Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For all you owners - is it best to order with air suspension or regular. its the only choice i am really debating.
I don't have any first-hand advice since I don't have mine yet. I went with air largely because I wanted the experience for a more informed decision with my next car. Also for snow and easier loading/unloading, among other little advantages. I haven't heard of any failures and I'm pretty sure they're covered under warranty, so reliability isn't a major concern for me.

For all you owners - is it best to order with air suspension or regular. its the only choice i am really debating.

I got the air suspension on mine and still feel it was the right decision. I put snow tires on the car and drove it through the winter. There were times that raising the suspension helped get through some of the deeper snow. There are also some parking lots I frequent where the car can scrape the curbs if left at standard height. I am sure I could find other parking spots, but since I have it, might as well us it.

I have driven more of the air than the standard but I find the standard rides on the firmer side. The air takes the peak off of a bump but still is felt with the air, albeit not as much.

Also the standard coil ride height is on the higher side. and you can see more of a gap between the top of the tire and the car. I like the look of the air since it rides lower.

The tire camber is set according to the standard coil car. So tire wear is less. The air when it goes to the lowest setting sets the camber more negative which increases tire wear.

I went back and forth with this also and decided to get the air (did not order yet). My most indecision is with the P85 and the P85+. I'm leaning towards the P85 since I think 21 inch tires are too low profile for Michigan (potholes and rough roads). But they handle nice.

- - - Updated - - -

@Phoster.
Have you ever driven 21 inch wheels on a Tesla in Holland?

As in my post before this one , I'm almost decided on the P85 with no plus but still comtemplating.

@rainman

No I have not had an opportunity to drive 21 inch wheels in this area. Although I like the look of them and I am sure that the improved traction would be fun; I had the same concerns about durability and tread wear given the "quality" of the roads we have here.

New to the forum and looking forward to joining the club. Just waiting to close on a new house before I can place my order in mid-July.

As for others, since we don't have a service center here in MI, did you have the car delivered to you, or did you go to the closest service center? Is there anything else I should know about before I order?

New to the forum and looking forward to joining the club. Just waiting to close on a new house before I can place my order in mid-July.

As for others, since we don't have a service center here in MI, did you have the car delivered to you, or did you go to the closest service center? Is there anything else I should know about before I order?

A third party transportation company will delivery your Model S to your door.

Speaking of service centers, has there been any news regarding the Detroit area service center recently? I know at least some employees were hired and working at other locations for the time being, but now we're already halfway through 2014 and still don't have the service center that was originally promised by the end of last year. I'm beginning to question if it will exist even by the time my Model X arrives.

Speaking of service centers, has there been any news regarding the Detroit area service center recently? I know at least some employees were hired and working at other locations for the time being, but now we're already halfway through 2014 and still don't have the service center that was originally promised by the end of last year. I'm beginning to question if it will exist even by the time my Model X arrives.

Michigan law prohibits a manufacturer from engaging in direct sales and from owning a service center. There are Tesla technicians present in Michigan that will service your car at your home, work, etc. And Tesla's technicians are really good. However, Michigan's statute does not allow a manufacturer to directly sell or service it's product.

Michigan Legislature - Section 445.1574

Yeah, I figured we're in a tough situation here given the presence of so many auto companies. The dealers must be extra worried about technical centers carrying out work on customer vehicles and stealing their business. It sounds even worse than Texas, and there is little chance of getting the laws changed that they haven't even tried. A minor inconvenience, but worth it to show the Detroit 3 what they should be building.

It was delivered, though since my street and driveway are too tight for a multi-car carrier, I gave the truck driver the address for the local Meijer and the best area of the parking lot.

Here's what my DS told me on the 16th when I asked: "Detroit Service Center is a surprise. Or at least that’s what I am telling people because we don’t have any definite plans"

Michigan law prohibits a manufacturer from engaging in direct sales and from owning a service center. There are Tesla technicians present in Michigan that will service your car at your home, work, etc. And Tesla's technicians are really good. However, Michigan's statute does not allow a manufacturer to directly sell or service it's product.

Michigan Legislature - Section 445.1574
First time I heard about that. Clearly from NADA. Maybe that's why the Detroit SC is a surprise, because Tesla doesn't know how long it will take to fix the law.

My car went to the Chicago Service Center for quality checks and prep, then was delivered to my house on a Saturday. The delivery guy was very professional. He even laid a clean towel on the door of the car where he rested his arm while backing it off the truck.
20140607_165111.jpg

Saline Centic Festival

Congratulations AndroidDream and Pilot_51 on the delivery! Hope to see the car soon in upcoming events.

To all owners in Michigan,

Saline Celtic Festival is on Saturday, July 12. Dan had displayed his car last time. Organizers would like to showcase Tesla again in a dedicated display. I am working that weekend, so won't be able to make it. Please let me know if anybody else can display their car. Tesla will have its own tent. Please see the links below for more information.

http://www.salineceltic.org/

I have had an 85k model-s since Feb 2013, and I'm now planning my first "long" distance trip from Brighton area to Chicago. I plan on stopping at the St. Joseph supercharger to fuel up. It's about 170 miles range. I've never gone that far at highway speeds. As anyone else made a similar trip to the supercharger in Michigan? I'm trying to figure out how fast I should drive. :) I always hate these first trips with the Tesla as I just don't know what to expect in terms of range. However, it's going to be amazing going to Chicago w/o gas expenses.

I have had an 85k model-s since Feb 2013, and I'm now planning my first "long" distance trip from Brighton area to Chicago. I plan on stopping at the St. Joseph supercharger to fuel up. It's about 170 miles range. I've never gone that far at highway speeds. As anyone else made a similar trip to the supercharger in Michigan? I'm trying to figure out how fast I should drive. :) I always hate these first trips with the Tesla as I just don't know what to expect in terms of range. However, it's going to be amazing going to Chicago w/o gas expenses.

While I didn't go through Michigan, I recently made a trip to Cary, IL (about an hour N/W of Chicago) from the Toronto area and back. I went via Detroit and through Indiana. I had to stay overnight in Windsor, ON in both directions due to no Superchargers in Canada yet. On the way there, I stopped at Angola, IN, Mishawaka, IN and Aurora, IL just to be safe, but on the way home I was more confident. I went straight from Cary to Angola and from there, easily made it to Detroit/Windsor. Once the Chatham, ON Supercharger is in, I could easily do the trip in a day with just two Supercharger stops (at least in the summer). FWIW, I was driving "normally" at 70 MPH + with the A/C on the whole way.

EDIT: Duh... of course I went through Michigan (crossed at Detroit after all) but meant that I headed south to Indiana and across. When we take the ICE, we cross at Port Huron and go straight across Michigan).

@tcunning

You should be absolutely fine as @mknox said. I made a trip to Chicago recently with S60, please see the link below for stats. Briefly, you will be using 25% more miles for each mile traveled, e.g. 90 miles for 75 miles traveled @ 75 mph. I had made a similar trip to Dowagiac, MI from Farmington, MI (also 170 miles) around this time last year and surprisingly was able to make it in single charge. I drove at 65 mph and was alone. Please count luggage and occupancy. Even then you should be absolutely fine. Range charge and drive to max speed. If in between if you feel running little short on range then decrease speed by 5 mph. Dan told me that energy consumption driving west is little more due to wind direction. Hope this answers your question.

Michigan Tesla Owners - Page 21 (also has a trip to MD by @ohaq)

Another trip to Traverse City and Leelanau Peninsula. It wasn't on supercharger, but just to give you rough idea about energy consumption at highway speeds.

Michigan Tesla Owners - Page 15

Few other trips in MI.

Michigan Tesla Owners - Page 12 (Trips made by @michiganmodels and @greencharge)

Last edited:

You will have no problem making it to Chicago from Brighton if you stop at St. Joe's. The weather is ideal for long distance travel. For example, I made the trip from Birmingham to Northport, MI last weekend. Typically, I stop at the Old Town Parking Deck in Traverse City to charge. However, all 5 Charge Point Chargers were inoperable, and I had to make the trip on a single charge. I made it with 30-35 miles left (9 "Rated Miles" left). You'll be fine. Enjoy the drive and the weather.

Also, anyone needing to charge in Traverse City should phone first. The Old Town Parking Deck chargers were inoperable as of Monday June 30th.

Trip to Northport:
IMG_4798.JPG

Return Trip:

Attachments

• IMG_4799.JPG
    IMG_4799.JPG
    955.7 KB · Views: 264