Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes EQC electric SUV (Concept EQ)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not often I saw such a boring launch event like the EQC one in Stockholm. That guy talked 15 out of 20 minutes about Sweden. Obviously there is not enough stuff to say about the vehicle.

The car is a converted GLC. The back looks very good (as it does with the GLC), but the front looks ugly to me. It has a fake nose cone like the old Teslas.

What was funny that the guy tried to sell the presence of a combustion engine as an safety advantage in their legacy cars, and they tried to imitate that in their EV construction. LOL. The contrary is true, the combustion engine is a big safety disadvantage in crash situation, as it does not absorb as much energy as a dedicated crash construction.

To sum up:
- 450 km range (NEFZ) vs. up to 565 km (Model X)
- 80 KWh battery pack
- 7.4 KW on board charger one-phase! (vs. 11 KW three phase on Model X)
- up to 110 KW CCS peak charging
- 22 KWh/100 km vs. 20.8 (Model X)
- 408 PS (vs. 611 PS for Model X)
- 2.4 tons (same as bigger 7-seater X)
- 0-100 5,1 s (vs. 3.1 - 5.2 for Model X)
- 180 kmh max (vs. 250 km/h for Model X)
- rose gold air outlets ...
- NO frunk
- starting price of 70K Euros (naked automobile), about 81K USD.
- production start summer 2019

The EQC shows how far behind the former leader in automotive is in that area. Mercedes should have increased their stake in Tesla instead of selling the shares. They hardly match the I-Pace and are far behind an three year old X in almost all specs. With similar configuration, this thing will be more expensive than a Model X. For an EV, it has some major drawbacks, such as the high power consumption, as well as the low charging speed and the inefficient space usage with no frunk.
Either they are using different math than I am, or whatever "NEFZ-range" isn't worth much.

If the MB consumption spec is correct, range would be 360KM (~225) miles with 80kWh usable. Less if that's full, rather than usable, capacity.

Either way the car is not very efficient. Probably due to aerodynamic drawbacks. After all the hype surrounding the concept car from 2016, the EQC is the disappointment of this year.
Only to the believers in the big old companies who haven't yet come to terms on their utter incompetence regarding anything EV.

Tesla's first car, that roadster from 2007, was already above anything any old dino had managed to put on the road as of today.
Including all the concepts.

The proof is in the pudding.

jesus christ, 80 kwh usable with no plans for a bigger batterie and an exterior design that basically screams "air drag".

450km NEFZ, my ass. In germany that thing will barely reach 200km if the driver doesn`t want to get murdered by everyone else or constantly drives behind some semi.... That also explains why that Mercedes will come to germany last in europe......
Merc absolutely hasn`t understood EVs and just how little energy you`re actually carrying around, and no amount of interior bling bling will make up for that. And don`t even get me started on the charging mentality.
Tesla has been doing this better since 2012 It´s like the classic manufacturers haven`t learned a thing during that time.

Ok, last hope for german EVs till 2020, VW`s ID sometime next year.
I´m not betting anything on Audi as their design is the same crap as the EQC.

Last edited:
Reactions: tescroft
Daimler's BEV problems began when they discontinued their relationship with Tesla and sold their huge chunk of stock!!!

Their problems will be worse by 2020 when they're starting to deliver this car. The Model Y will be launched and public anticipation will be very high (riding as it does on the coat-tails of the Model 3). And the updated Model S+X with 21-70 battery packs - potentially with single-layer and double-layer options - will be out.

112mph? 355Wh/mile? 200 mile range? Fake exhaust tips on the back and a big grille up front? It's a dog. It's going to be as useful for Mercedes as the Polestar was for Volvo.

Our i3 will tide us over till we can get an EV SUV-ish car for our other needs - we are waiting (im)patiently.....

The Model Y still looks the best option although what it finally looks like and when it will get to Afrika are big questions. So the I Pace, the Merc EQC and eTron were all 'interesting'.

Sadly they are falling by the wayside as the details get revealed. I Pace? Too poor energy consumption (at the moment) and too expensive but quite nice otherwise.

So I was getting quite excited about the Merc EQC (the concept look promising - as did the drip-feed info)……

After reviewing all the stuff that has come out since the release, I am seriously underwhelmed. Too heavy; too expensive; poor range (again..?!); disappointing styling (blunt fugly front); basically a converted ICE car not playing to EV advantages; massive useless bonnet with a fake 'engine' (wtf?); etc

And the interior just looks like a blingy dog's breakfast - disjointed; ostentatious; scrappy; busy; ugly. Does this sort of nonsense actually appeal to some people?! I must be already too influenced by the M3/MS interior already as I imagine it would have been ok just a few year ago!!!!

A Tesla killer? You've got to be joking.

Reactions: jgs
To sum up:
- 450 km range (NEFZ) vs. up to 565 km (Model X)
- 80 KWh battery pack
- 7.4 KW on board charger one-phase! (vs. 11 KW three phase on Model X)
- up to 110 KW CCS peak charging
- 22 KWh/100 km vs. 20.8 (Model X)
- 408 PS (vs. 611 PS for Model X)
- 2.4 tons (same as bigger 7-seater X)
- 0-100 5,1 s (vs. 3.1 - 5.2 for Model X)
- 180 kmh max (vs. 250 km/h for Model X)
- rose gold air outlets ...
- NO frunk
- starting price of 70K Euros (naked automobile), about 81K USD.
- production start summer 2019
All true, but the 565km NEFZ Model X has a starting price of 115000EUR, that's 45000EUR more than the EQC or 64% more expensive.

Even the cheapest Model X with 417km NEFZ range starts at 96000EUR, still 26000EUR more than a base EQC.

Unbenannt.JPG
Unbenannt2.JPG

• Disagree
Their problems will be worse by 2020 when they're starting to deliver this car. The Model Y will be launched and public anticipation will be very high (riding as it does on the coat-tails of the Model 3). And the updated Model S+X with 21-70 battery packs - potentially with single-layer and double-layer options - will be out.

Probably not. Expect a Model S / X refresh in 2021 at best.
Tesla is planning a big Model S/Model X interior refresh in Q3 2019 – full refresh in 2021

You compare a naked automobile with a fully equiped one. Go configure your EQC when the configurator will be online in 2019 and check the number at the summary page. Mercedes Benz option prices will do the rest.

I doubt the Benz will come without the digital dashboard etc. for the base price. They don't make 2 versions of this interior.
And even the base EQC will be quite nice with the 450km NEFZ range, 408 HP, 110kW charging...

I am disappointed with the EQC. They did not prioritize the EV design advantages, but instead opted to "electrify paper". No frunk. Huge center console. Huge transaxel tunnel. Even the marketing pictures have glare in the screens. But maybe because MBs customer base is very conservative, it had to be like this.