Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Registration Fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a model S this past year. Michigan registration laws are terrible compared to others since we do not give the full value of the trade in toward tax. So for my scenario the MS was 83,050 and I traded in an old model S for 40,000. In Michigan I had to pay tax on (83,050 - 3,000)*6%=$4,803
What is the - 3,000 for?
I'm also likely trading in a model S. But, I may decide to sell it ahead of time as long as it's not too annoying. I'm just wondering what advantages there might be to trading it in.

What is the - 3,000 for?
I'm also likely trading in a model S. But, I may decide to sell it ahead of time as long as it's not too annoying. I'm just wondering what advantages there might be to trading it in.

I believe that was the maximum last year for the trade in price that can be deducted. So if you sold a 40k car, in Michigan currently you could deduct only 3k towards the new car. Other states have a much higher cap. I heard that this number increases every year so eventually it will be meaningful (or who knows they may change the laws).

Reactions: usofrob
My MVPA has $49,000 listed for the car. :(

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 107
I used my Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement in the My Tesla area. The first page is labeled “Vehicle Configuration”, and the first line on mine said “Model 3 — $35,000”. If they’ve changed how they write that document since April, I would ask Tesla to write something that specifically states that the base price is $35k. It’s unfortunate that the documents Tesla sends in the self-registration packet lack adequate detail.

So a quick recap about how to get the most $$ savings from stupid EV-unfriendly MI registration process:

1. Renew registration on an ICE car that I plan to sell. Expiration date is end of Feb 2019 so I can renew at the end of this month.
2. Take delivery currently scheduled in the second week of Sep in Cleveland. Have them issue a 45-day OH paper plate.
3. Sell the ICE before the 45-day plate expires.
4. Transfer the ICE plate to the M3.
5. At the transfer, show them the sales doc with "Model 3" separately listed with the 35k base price.
6. Not worrying about paying the EV penalty until Feb 2020.
7. At the Feb 2020 renewal the fees would be calculated based on the 35K base price.

Is that correct or I'm doing something wrong here? Thx

• Love
Reactions: Kzooman
The SOS lady didn't ask me for a price of my car. I never gave them the MVPA. All they wanted was the Title Transfer Agreement I got from Tesla (may have had the value of the car on there, I'm not sure. I'll try to remember tonight and check when I get home) and my Title (Ohio DMV Title). I also brought my plate in so she knew what plate I was going to use.
It cost me like $23 to transfer the title to Michigan and use my old plate (Tag expires May 2019).
EZPZ

OK, here’s the promised update to my registration saga:

The paperwork I got in the self-registration packet that was FedExed from California along with the Ohio title wasn’t enough. The final bill of sale included in it only showed the total purchase price, and the people at the Secretary of State were going to use that as the base price of the car. Fortunately, I brought a copy of my vehicle configuration (1st page of the purchase agreement), which broke out the base price as $35k and the options itemized separately. After walking them through that, they agreed that the base price was $35k.

I would recommend that before you leave the desk, check the second box on the third line of the Application for Michigan Vehicle Title — it’s the fee category/weight box. It should read “000035E” — the numbers mean a base price of $35k, and the “E” is for “electric”. (I guess if they don’t put in the “E”, that could save you the EV fee...)

I had already done the thing where I put another year on my previous car’s plates before I sold it — when I transferred the plates, they didn’t hit me up for the EV fee, so that was a bonus. (Not to mention the previous car had a lot lower registration fee, anyway!)

Thank you so much for this update! I have been scrambling trying to figure out how this would all work.

With the renewal of the plate 6 months early, did you just make an appointment at the DMV to do this? Or was it something you did online? (Have never wanted to give the SOS money early :p.)

Got a question.. I will be taking delivery of my Model 3 in couple of weeks. I plan to trade-in my wife's car, but the Model 3 will be registered in my name. Can I transfer the plate from my wife's car to the model 3? Or would I need to have her name too in the Model 3 registration?

Got a question.. I will be taking delivery of my Model 3 in couple of weeks. I plan to trade-in my wife's car, but the Model 3 will be registered in my name. Can I transfer the plate from my wife's car to the model 3? Or would I need to have her name too in the Model 3 registration?
Looks like you can transfer, even with a different name:
SOS - Transferring a License Plate
Not sure if the out of state Tesla store handles that though, vs you going to SOS yourself (starting with temp plate on car).

Reactions: outdoors
So a quick recap about how to get the most $$ savings from stupid EV-unfriendly MI registration process:

1. Renew registration on an ICE car that I plan to sell. Expiration date is end of Feb 2019 so I can renew at the end of this month.
2. Take delivery currently scheduled in the second week of Sep in Cleveland. Have them issue a 45-day OH paper plate.
3. Sell the ICE before the 45-day plate expires.
4. Transfer the ICE plate to the M3.
5. At the transfer, show them the sales doc with "Model 3" separately listed with the 35k base price.
6. Not worrying about paying the EV penalty until Feb 2020.
7. At the Feb 2020 renewal the fees would be calculated based on the 35K base price.

Is that correct or I'm doing something wrong here? Thx

A follow up since I just did the car title and registration.
1. Yes renewed old car (much in advance)
2. Had 45 day ohio plate
3 and4: Transferred plate to tesla for 8 (also 15 for new title FYI)
5. However they would not budge on accepting the 35K base price. They have a software they check on (i believe it is the NADA site and you can do this yourself through here SOS - Vehicle Base Prices ). Basically they asked what model, awd, performance etc and computed a base price of 53K for dual motor non performance. So registration now states 53E. Ugghh
6 and 7: Mine renews earlier than yours so i am going to be paying a higher price earlier it looks like

Were you or anyone recently able to convince them to use the 35K successfully?

I showed them the document I got from Tesla that shows 35k base price. She took a copy of it and wrote a note. I think it helps to be very friendly with them. :)

Thanks. What SOS was this at and was it recent? The one i went to at Troy, oakland county has reportedly registered multiple teslas (the lady at counter 1 told me all she seems to be seeing last month are teslas!!) and they claim they have a process wherein they look it up online (NADA site). So though i tried showing them the docs, they wouldnt budge. A lady in fact in i think counter 8 asked very specific questions such as if it was a AWD or RWD or performance and said she had done another tesla just before I came in.

My suspicion is that this is the way going forward as more and more SOS learn about Tesla M3. I honestly done know if there is a right or wrong answer anymore. If it is the 35K, and I was overcharged, i am not against challenging it but not sure who I would need to contact (? Lansing).

Today, I registered my Model 3 at the Lansing SOS and was told their procedure is to enter the VIN into NADA's paid site and whatever comes back is what they have to use, $49,000. We need to change the price at NADA or change the procedure.

I wonder, if NADA sets its base prices the same way for other vehicles or if, some at NADA not being too keen on Tesla might be playing into this...
NADA Chairman: Consumers Prefer Dealers Over Tesla Direct Sales

I also live in Michigan, and am scheduled for delivery at Chicago-Westmont on 11/24, a little confused about how Tesla handles third-party financing. I had my credit union wire (preferred method according to the Tesla instructions to Lienholders), and now it shows that portion as another deposit (in addition to my original $2500 order deposit). However, it still lists that same amount as the amount financed and shows that I owe a seriously large negative amount at delivery. Can any of you share your experiences on how third party financing works for Michigan residents taking delivery in Chicago. I was planning on just making my final downpayment via personal check at delivery.