Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just tried the supercharger today. Very cool. I was coming from Chicago so I didn't drive on the bridge over the highway to get to the supercharger. I looked at it as I turned onto Niles Rd. It is narrow. Not sure there is a sidewalk so walking over it to get to the gas station or the apple barn may not be possible. Can the next supercharger users confirm this? I won't be back to michigan for a number of days.

Big changes to the supercharger network in Michigan. We just received our first in St. Joseph and had our hopes high for few more.

- Deployment time has changed for most of the chargers. I don't think so we will get any more before spring 2014.
- Total number has decreased from 10 to 8.
- Jackson and Marshall now dropped. I think there is a big mistake here. This will be very difficult for people traveling from Detroit to Chicago, as the distance is almost 180 miles to St. Joseph. I agree these two were very close, but atleast one was essential for cross-state travel. The distance is even more for people traveling from Canada to Chicago. Nearest charger in Canada is in Chatham. This makes it virtually impossible for a 60 kWh to travel from Detroit/Canada to Chicago.
- Angola, IN now replaces Marshall on the same route. People may have to travel through Angola, IN to reach Chicago from Detroit. More toll to reach Chicago now.
- I see 2 overlapping dots in NE Ohio, it makes sense to me esp. if they are spaced on different corridors (see below for explanation). I welcome a charger in Cleveland and I can think about travel to Buffalo to visit friends. One thing I always wondered in Tesla's original map. I hope there is a superchargers in Youngstown (on the map) and Erie (not on the map). These 2 are different and non-overlapping corridors [Cleveland-Erie-Buffalo (I-90) & Cleveland-Youngstown-Pittsburgh (I-80)], I think both deserve a supercharger. Distance from Cleveland to Buffalo is 200 miles, and current plan makes it impossible for a 60 kWh to do the distance without stopping in between. It will also be difficult for an 85 kWh to do the distance in winter conditions.

This teaches us, nothing is final and it is an evolving plan. I hope Tesla revises their plan once again to facilitate above mentioned travel. I don't think it is a good idea to plan superchargers more than 130 miles away in cold states.

- Jackson and Marshall now dropped. I think there is a big mistake here. This will be very difficult for people traveling from Detroit to Chicago, as the distance is almost 180 miles to St. Joseph. I agree these two were very close, but a tleast one was essential for cross-state travel. The distance is even more for people traveling from Canada to Chicago. Nearest charger in Canada is in Chatham. This makes it virtually impossible for a 60 kWh to travel from Detroit/Canada to Chicago.

VERY disappointed. I had hoped to be able to easily make the trip from Toronto to Chicago to visit my daughter. This looks like it will be more of a challenge.

@mknox
You came to mind as soon as I saw the change. Jackson is absolutely critical to do any meaningful travel in the state. It is on the way to Lansing (Alt route), Grand Rapids and Chicago. I don't understand the rationale to drop this one. Jackson is also midway between Chatham to St. Joseph. Without Jackson, distance between Chatham and St. Joseph is 240 miles. That is difficult for even 85 kWh. I send letters to Tesla. Hope others agree and communicate to the company.

Last edited:
[Cross-posted here...Tesla Supercharger network - Page 239]

Folks, got this reply from Tesla, similar to @4Super9. There is a glitch which has resulted in missing few supercharger dots in the new map, as they didn't transfer over correctly. Please see the email below, great news for people traveling from Canada/Detroit to Chicago, Detroit/Cleveland to Buffalo (US route) (@neroden), and people with 60 kWh. It seems we (include me as well) probably over reacted again. I agree with @SFOturtle, even though the supercharger rollout is delayed a bit, it is still years ahead of the competition. I would be happy if they can get over 100 stations before spring 2014.

Glad to see that Tesla is revising supercharger network based on actual travel needs, and willing to listen to customers feedback. As others pointed out there were/are locations/route which doesn't make sense. I think we need to keep giving our feedback, as the company may not have good idea about actual travel in certain parts in cold weather. Though I just saw a company Model S in Detroit, they may be either scouting locations or trial trip on the route to decide need/location of a supercharger. I believe 2014 will be a new era for Tesla owners, and we will see a lot of Model S traveling cross country. How's that to change people's perspective?

Thank you very much for your email and feedback.

As you saw, we updated our maps yesterday and there are a few dots that did not transfer over in the process. The dot showing the Detroit to St. Joseph route along I-94 is one of the routes that was accidentally left off of the map and is being corrected on the backend. This route is certainly a priority for us and you will be able to drive from Detroit/Canada to Chicago as planned in 2014. We do also plan to include a route that enables Cleveland to Buffalo—stay tuned for more on that in 2014.

Your intuition is correct and you will be happy to know that we are keeping station density to roughly 130 miles apart to account for energy usage in a 60kWh battery in all winter conditions and elevation. We greatly appreciate your feedback; feel free to email us directly at [email protected] with any additional questions.

If you have specific location suggestions for future sites, please tell us about them here—our developers use this database first when scouting new Supercharger locations.

Keep checking our website for new site announcements (there are lots more coming soon across the US!). Again, we appreciate your enthusiasm in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thanks,
The Tesla Supercharger Team

Last edited:
The map is updated again. Many locations came back, including Jackson. However it will be delayed into 2014 along with Lansing, Muskegon and Bay City. So travel from Detroit/Canada to Chicago will have to be done through Maumee-Angola-Mishawaka supercharger locations.

@mknox
Mine has only done 4000 miles, and range loss will may come into play later. I think the distance between the supercharger needs to be less than 130 miles, so folks with 60 kWh can travel in winter conditions. You probably know this already, but best place to find J1772 along I-94 is Ann Arbor (see below). Western Michigan in Kalamazoo has few (See the pic below, courtesy @vbsdan). Lansing on I-69 also has plenty of charging stations, for travel through Sarnia/Port Huron.

image.jpg

@J in MN
You are right there are quite a few L2 stations in Ann Arbor. One of the spots that I like is the parking garage on Ann & Main. Easy walk to all the restaurants. There are also few other near the Main Street, one is on Liberty and 5th avenue and another one is on Maynard street. All on plugshare and within 2 blocks walk to restaurants. If you prefer not to enter the city at all, then there is a good one at Washtenaw Community College just off US-24. They had organized Plug-In Day event this year in Ann Arbor. Nothing around it though. Please see the link below.
National Plug In Day - Ann Arbor

Last edited:
I just tried the supercharger today. Very cool. I was coming from Chicago so I didn't drive on the bridge over the highway to get to the supercharger. I looked at it as I turned onto Niles Rd. It is narrow. Not sure there is a sidewalk so walking over it to get to the gas station or the apple barn may not be possible. Can the next supercharger users confirm this? I won't be back to michigan for a number of days.

When you charged at the Michigan Super Charger (or any SC), how many kW did you pull? 90? 120? Also, what VIN are you? I ask because there is an on going discussion if Signature cars (like mine) and early VINs are limited to 90kw. I'd like to know, but I am unwilling to drive 170 miles to find out :smile:

Last edited:
When you charged at the Michigan Super Charger (or any SC), how many kW did you pull? 90? 120? Also, what VIN are you? I ask because there is an on going discussion if Signature cars (like mine) and early VINs are limited to 90kw. I'd like to know, but I am unwilling to drive 170 mikes to find out :smile:

Hi,

My VIN is ~2500 and the car (P85) was delivered in 2012. So, it is a fairly early car. It was from memory rating at just under 400 volts and just under 300 amps. I started charging with about 90 rated miles on the battery pack. Does that help? I haven't been back yet to the supercharger as work is keeping here in Chicago which is my main residence.

Hi,

My VIN is ~2500 and the car (P85) was delivered in 2012. So, it is a fairly early car. It was from memory rating at just under 400 volts and just under 300 amps. I started charging with about 90 rated miles on the battery pack. Does that help? I haven't been back yet to the supercharger as work is keeping here in Chicago which is my main residence.

You were getting almost 120 kW, 400 Volts x 300 Amps = 120 kW. Getting that on VIN ~xx2500 is a good reference point. Thanks!

Hi,

Yes. Cottonwood beat me to it. Thanks!

No signs of additional Supercharger activity yet. All new Michigan Superchargers have been pushed back a year, but you can still travel east into Canada, south into Ohio, or west into Indiana and beyond. Routes to Lansing, Grand Rapids, and Saginaw are due this year, but the sites up north (which I've had people cite as the reason for delaying a Tesla purchase) aren't due until next year unfortunately. There are of course campsites and a couple destination chargers, but actual Superchargers up north will really open up the state.

Any updates on supercharger developments? I may end up moving here later this year and hope to take the Tesla with me!

Where in Michigan do you plan on moving? Michigan was pushed back due to the updated build-outs (I10, I35, I70, I80, and I90), and should have 4 or 5 in the next 9 to 12 months (Lansing, Ann Arbor, Bay City, Muskegon, and Mashall-area).