Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Military Veteran Discount?Veteran

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a great twitter question for Mr. Musk. Tesla is has stated in the past how much they appreciate our veterans, but realistically, since Tesla is still [technically] in the red and trying to eek out every dollar they can on initial Model 3 sales, I don't expect any discounts for anyone. Not even employee discounts.

MM3
USAF Retired.

Reactions: C141medic
What car companies have you been shopping at that offer 2% 3% or even 5% off the price of a new vehicle and now what was it you where looking for? 10% off!?!?!

Ford offers $500 bucks
Honda offers $500 bucks
Hyundai offers $500 bucks
Toyota hey they offer $500 bucks too

sure looks like a trend to me!

10% off a burger and fries sure... 10% off a screwdriver at lowes or home depot okay... 10% off the full price of a big ticket item like a car not a chance.

What car companies have you been shopping at that offer 2% 3% or even 5% off the price of a new vehicle and now what was it you where looking for? 10% off!?!?!

Ford offers $500 bucks
Honda offers $500 bucks

10% off a burger and fries sure... 10% off a screwdriver at lowes or home depot okay... 10% off the full price of a big ticket item like a car not a chance.
I'll take $500 thank you.....

Ford offers $500 bucks
Honda offers $500 bucks

Now that is very different over here. Discounts on new car sales are very common. Practically no one pays list price. Depending on the marque and model, discounts can easily range from 10% to over 30%. Especially when a next generation model is imminent, discounts on the still available predecessor can be massive. Even on high-end models.

Tesla is very special in that respect, because not giving any discounts is highly unusual for a carmaker over here. Only luxury brands like Ferrari, Bentley, Rolls, etc. usually have such a policy. I am sure that is one of the reasons why Tesla is selling far less cars over here than they had hoped for originally.

Note that I am neither for nor against discounts per se. It's just a matter of fact that Germans typically aren't used to not getting discounts when buying a car.

Nice picture! Thank you for your service, Soldier. My experience returning from Afghanistan was very different, and for the better. A different time.

That said... I'm not in favor of special treatment for service members.
I don't always feel comfortable accepting retailer veteran discounts, especially since I'm not a combat vet. I take them anyway.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte and Tanquen
I'm a Navy vet. Saw bombed out oil tankers during the Iran/Iraq war when we were in the Gulf of Oman in 1984. Hit home when I saw that what our ship was over there for. Keep the petrol flowing. Understandable given our complete dependency on it at the time, and not much less so now.

Would please me much if our brothers and sisters in arms someday never have to go into harm's way to defend oil trade routes.Tesla is but one link in a comprehensive process to wean ourselves of toxic and geopolitically volatile energy sources. Transition will not be easy or quick, but what I've seen with the amazing reception of the Model 3 is encouraging, because many are motivated by what Tesla's "secret mission" stands for. Sure, not everyone who wants the car has ditching petrol as high on their motivation list. No problem. And to me that's part of the Tesla genius. Get folks excited about a fantastic product without much of the entail seen with typical "green" approaches (weirdmobiles and the like) and by doing so move the Tesla "secret mission" forward.

Being as I am a US Army Vietnam Veteran, I wonder if Tesla would offer a military veterans discount?.....Burger King gives me 10%:)

I'm a USAF veteran. No discount. However, Tesla does have a recruiting program to HIRE veterans if you know any that are looking for a job. They even have a wrapped Model S for when they go out to military bases. I saw it here in San Diego a few weeks ago actually when I was picking up my car.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I don't always feel comfortable accepting retailer veteran discounts, especially since I'm not a combat vet. I take them anyway.

Hillsboro, OR??? I attended Pacific University for grad school in Hillsboro! Nice place, nice people. I've always been self-conscious of veteran discounts as well. I volunteered to serve; volunteered for my time in Kandahar. Pretty sure the wife won't allow it to happen again (not without a small war). Receiving a benefit just because I signed up doesn't sit right with me.

Still... if this whole Army thing doesn't work out, I'm calling Tesla :)

Reactions: doublejj
Thank you all for your service. I was of age when President Carter instituted a voluntary armed force and naturally I bypassed the services. In retrospect I think I missed out on the fun!

I have a number of friends who are nearing their second retirement check, and I'm more re than happy to pay it even if it means I don't get Social Security myself. Any vet has earned that right.

I believe we owe a lot of respect to our veterans and even more to our disabled vets who were injured in the line of duty. There are a lot of other groups we also owe a lot to. For examples how about police and firemen who risk their life everyday. How about federal agents who also risk their life for us? Even though most teachers don't risk their life each day they are generally underpayed and yet have the future of the country in their hands. How about senior citizens many of who have to live on nothing but social security? How about government workers in general at the local, state and federal level?

The list goes on and on. I know Florida goes above and beyond when it comes to giving vets special benefits like no property tax for totally disabled disabled vets as an example. I know many other states provide similar benefits.

In the end I believe Tesla is already doing a lot just by getting a reasonably price all electric vehicle with a range of over 200 miles to the market.

Reactions: doublejj
I think Tesla is doing their bit by preventing the need for future generations to go and risk their life defending the US's oil supply!

What about the mines in Afghanistan that getting plundered because of the high demand of these cars. Salute Elon Musk for putting troops at risk for your electric cars.

Why not give a discount to the troops we guard the pits and roadways for the resources to make your batteries.