Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Melted Charging Adapter/Cord

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brian from the San Rafael Service Center arrived promptly and not only had a new (and improved) adapter and cord, but also said he was to replace the 12v battery. Never had a problem with it, but he said they were replacing all of the older ones. Not bad service.

Here is the top of the adapter that shows a different, raised Tesla "T"
View attachment 39193
I'm a happy Tesla Camper!

If they are working on a new adapter 'yet again', the above adapter is *not* the new one. Seeing you took delivery in 2012, you had the "first generation" adapters. I took delivery 03/13 and I had the "second generation" adapter, which is the exact same one shown in the photo above. THIS adapter melted for me. They said it was the first "second generation" adapter they've seen that melted. (this replacement was back in April/May). They replaced mine with the same second generation adapter. So just be aware, this second-generation adapter is still prone to melting. but it sounds like they are now working on a third generation adapter. It seems the connector itself is still flimsy as well as this "plasticy" material they are using that is prone to melting at this heat level. I like the idea of the twist locks, kind of like old school BNC network cables.

I just replaced my UMC (which was only 2mo out of its 1yr warranty period). Tesla service cited faults. My 40amp home connection kept stepping down to 30amps. Cable between UMC and wall outlet was getting piping hot but no melt. New UMC, $690, cool to touch. Not too pricey, but it feels wrong to have such a short warranty on such a pivotal component. Same charge fault persists however. I had same electrician install one 40amp outlet outside, one inside. Outside is where fault occurs. Any issues with UMCs in sub 30C temps? Will swap breaker out next, reverse legs, check ground. But will be stumped if this persists. Not too happy w Tesla troubleshooting this. They claimed it was due to other large loads on my 400amp service - but indoor outlet is 100%, same loads... wondering how to hack my old UMC to a hardwired connection (fault is at adapter seat)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also curious that given (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=14V006000#sthash.SHWJLjjf.dpuf) no new adapter is forthcoming, and no mention of issues in general...

I just replaced my UMC (which was only 2mo out of its 1yr warranty period)...it feels wrong to have such a short warranty on such a pivotal component.
Wow, I had no idea the UMC warranty was so short. Makes me a bit uneasy that Tesla has so little faith in it's charging cable compared to everything else that's under warranty. The car is nearly useless without that cable.

I just replaced my UMC (which was only 2mo out of its 1yr warranty period). Tesla service cited faults. My 40amp home connection kept stepping down to 30amps. Cable between UMC and wall outlet was getting piping hot but no melt. New UMC, $690, cool to touch. Not too pricey, but it feels wrong to have such a short warranty on such a pivotal component....(fault is at adapter seat)
It sounds like the failure that you have described may be from a known problem with a UMC.
Scary issue with Nema 14-50 adapter melting

The Tesla model S. charger adapter is being recalled, I assume but don't know if the recall would include Canadian versions.

Same charge fault persists however. I had same electrician install one 40amp outlet outside, one inside. Outside is where fault occurs.
That sounds like there could be a house wiring connection, moisture or temperature issue.

Any issues with UMCs in sub 30C temps?
Some Norwegians have claimed that their UMC are more prone to fail in lower temperatures. Those problems seem to have been reduced or been resolved by software updates. I haven't heard that cold temperatures causes UMC problems in North America.

Many owners with UMC problems in Norway , specially during cold weather

I'm also curious that given (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...eria.nhtsa_ids=14V006000#sthash.SHWJLjjf.dpuf) no new adapter is forthcoming, and no mention of issues in general...
Elon Musk said that the adapters would be mailed out in two weeks, almost two months ago. I don't know of anyone that has received the replacement adapters with a thermal fuse yet.

Has anyone received a replacement 14-50 in the mail?

Some have claimed that the adapters are being held up in testing. Many of us feel that the problem with the UMC is more than the adapter. Many of us feel the connections between the adapter and the rest of the UMC is insufficient. So I'm speculating that Tesla may be considering recalling the entire UMC adapter and cord sets.

given the issues that have persisted with the UMC, it's hard to believe they would charge you for a replacement! I would call up the chain and try and get a refund!! no adapter should get piping hot, Tesla should be happy to replace yours FOC just to reduce the chance of another -f1r3-.

When my Dell Inspiron 8600 melted its power port even 18 months out of warranty, Dell immediately took my laptop back and replaced it with a refurbished current model because of the threat of fire/melting. I, too, am surprised and would suggest escalating.

Hi to all
We picked up our Red S85 yesterday=- what a blast. Went about 60 miles or so, mostly highway. Average speed about 65 with a few miles at 75 and an accidental burst up to 90 (whoops, should not drive by sound...). Average power is showing 315W-hr/mile, figure this is pretty good. Charged for first time to 85%, took 1hr 20 minutes at 30 amps. I checked the main cable it was warm to the touch. This is a bit of a concern- the wiring I had installed for the 14-50 connector is good for about 75A (#4 feeders, not #6) so I am not concerned about the mains, but at 40 amps I am a bit concerned about the heating... a 40A charge will be dissipating about 65% more heat in the cables. Will monitor and report (put a thermocouple on the wires).

Charged for first time to 85%, took 1hr 20 minutes at 30 amps. I checked the main cable it was warm to the touch. This is a bit of a concern- the wiring I had installed for the 14-50 connector is good for about 75A (#4 feeders, not #6) so I am not concerned about the mains, but at 40 amps I am a bit concerned about the heating... a 40A charge will be dissipating about 65% more heat in the cables. Will monitor and report (put a thermocouple on the wires).
Warm is fine. Hot is not. There is a significant amount of power going through the wires even at 30 amps. It's expected to get warm. The places where problems can occur are at the ends (usually the wall end). I can't recall a single instance of a problem with the actual cable.

I am curious what temperatures people are seeing. I saw 68 degrees C on my UMC adapter before contacting Tesla service. I replaced my 14-50 outlet replaced and the UMC adapter temperature decreased to 50 degrees C (28 degrees ambient). So, the temperature dropped 18 degrees C (a step in the right direction) but 50 degrees C still pretty warm. It makes me nervous.

Anyway, you can pick up for $17 a Cen-Tech Infrared Thermometer from Amazon (see web pointer below). I believe checking your equipment’s temperature is the best way to do a “apples-to-apples” comparison among ourselves versus describing things as warm, hot, etc. My thoughts.

Amazon.com: Cen-Tech Infrared Thermometer: Home Improvement

Anyway, you can pick up for $17 a Cen-Tech Infrared Thermometer from Amazon (see web pointer below). I believe checking your equipment’s temperature is the best way to do a “apples-to-apples” comparison among ourselves versus describing things as warm, hot, etc. My thoughts.

Amazon.com: Cen-Tech Infrared Thermometer: Home Improvement

In my opinion, the better way to do it is to get some non-reversable temperature labels. That will show the highest temperature rather than the temperature when you do the measuring.

Please don't hack off the UMC's wall plug socket without understanding that there is a fourth control pin with the following resistance values to ground:

Tesla UMC Plugs Resistance

40 amps - 9.08k ohms

24 amps - 33.16k ohms

16 amps - 75k ohms

12 amps - 140k ohms

We are building an improved design with our next gen JESLA, but I suspect that won't be available until 3rd quarter 2014.
I'm adding this datapoint to every thread where I see this table -

32 amps - 20k ohms (measured from a Canadian 14-50 adapter)