Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Million Mile Battery Swap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Information regarding this battery is not released yet. There is an upcoming “Battery Day” for investors, however the dates on this are not confirmed.

We are all hopeful that the batteries can be swapped in the future, but you would likely want to purchase a new vehicle when your current battery reaches end of life at ~500,000 miles (anticipated EOL for LR batteries)

There is a lot of buzz on the "million mile battery" and they might be good for future vehicles, but frankly I don't see any need to retrofit them into existing vehicles. What's more important is to design batteries that are lower cost/weight/increased energy density. Only and extremely small group of folks are going to drive the car beyond 200k miles anyhow.

It will be great for the batteries recycled from totaled Tesla's that go into stationary storage, though.

Just curious... does anyone know if the new “million mile” battery packs will be interchangeable to swap into our existing cars?

How would anyone here know the answer to this, when Tesla hasn't released the information yet? But logic says yes there will be a swap available, but I'm sure it won't be cheap and I'm sure Tesla won't do it unless your battery is below 80% of health.

• Disagree
Reactions: Matsayz and Rocky_H
Logic actually says no, because Tesla has little incentive to refurbish your old car vs sell you a new one.

However Tesla have retrofitted our X with CCS charging, uncorked 0-60 time, and now offering MCU2 retrofits. No other car company would have done any of the above, as you say its more logical for a company to sell you a new car than support an older car.

A long long time ago Musk said battery upgrades would be offered once a significant leap in tech is achieved.

If Tesla really believe in their mission statement about green transportation offering future battery swaps in older cars is key.

We shall see what happens.

However Tesla have retrofitted our X with CCS charging, uncorked 0-60 time, and now offering MCU2 retrofits. No other car company would have done any of the above, as you say its more logical for a company to sell you a new car than support an older car.

A long long time ago Musk said battery upgrades would be offered once a significant leap in tech is achieved.

If Tesla really believe in their mission statement about green transportation offering future battery swaps in older cars is key.

We shall see what happens.

Musk says a lot of things...

Your X being in the UK (EU) may have something to do about that retrofit, you guys have a ton of laws about connectors

Reactions: AdamMacDon
There isn't anyone who will own this car for close to 1 million miles.
20-40 years of ownership isn't happening.
One person owning it the whole way isn't a requirement for a vehicle to be used for 1 million miles.

That said, with a 'million mile' battery in place the drivetrain isn't going to be the chokepoint to worry about. There are other parts of the vehicle that start to come into play. The Tesloop Model S cars have held out fairly well on this front, so a lack of ICE vibrations and chassis twisting along the longitudinal axis may help. But they also haven't reached the range of a million mile mark yet, so that aspect is still in question.

Don't bother with the million mile batteries, wait for the solid state batteries.
I expect to reach EOL on my LR pack in as short as 4 years (assuming 250K miles until it hits 75% of original capacity, and 45K+ miles/year like my first 12 months). Extremely unlikely that solid state batteries will be commercially deployed in any format by then, much less in a 75kW or higher pack in a vehicle. We'll see what Tesla's roadmap looks like but it is plausible that by then Tesla will be able to have economically feasible modules to drop in to refurb a pack.

3 of you disagreed with me saying you won't own this car in 20-40 years in order to reach 1 million miles.
That is hilarious. Zero chance.
In 5 years we're all going to be salivating over 400+ mile Teslas and counting the days until we can get rid of what we have.
Dude. I didn't bother hit the 'Disagree' icon on your flawed logic mess but Million Mile Battery Swap

It is unusual for a light duty vehicle to have a single owner from manufacturing until scrapping, unless there is a catastrophic collision or such. Even lots of "totaled" cars end up refurbished and back on the road under another owner.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
3 of you disagreed with me saying you won't own this car in 20-40 years in order to reach 1 million miles.
In 5 years we're all going to be salivating over 400+ mile Teslas and counting the days until we can get rid of what we have.

Probably not 40 but right now our family (not me personally) has a 2001 Audi TT Quattro Roadster. Not quite 20 but running just fine aside typical Audi electricals of the time with no plan to dump it any time soon. I can easily see this car in the family 5+ more years or more?

There is a lot of buzz on the "million mile battery" and they might be good for future vehicles, but frankly I don't see any need to retrofit them into existing vehicles. What's more important is to design batteries that are lower cost/weight/increased energy density. Only and extremely small group of folks are going to drive the car beyond 200k miles anyhow.
At 200K I would just buy another Tesla. Other wear factors come into play including battery pack degradation: suspension rubber, latches, seats, buttons, etc... Easiest to buy a new one with the latest tech.

What aren’t you understanding about vehicle supply chain and downmarket transactions? Just because the first owner has no interest in putting a million miles on a car doesn’t mean there’s no value in a car that can do so.

There’s a huge market in developing countries for reliable high mileage used cars.

Reactions: Msjulie
I believe the true value for a Million Mile Battery will be for commercial/fleet use.

Average consumer will see little benefit.

5 years from now, battery technology will be much advanced, and packs will be cheaper, lighter, longer lasting, more powerful and accepting more cycles.

Someone "only" getting 500,000 miles out of their pack will still be seeing great value.