Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wow North Dakota getting some lovin after all this time !! Hopefully Saskatchewan is next.

Well with Alexandria, MN, Fargo, ND and Pembina, ND, as well as the two hints about locations west of Winnipeg, MB, I'm thinking that Tesla has people looking to make the connection all the way to Calgary, AB.

I think that Tesla prefers to extend the network instead of building isolated Superchargers, so they may also head east from Calgary, AB as they build out of Winnipeg, MB.

Reactions: Chuq
Well with Alexandria, MN, Fargo, ND and Pembina, ND, as well as the two hints about locations west of Winnipeg, MB, I'm thinking that Tesla has people looking to make the connection all the way to Calgary, AB.

I think that Tesla prefers to extend the network instead of building isolated Superchargers, so they may also head east from Calgary, AB as they build out of Winnipeg, MB.

yeah !! and assume the permits west on I94 are imminent as well; to connect that missing piece

the connection from Calgary to Minneapolis is perfect for us Canucks that want to travel across; the shortest route is through the northern states; northern Ontario over lake superior is gorgeous but man oh man it's a long ass drive ...

yeah !! and assume the permits west on I94 are imminent as well; to connect that missing piece

the connection from Calgary to Minneapolis is perfect for us Canucks that want to travel across; the shortest route is through the northern states; northern Ontario over lake superior is gorgeous but man oh man it's a long ass drive ...
I do note that Google's fastest route is actually to turn right at Moose Jaw, SK. Is that the route or would people stick to the TCH to Winnipeg, MB? Adds about an hour...

With a Tesla, you'll just have to go through Winnipeg or at least Brandon. It's gonna be a long time before there are superchargers in places like Williston or Minot.

Even once there are more superchargers in ND, it would probably still be worth it to go the route via Winnipeg. The Moose Jaw to Jamestown section is a long stretch of single lane, undivided highway with a fair amount of truck traffic, stop signs, and speed restrictions.

Through Winnipeg, the entire drive is on twinned highways with higher speed limits. That being said, you'd amost certainly get through the border check at Portal quicker than at Emerson/Pembina.

• Informative
Reactions: lightfoot3b
Congrats! Let’s see if you might find it.
The permit is for the Coral centre which is a great spot it has a Starbucks, Montana's, Safeway, Wallmart, Home Depot and numerous other businesses. Easy place to kill some time.

This is probably not the right place but I have heard that Parks Canada will be putting in 2 Tesla chargers at the Clear Lake townsite in Riding Mountain National Park this summer.

The permit is for the Coral centre which is a great spot it has a Starbucks, Montana's, Safeway, Wallmart, Home Depot and numerous other businesses. Easy place to kill some time.

This is probably not the right place but I have heard that Parks Canada will be putting in 2 Tesla chargers at the Clear Lake townsite in Riding Mountain National Park this summer.
Brad,

Congrats on the Model S.
We are waiting for our Model 3 (June target) and regularly travel from Winnipeg area to Clear Lake with our 2013 S.
My first road trip (2013) was to Lake of the Prairies via Carberry and Virden chargers. Ended up having to stop in Foxwarren to charge because of range anxiety.

The proposed chargers In Portage la Prairie and Brandon will be great. FYI there is a new 30 amp charger at the Brandon Shoppers mall.

If you are Clear Lake in late June - Early July maybe we can grab a pop and discuss the pros and cons of Tesla.

From that thread:

This would be the midway point between Winnipeg and Kenora so it definitely makes sense. Each leg would be slightly over 100km.

I thought it was strange when the Trans-Canada sites first appeared on the map (6-12 months ago) and there were so many of them. It's a long distance, it costs a lot to build each one, surely they are going to want to do it in as few stops as possible? Most other routes are 160-200 km between superchargers. There must be something I'm not getting...

Then I considered:
* Climate - the batteries are going to start off cold and the heaters are going to be on a lot - reducing range.
* Towing - there must be a lot of camping/hiking going on up there. Many people will be taking caravans and things with them... reducing range (more!)
* Safety - think you can't make it to the next supercharger? You may need to stop in the next town and make an emergency charge. On this route, the "next town" might *be* the next supercharger location... they don't want people stuck on the side of the road!
* Grid reliability - this is an unknown to me, so entirely speculation - are power failures common up there? Older infrastructure, falling trees .. I don't know. Tesla may be allowing for a higher likelihood of stations being down.

The fact that Tesla is entering the Model 3 era may also help - a higher density of vehicles means a higher density of locations, so they may as well get them all done now rather than in-fill later.

From that thread:
[...]
* Grid reliability - this is an unknown to me, so entirely speculation - are power failures common up there? Older infrastructure, falling trees .. I don't know. Tesla may be allowing for a higher likelihood of stations being down.
[...].

The Canadian part of the North American power grid is as stable and reliable (or maybe better) as the U.S. part.