Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 on Uberturbines- 265/35 & 275/35R21

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And by the way, whenever I replaced my staggered tires, Discount Tire always let me replace all 4, and they prorated the front two, since the rears were done at 20k miles, and the fronts had about half left. The first time I told them I had issues with stability control only replacing the rears... The second time, they didn't even hesitate when I asked to replace all 4.
Great advice, thanks! I’m probably overthinking it and just need to keep these and take solace knowing I won’t have to go on another wild goose chase when it’s time to replace the OEM rears. It definitely won’t take me 5 years to accumulate 20k mi with my daily commute.

Wish I had a more interesting update re: 295/40/21, but just called Americas Tire again and apparently my front 265s are just coming out of back order and will be shipping from Georgia on Monday. So hoooopefully by next Friday, which means installing after the holiday.
Thanks for letting us know. While I’m no longer personally in the market as I’m very happy with my 295/35s, I am very curious to know if they fit as I will be back in the market in a mere 25k or so…! Happy Holidays all — stay safe out there.

I just got my Tesla Y performance with these tires. I’m about to head to mammoth and the Tesla Konig snow chains won’t get here in time.

I’d like to buy some locally to carry just in case - what size/specs/brands have you found to fit well? Which retailers would carry in SoCal?

Thanks all

Just installed the 265/40/21 + 295/40/21 set!

Here’s my initial impressions from the 25 mile drive home:
  • The road feels smoother overall. Big bumps are still noticeable, but the smaller stuff feels dampened. That’s good!
  • Take this with a grain of salt because it’s raining hard and I was hauling my previous set in plastic bags inside the car, but road noise seems… louder in the low frequencies but perhaps quieter overall in the mids and highs. Hard to tell, but I think it’s an improvement.
  • The 405 freeway around LA is pretty unpleasant in any car. That said, I sensed a little more bouncing from front to back on one stretch than I’m used to, which may have something to do with the fact that this setup pitches the car slightly further forward than the OEM tires did (I think). Too soon to tell if it’s the tires or the road.
  • Wheels are definitely more protected, but if you hit a curb hard enough it’s still going to leave a mark.
  • Didn’t notice any rubbing in front but keeping an eye out. The dude at America’s Tire said it looked like there was plenty of room in the rear.
No photos yet because it’s dark and raining. Instead, enjoy this photo of a dog sitting like a hooman in the waiting room at America’s Tire.
A1587B74-D833-4B72-A69B-98C2591EB0E7.jpeg

Here’s my initial impressions from the 25 mile drive home:
  • The road feels smoother overall. Big bumps are still noticeable, but the smaller stuff feels dampened. That’s good!
  • Take this with a grain of salt because it’s raining hard and I was hauling my previous set in plastic bags inside the car, but road noise seems… louder in the low frequencies but perhaps quieter overall in the mids and highs. Hard to tell, but I think it’s an improvement.
  • The 405 freeway around LA is pretty unpleasant in any car. That said, I sensed a little more bouncing from front to back on one stretch than I’m used to, which may have something to do with the fact that this setup pitches the car slightly further forward than the OEM tires did (I think). Too soon to tell if it’s the tires or the road.
  • Wheels are definitely more protected, but if you hit a curb hard enough it’s still going to leave a mark.
  • Didn’t notice any rubbing in front but keeping an eye out. The dude at America’s Tire said it looked like there was plenty of room in the rear.
No photos yet because it’s dark and raining. Instead, enjoy this photo of a dog sitting like a hooman in the waiting room at America’s Tire.View attachment 747657
Nice. Looking forward to the photos although the dog version is a great placeholder. Stay well.

Reactions: Canyonero
FYI, Michelin now has the exact original tire size for MYP: 255/35-21 and 275/35-21. Seems like they are designed specifically for MYP, not only the sizing and load rating, but also the acoustic design (foam lining inside the tire to reduce noise), similar to the original tires. In CA, you can order them from American Tire Depot or America's Tires. On the latter, you have to call, as they are not yet listed on the website. You can also order them from Discount Tires, also have to call the stores. It took about a week to get the tires after ordering in CA (supposedly shipped from Texas). The tires are made in Mexico.

In any case, I just got mine installed 2 days ago. Compared to the OEM summer tires, these drive softer and slightly quieter, but not as precise or stable at high speed cornering. That said, they are good enough I'll personally keep them all year round. :)

Awesome! Glad they finally got them on, so far so good. Thank you for the detailed account.
Instead, enjoy this photo of a dog sitting like a hooman in the waiting room at America’s Tire.
Incredible. This totally overshadows that you’ve made me unconsciously sing Homer’s Canyonero jingle daily for weeks. :)

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

• Love
Reactions: Canyonero
FYI, Michelin now has the exact original tire size for MYP: 255/35-21 and 275/35-21. Seems like they are designed specifically for MYP, not only the sizing and load rating, but also the acoustic design (foam lining inside the tire to reduce noise), similar to the original tires. In CA, you can order them from American Tire Depot or America's Tires. On the latter, you have to call, as they are not yet listed on the website. You can also order them from Discount Tires, also have to call the stores. It took about a week to get the tires after ordering in CA (supposedly shipped from Texas). The tires are made in Mexico.

In any case, I just got mine installed 2 days ago. Compared to the OEM summer tires, these drive softer and slightly quieter, but not as precise or stable at high speed cornering. That said, they are good enough I'll personally keep them all year round. :)
Would you be able to provide a link for these or the actual product number? Trying to order from American tire depot after my discount tires order got cancelled.

Super Embarrassing Update!

Turns out they installed 295/35/21 in the rear, not 295/40/21.

Yeah, so I only took a quick glance at the tires when they were installed. It was pouring and I needed to get home, so I just assumed they'd installed the correct rears. And we all know what they say about assumptions. Sigh...

I guess the 295/35/21 are fine though, I'll just need America's Tire to refund the difference. After a few hundred miles on these the road definitely feels smoother, handling and performance are basically unchanged, and the noise is perfectly acceptable. I definitely prefer the look of the fatter tires, but maybe I'd have liked the 40s even better? Guess we'll never know.

Rubbing obviously won't be an issue, but then we already knew that so... 🥴

Reactions: OutofPocket

Yeah, so I only took a quick glance at the tires when they were installed. It was pouring and I needed to get home, so I just assumed they'd installed the correct rears. And we all know what they say about assumptions. Sigh...

I guess the 295/35/21 are fine though, I'll just need America's Tire to refund the difference. After a few hundred miles on these the road definitely feels smoother, handling and performance are basically unchanged, and the noise is perfectly acceptable. I definitely prefer the look of the fatter tires, but maybe I'd have liked the 40s even better? Guess we'll never know.

Haha, it does feel better in that smaller font. I guess there are worse mistakes they could have made, glad to hear the positive feedback!

Thanks for the mea culpa update! I've been following this thread to see pics of your 295/40s. Whenever I get my MYP, I'll post some pics of the 295/40/21 AS4s on the back. They're sitting in my shed just waiting.

For others with a similar question, this guy put the 295/40/21 AS4s on his MYP and they look great, so I'm feeling encouraged about my choice to upsize: Maximum Tires Size Model Y Performance?

Thanks for the mea culpa update! I've been following this thread to see pics of your 295/40s. Whenever I get my MYP, I'll post some pics of the 295/40/21 AS4s on the back. They're sitting in my shed just waiting.

For others with a similar question, this guy put the 295/40/21 AS4s on his MYP and they look great, so I'm feeling encouraged about my choice to upsize: Maximum Tires Size Model Y Performance?
Yeah I saw that and that's what gave me the confidence to tell them to install the 40s in the first place! I look forward to seeing them on yours instead.