Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes EQC electric SUV (Concept EQ)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Spidy

Feb 7, 2015
EU
Has there been no post about this so far?

Concept EQ – Mobility revisited.
Electric car "Concept EQ" by Mercedes-Benz | Daimler

Prototype spotted:

Mercedes EQ C Spied Getting Ready For Production
Spyshots: 2020 Mercedes-Benz EQC Is Out for Jaguar I-Pace Blood

spyshots-2020-mercedes-benz-eqc-plays-the-compact-electric-suv-card_4.jpg

Expect to see lots of concept cars from all the major manufacturers soon. They are losing lots of sales to Tesla and these are desighed to keep their customers from jumping ship.
They will look fantastic, have tremendous specifications, and promise absolutely no problems, but the production models rarely measure up to these dream concepts.

What's up with all the "mainstream" car manufacturers doing all kind of goofy things to differentiate EV from the rest?

They really do have a hard time not making a weirdmobile... I'm not sure if it's a legit attempt to differentiate because they think it will positively underscore the offering and they are just ourt of touch... or a (subconsciously?) deliberate attempt to sabotage the success...

Reactions: arcus
And don't forget the imminent Tesla M/X refresh which might almost double the Tesla range ;)

Stop saying things like that, the only thing you are accomplishing is less people buying the current EVs, because they wait for some "imminent" refresh. Model S/X refresh has been "imminent" for over a year now and while it was 30% more range at first, we apparently are at twice the range now. Maybe just wait for Tesla to match the previous expectations, before inventing new ones.

They really do have a hard time not making a weirdmobile... I'm not sure if it's a legit attempt to differentiate because they think it will positively underscore the offering and they are just ourt of touch... or a (subconsciously?) deliberate attempt to sabotage the success...

The problem is, that no matter how they design it, people will complain. If it has a grille, people complain, if it doesn't it's a weird mobile, just to give one example. Or no buttons vs buttons, another topic you just can't make everyone happy.

But you are right, the concept looks weird, which was probably the intention. Concepts should not look like production cars, because they would cannibalize sales of the current cars. That's why they are made to look different.

In the end this Mercedes will probably look a lot like the GLC, which is a good thing. All those lighting elements will have to go, since they are too expensive and the interior will be revised for ergonomics. The exterior might look somewhat the same, but it will have mirrors and again no LED weirdness (too expensive).

I think it will launch in 2019, maybe 2020 model year in some markets. But yeah Jaguar I-Pace and Audi e-tron Quattro will be available a bit earlier.

2019 is what I've heard, too. But I think this will be more aimed towards a lower price, just 75(?) kWh I think, vs the higher priced Jaguar and Audi (90-95 kWh). BMW iX3 and Tesla Model Y will be the main competitors, I think. And both will come out around the same time.

I really don't understand why only Porsche has the balls to try a sedan and why no one does a wagon. Those SUVs might be super popular right now, but in an EV the body style will have a negative effect on range. So a wagon and sedan body type should come before the SUV(the guys at Tesla actually figured that out and they live and work in SUV country). But I guess the SUV body style is so popular, that it's really hard to convince the finance department to spend a big amount of cash, which is needed for an EV platform and not start with what is considered the automotive cash cow first.

The problem is, that no matter how they design it, people will complain. If it has a grille, people complain, if it doesn't it's a weird mobile, just to give one example. Or no buttons vs buttons, another topic you just can't make everyone happy.

But you are right, the concept looks weird, which was probably the intention. Concepts should not look like production cars, because they would cannibalize sales of the current cars. That's why they are made to look different.

I agree you can't make everyone happy all the time. Certainly Tesla is no exception... nosecone/non, hard/soft buttons, cupholders. etc... But not being able to please people is an issue no matter what: People haven't liked styling changes since fins came and went 60 years ago... yet design moved forward and we no longer have giant chrome bumpers and huge whitewall tires.

That having been said, a good designer has to balance form-follows-function and styling. In the functionality category there's aero, battery packaging, etc... and in the styling category there's often some heritage involved (BMW's kidneys, for instance). A good designer with an evolutionary approach can successfully introduce a new design that incorporates technically desirable changes that appeals to a good number of folks.

It's the inclusion of over-the-top design features for no good reason in order to try to differentiate being an EV that seems to border on pleasing now one more than anything else. Most EV enthusiasts don't want to drive something that looks like it came out of a Transformers movie. And people already skeptical about EV's simply look at these reaffirm their opinion that these aren't the cars for them.

In any case, not necessarily disagreeing with your... concept cars indeed have their place... but sometimes I think the manufactures forget exactly where that is...