG_3101D.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 176
13. paint defect
14. (similar to 8 but on other side)
15. Trim too short (related to 6 but on other side).
16. Door gap needs slight adjustment.
17. Ultrasonic sensor damage
18. gaps above frunk seal
19. gap above passenger headlight.
20. scratch on frunk plastic air intake cover.

3/3

Am I too picky?

Attachments

• IMG_3111D.jpg
    IMG_3111D.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_3092.jpg
    IMG_3092.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_3079X.jpg
    IMG_3079X.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_3093X.jpg
    IMG_3093X.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_3095.jpg
    IMG_3095.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_3112D.jpg
    IMG_3112D.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_3088.jpg
    IMG_3088.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3081.jpg
    IMG_3081.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3078.jpg
    IMG_3078.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 164
Here's what I sent to my SA.

1. Issues with trim castings causing lights /trim to be out of position.
2. light / handles recessed to far in reveaing inner casting.
3. Yoke worm.
3a. Carpet loose / not seated behind rear passenger seats.

1/3

View attachment 715872View attachment 715873View attachment 715874View attachment 715876View attachment 715877View attachment 715878View attachment 715879View attachment 715880View attachment 715881View attachment 715883
I would be super curious how much of that is "within spec". Also curious how much else they mess up trying to fine tune it. Definitely agree with some of them across all three posts, some I would say is being rather picky.

Just an FYI. I had a scratch on the wood of my center console cover when the car was delivered. Today they fixed it by replacing the entire center console. Apparently they don't have the individual parts yet.
Did they scratch or scuff any of the trim or surrounding pieces when they replaced the center console? I had a tiny scratch on the center console carbon fiber trim in an area that isn’t very visible, so decided not to pursue fixing it, since I was more concerned they would cause more/new damage when trying to replace the whole center console.

Picked up MY LR tonight. Aside from the drivers side door handle which seems to make a noise and doesn't want to
retrack in without me touching the bottom, build quality seems great.

However - I noticed that when the mirrors are folded in, you see a screw that visible. Is this normal? Seems like anyone
could just remove the mirror then no?

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 179
Did they scratch or scuff any of the trim or surrounding pieces when they replaced the center console? I had a tiny scratch on the center console carbon fiber trim in an area that isn’t very visible, so decided not to pursue fixing it, since I was more concerned they would cause more/new damage when trying to replace the whole center console.
Unfortunately, yes. I saw a small scuff mark on the side of the new console. It is better than the scratch so I will live with it.

Reactions: WiLz and impastu
Picked up MY LR tonight. Aside from the drivers side door handle which seems to make a noise and doesn't want to
retrack in without me touching the bottom, build quality seems great.

However - I noticed that when the mirrors are folded in, you see a screw that visible. Is this normal? Seems like anyone
could just remove the mirror then no?
That screw is visible on my 2015 MS, so yes...

I received my MSLR about 3 weeks ago (ordered 1/27/21). My driving impressions are much like others who have experienced their MS for the first time...amazing!!

From a fit and finish standpoint it is pretty good...nothing glaring, generally a high feeling of quality.

Now for the incredibly frustrating part (after having thought the worst of it was the long delay/zero communication/new orders being delivered before my 8 month old order, etc)...my windows are possessed!! They oftentimes don't work at all (i.e. no response from button input), yet opening the door or using the app to "vent" the windows will work. The drivers side window will roll all the way down on its own or not respond at all. The second most frustrating part is sometimes the window doesn't vent when opening the door which results in the glass slamming against the frame and the door only closing if you really slam it. This then leaves an 1" gap near the mirror where the window can't make it past the frame with the window "bent out". Not a good thing when the windows can't be manually rolled down a bit before closing the door.

I had mobile service out a week ago and the guy checked some things out with his computer and basically said its likely a firmware issue and will resolve itself. Have had two software downloads since the visit...nothing has changed. On Saturday I was stuck driving in the pouring rain for 35 min at 80mph until magically it finally responded. Inside of the car and myself were completely soaked! This was after pulling over and rebooting by holding both scroll wheels down. Also parked it and walked away (in the rain) for 7 min to see if after automatically locking that would change things. Nope. Just eventually rolled up.

My wife won't even trade cars with me if I need her SUV because she can't trust the car won't lock her in, not respond, etc after seeing this.

I am struggling to see how this could be a firmware/software issue if this is not a prevalent problem? Anyone else have this issue? Anyone else solve the problem?

Thanks!

I had something weird like that with the rear passenger side window like it wouldn't go up all the way or not be responsive sometimes...but if i held the window up button seems like it finally sealed.

In any event, that doesn't strike me as a firmware issue. Seems like your windows need to be adjusted. I would try to demand going to a service center and explaining the problem. Windows not closing all the way seems like a big issue especially considering water damage to the car if there are rain events.

I had something weird like that with the rear passenger side window like it wouldn't go up all the way or not be responsive sometimes...but if i held the window up button seems like it finally sealed.

In any event, that doesn't strike me as a firmware issue. Seems like your windows need to be adjusted. I would try to demand going to a service center and explaining the problem. Windows not closing all the way seems like a big issue especially considering water damage to the car if there are rain events.
ditto...doesn't sound like a firmware issue. And in my limited experience with X window issues, the mobile service guys don't have a complete command of the various engineering configurations of the windows across models and generations. Apparently Tesla has different designs with different sensors and motors, the combinations of which will result in different root cause analysis trees...and calls to a level 2 or 3 support desk.

Reactions: TheWalkingDad
ditto...doesn't sound like a firmware issue. And in my limited experience with X window issues, the mobile service guys don't have a complete command of the various engineering configurations of the windows across models and generations. Apparently Tesla has different designs with different sensors and motors, the combinations of which will result in different root cause analysis trees...and calls to a level 2 or 3 support desk.
I've had a mobile tech mess up my interior trunk trim while swapping out rear taillights for condensation issue. I don't really blame him. It was hard to get all the plastic pins aligned in order to seat the trim properly and some of them didn't snap in and some broke resulting in loose pieces bouncing around whenever I opened or closed the trunk.

Then again the service center never fixed it when I took it to them either so I just kinda lived with it. :rolleyes:

Reactions: impastu

I agree that it is a big issue. The forecast is for intermittent rain all week and I'm not sure I feel comfortable driving this car given the damage that could be incurred.

My plaid is arriving this month. Very excited.

For those who have had scratches on the exterior paint etc., what is Tesla doing about it? Are they offering credits, repainting, touch up paint etc? I can’t imagine they would repaint an entire panel for a scratch but maybe they do if it’s reported during pick up?

My plaid is arriving this month. Very excited.

For those who have had scratches on the exterior paint etc., what is Tesla doing about it? Are they offering credits, repainting, touch up paint etc? I can’t imagine they would repaint an entire panel for a scratch but maybe they do if it’s reported during pick up?
Yes, they will paint a panel for a scratch

As a follow up, service replaced my windshield, fixed my windows trim gap, and re-gapped my rear passenger door. CF trim piece for my driver door not in stock yet, will deploy mobile to swap that out when it arrives. Gave me a 75D from Enterprise as a loaner. Would never want to own one of those….