Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes Debuts EQC Electric Crossover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mercedes-Benz debuted its EQC electric crossover Tuesday in Stockholm.

Daimler AG Chief Executive Dieter Zetsche told reporters at the event that the company has spent more than $12 billion on its electric car push.

“There is no alternative to betting on electric cars, and we’re going all in,” Zetsche said, according to Bloomberg. “It is starting right now.”

upload_2018-9-4_11-40-33-png.331864

The EQC has nice sporty lines, definitely a familiar small Mercedes-Benz SUV look. It’s planned to reach its first customers next year, and pricing is expected to be in the same ballpark as the gas-powered Mercedes GLC and Tesla’s $49,000 Model 3.

Mercedes EQC Specs:

402 horsepower and 564 lb-ft from a pair of asynchronous motors and an 80 kWh li-ion battery

Range: up to 200 miles

187.4″ (L) x 82.5″ (W-including mirrors) x 63.9″ H; 113.1″ wheelbase

Curb weight: N/A

MPGe: N/A

DC fast-charging time, 110 kW, 10-80 percent: 40 minutes (wall-charging time: N/A)

0-60 mph: 4.9 seconds

The car is part of a growing list of challengers to Tesla, including the Porsche Taycan, Audi E-tron and Jaguar I-Pace. Read more about Tesla’s EV competition in 2019 here.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s funny. This is 2018. I believe anyone interested in an EV knows a Tesla on sight
Sure, but that's a small minority of the overall population. Far more people will be able to point out the corresponding brand of the EQC, I-Pace or e-tron.

And the question "what car is this" is something many people who buy a expensive premium car as status symbol don't want.

For now this might not matter so much for Tesla, because there are few EVs and all the enthusiasts can easily recognise one, but if Tesla constantly changes the design and there is no clear way to recognise their cars how is the average person ever going to identify the brand? What happens in the long term when Tesla has more models and new generations of those, how many people will be able to identify all the cars as Tesla?

Sure, but that's a small minority of the overall population. Far more people will be able to point out the corresponding brand of the EQC, I-Pace or e-tron.

And the question "what car is this" is something many people who buy a expensive premium car as status symbol don't want.

I’m glad there’s EV competition coming on board, even though there’s no place to reliably charge them to enable long distance trips. They’ll at least generate interest in the next generation of travel, and more importantly, those interested enough will research all models available and choose wisely.

Perhaps in your corner of the world, the brands you mention are more readily recognizable, but their EV offerings are not projected to be made in enough numbers to be worth considered a true competitor to Tesla, IMHO. Too little, too late.

The fact that people go out of their way to ask what kind of car a Tesla is telling. They’re intrigued. It shows interest. That a good thing, and offers the opportunity to educate them. Seeing an EQC? Meh, just another Benz which won’t get another look.

Reactions: jgs
I’m no branding expert but... the “T” on the front?
Not really that visible if you are a bit further away and you really have to look for that specific emblem.

The fact that people go out of their way to ask what kind of car a Tesla is telling. They’re intrigued. It shows interest. That a good thing, and offers the opportunity to educate them. Seeing an EQC? Meh, just another Benz which won’t get another look.
And my point is that while that opportunity is great, but I would want it to turn into some kind of brand identification. That when they see a Model 3 they realize "hey that must be the new cheaper car from that company they guy talked about". If they see the Model Y drive past them some time in the future I'd want them to be like "Oh, looks like that electric compact SUV is available". You will wanted people to know the new Roadster is a Tesla and not have them thinking that's a cool new McLaren.

And my point is that while that opportunity is great, but I would want it to turn into some kind of brand identification.
Yeah, let’s slap a big gaudy emblem on the front of a Tesla, that’ll make it more desirable. Better yet, let’s slap an even larger one on the rear of the car since that’s all those laggard legacy mouth breathing fossil fuel lung chokers behind us will ever see.

Look, the brand is already known. Your spidy sense should be telling you that. No need for pretentious adornments that do nothing but disrupt the clean lines and minimalist appeal of a Tesla, IMHO.

Reactions: jgs

Interesting show. I was struck by several things. One, the range was mentioned as "over 200 miles," which sounds quite modest. the Mercedes engineer did not specify a battery size, so it is difficult to directly compare to the Model X.

Another surprise to me was the large nose, high hood, and lack of a frunk. The entire under-hood space was occupied by the drive train and associated mechanical and electrical components. Is this inefficient packaging or was it done that way for manufacturing ease, or am i missing something? The engineer mentioned that the drive train is built as a package in a different plant form the chassis, and installed as a unit, which might indicate that manufacturing ease dictated this arrangement.

And a third thing was the engineer's comment (in response to a question from Jay Leno) that the battery would not heat itself if it got very cold (after sitting for a few days in extreme cold). That seems to suggest the lack of a battery heater, or it may speak to battery management not including a reserve for self-heating. I wonder what they will tell the owner to do if he/she needs to leave the car parked in winter for more than a few days, while traveling or something. (It could be the engineer did not tell the whole story.)

• Informative
Reactions: Brando and jgs
Interesting show. I was struck by several things. One, the range was mentioned as "over 200 miles," which sounds quite modest. the Mercedes engineer did not specify a battery size, so it is difficult to directly compare to the Model X.

Another surprise to me was the large nose, high hood, and lack of a frunk. The entire under-hood space was occupied by the drive train and associated mechanical and electrical components. Is this inefficient packaging or was it done that way for manufacturing ease, or am i missing something? The engineer mentioned that the drive train is built as a package in a different plant form the chassis, and installed as a unit, which might indicate that manufacturing ease dictated this arrangement.

And a third thing was the engineer's comment (in response to a question from Jay Leno) that the battery would not heat itself if it got very cold (after sitting for a few days in extreme cold). That seems to suggest the lack of a battery heater, or it may speak to battery management not including a reserve for self-heating. I wonder what they will tell the owner to do if he/she needs to leave the car parked in winter for more than a few days, while traveling or something. (It could be the engineer did not tell the whole story.)

I was really startled. Is this what they come with after all these years!? Look under the hood, and that flimsy cover over the drivetrain. Then that drivetrain itself. All those hoses and cables. They mentioned that the same set-up is for the rear motor. Really, back there, all those hoses again!?
As mentioned, a "over 200 mile range" and that is only coming out in 2020!

You just saw the reaction of Jay Leno, he wasn't very impressed either. The looks is ok but other than that..

Reactions: Brando and jgs
The entire under-hood space was occupied by the drive train and associated mechanical and electrical components. Is this inefficient packaging or was it done that way for manufacturing ease, or am i missing something?

I'm with you all the way. I think that this specific issue is related to their reluctance to depart from well-honed and very ingrained engineering skills and habits: packaging and treating the new parts like an engine block means they were able to carry over established methods of crash-protection and chassis design.

Obviously a very conservative foray into new territories.

Reactions: Brando and David29
Sat in it at Geneva. Was negatively surprised by the small amount of interior space. This is a transitional vehicle with very little relevance to the much better optimized products following. Doesn't mean it can't be the right car for some.

Lol it actually is the same range. NEDC 450km which is roughly on par with standard range MX.

I clearly stated they will not have the same EPA range. I'll gladly come back to this thread when those numbers comes out. I guess you can consider getting within 35 miles of the X's EPA range is ok...ya know for a 5 seater that's smaller than the X...and slower than the X. :rolleyes:

Reactions: PrGrPa