Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes approved for ACTUAL self driving in the USA. And will accept responsibility.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My friend was looking for EQS 580 SUV 2024 EV but it's not available. He had to buy the gas GLS 63 SUV 2024.
I took a ride with him last night. Not impressed. He said the navigation map is buggy: sometimes it takes the wrong route.
It's not like other vendors' map data is flawless...
The UI is awful. The map is worse than google or apple map. The front video is blurry and it does help the navigation. Tesla object rending on the screen is much much better. He read 550 page manual and had a hard time to find how to save dash cam videos. The car costs more than $130,000. Insurance costs $4600 a year.
Yeah I agree. It looks like Windows Vista or something. Carplay/AA is your friend. Most things are easy to find though.

Not sure what any of this has to do with the self-driving tech though...

It's not like other vendors' map data is flawless...

Yeah I agree. It looks like Windows Vista or something. Carplay/AA is your friend. Most things are easy to find though.

Not sure what any of this has to do with the self-driving tech though...
"Not sure what any of this has to do with the self-driving tech though..."
Mercedes EV self-driving cars are not available in the USA yet. It's not ACTUAL as said in the thread title. That's why my friend had to buy another car.

Here's the link to the EQS sedan. From memory, it came out first.
I just saw that one too. But my friend want 580 with 400 mile range. Also clicking on the build button I only see 2023 450.

Mercedes adds a new car light color: Blue for self-driving

"Should police stop and ticket this dude being inattentive and playing around with his infotainment while the car is rolling on the freeway at 40 MPH?"

Now, others, including police, can be informed whether the car is in L3 mode or not by looking for the exterior blue lights. It's genius, and I like it!

231218143404-02-mercedes-turquoise-lights.jpg

231218143215-01-mercedes-turquoise-lights.jpg

Last edited:

"Should police stop and ticket this dude being inattentive and playing around with his infotainment while the car is rolling on the freeway at 40 MPH?"

Now, others, including police, can be informed whether the car is in L3 mode or not by looking for the exterior blue lights. It's genius, and I like it!

Be careful with what you wish for. Other drivers on the road may do bad things to force auto cruise to stop.

Add blue lights and text all you want!

The driver still has full control over the vehicle. Nothing is going to happen.

L3 is different. The system has full control unless the L3 parameters are not met, such as the daylight becoming nighttime in the next half hour.

When the L3 parameters are not met, it will alert the driver to assume control as manual driving first, and then the driver can switch to L2 next if desired. If the driver refuses to take over, the L3 will cease to operate, and the car will come to a complete stop.

L3 is currently legal in Nevada and California. Both states forbid drivers' use of hands-on cell phones, but they do allow drivers to use the infotainment center. Text all you want through the infotainment but not directly punching on your cell phone!

I agree that sounds odd except that if the car determines it needs your attention, you are already looking at the screen to see the warning (as opposed to focused on your phone screen) AND I suppose there is the possibility the system will flip you out of texting to force you to pay attention if necessary.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
BMW will launch their Level 3 system (similar to MB) and hands-free L2 in Germany the spring on the 7-series.

I know they are testing L3 in China too. Not sure about the US.

• Informative
Reactions: diplomat33
L3 still has full driving controls. There's no problem. It is only when the driving controls are removed that I'd start to worry about people messing with the car.
L3 means you aren't looking at the road and you are given at least 10 seconds of warning. If the L3 system wasn't completely bulletproof, someone messing with the car can definitely cause a huge problem vs L2 where the driver is looking at the road.

It's for this reason the L3 cars had very limited ODDs so far.