Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mind change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m 4 weeks In waiting for my long range Model 3. Now I’m starting to think maybe I should change my order to the performance model... I’m not to sure what I should do.. I just received a text yesterday saying another 3-6 weeks and apparently if I ordered a performance today it would be the same.
Are the wheels and brakes worth it?
I know it’s faster but both are faster than most cars on the road and fun to drive anyway. Can anyone help??

I used to track cars a while ago when I had my Subaru wrx Sti but haven’t in a long time. I love acceleration I’m just trying to justify $8000 more, lol if it’s worth it lol

As someone who has owned many performance cars, I'll be the first to tell you to keep your order of LR AWD. It is faster than 98% of the cars on the road so the extra $8K is just about boosting your ego.

Now, if you really want the speed to beat 99% of the cars, then add the acceleration boost upgrade for $2K.

IMO, the performance model isn't worth it unless $8K constitutes a small percentage of your net worth. Save that money and invest it in Tesla stocks. :D

More than a few fellow M3 owners I've seen have tracked their STi's in the past including me. Those days are gone for me, I just don't have the time for the hobby, but I do still love having a car that has amazing acceleration.

For me, just because I'm cheap, I probably coudn't justify $8k to get that difference in acceleration. I got the stealth when they were under $50k. At that price, it was a no brainer...I assume there are no such deals anymore?

Reactions: Agnstodds
As an owner of a long range all-wheel-drive model three, I can tell you it’s an incredible drive.

I am a tech geek, however, and I’m very jealous of those who have track mode. Not sure how often I would get to use it, but it looks like an off a lot of fun.

Another consideration: LRAWD comes with smaller wheels that will be more resilient if you accidentally hit a pothole, and I would imagine that it has a bit of a more refined, comfortable ride from that extra rubber as well. If you live in an area like NYC etc. with lots of potholes and uneven pavement, this could make a big difference in your daily experience of the car, as well as avoiding some hassles with bent rims or even flats.

While I sometimes crave the acceleration of the Performance, I cannot justify the price increase for a speed boost that I rarely would use. 40mph+ is where I spend most of my time, and the variant across the Tesla line (SR+ - P) isn't that different once you get at higher speeds.

Last edited:
Reactions: kmacm20
From the YouTube videos, it’s a noticeable difference in power.

Fred

About half that difference with the boost on the AWD though.

So it comes down to is the other half of the difference worth $6000.

If one is planning to track the car- Yes, it is. Because you get track mode. You can always sell the boat anchor 20s for better/lighter wheels.

If one is not planning to track the car then IMHO no it's not- because the brakes make no difference on the street, the wheels are worse so you're back to needing to replace them anyway... so all you're really getting for $6000 is a roughly 0.5 second reduction in 0-60

Reactions: Arctic_White