Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minnesota Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

Minnesota desired SuperCharger locations (General location)

• Minneapolis/St. Paul

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • Rochester

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Duluth

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • St. Cloud

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • Mankato

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Winona

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Bemidji

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Brainerd

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Fargo (ND)

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 18 24.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My top priority for a new SC would be V3 in Albert Lea or just slightly south of there into Iowa like in Clear Lake, IA. Our S90D doesn't quite have the range to make it from the Twin Cities to Waterloo on 1 charge except in ideal summer conditions. And Albert Lea being small & V2 is a slow stop.
I'm with you. I make the Waterloo to twin cities trip often. I know the old Albert Lea superchargers that were at a hotel/HyVee had some reliability issues, but it would have been nice if they stayed because the new but already outdated V2s are busy on holidays and weekends.

63/Rochester route may be a little better because it's less miles and slower speed limits.

Owatonna is nice in case of emergency, but kind of worthless because it's too close to the cities and Albert Lea.

Reactions: hybridbear
The new V3 Owatonna doesn’t help?
Going north coming home it does. On a trip a couple weeks ago the trip planner routed us Waterloo > Albert Lea > home, but while driving as we neared Albert Lea I added Owatonna as a stop & told it to remove charging stops forcing the nav to skip Albert Lea. It predicted we could make it to Owatonna at 5% so we skipped Albert Lea & went there. That saved time vs charging at Albert Lea, especially since at that moment Albert Lea was busy & we would've had to share power resulting in a very slow charge.

But going south Owatonna is no help. On the same road trip in late November mentioned above when going south we skipped Albert Lea because at that point we still had around 50% battery & the trip planner predicted we'd arrive in Waterloo with 13%. But then it got dark & the wind changed directions as we crossed into Iowa. We ended up having to slow down to 60-65 MPH & turn off the heat to end up arriving at the Waterloo SC at 3%. Unfortunately our legacy car has been ignored for all the recent trip planner updates so our trip planner doesn't take into account the fact that the wind direction was going to change as we crossed from MN into IA so it was unrealistically optimistic.

• Helpful
Reactions: MattChristian
My top priority for a new SC would be V3 in Albert Lea or just slightly south of there into Iowa like in Clear Lake, IA. Our S90D doesn't quite have the range to make it from the Twin Cities to Waterloo on 1 charge except in ideal summer conditions. And Albert Lea being small & V2 is a slow stop.

Can you not just hit up the Dows SC, and then take 20 over to Waterloo?

PlugShare shows a 240kw CCS, 2 dispensers, that is going into the Ford dealer in Eveleth/Virginia. The listing doesn’t say if it will be available to the public or other details.

I hope that as Ford builds out their EV dealer network it won’t be so piecemeal.

Now that Worthington is online, nothing is permitted or under construction in MN, and nothing is listed as coming soon on Tesla's website.

The sites available to vote on the current Supercharger voting cycle are:
  • International Falls
  • Grand Marais
  • Virginia
  • St. Cloud
  • Lakeville
  • Chanhassen
My hope is that Virginia is next, for easier access to Ely, though I can see additional capacity to the Twin Cities coming next as well. Grand Marais seems less likely now that Tofte is online, and I wouldn't anticpate International Falls being built before Virginia.

• Disagree
Reactions: bpobill
Virginia is a pressing need, IMHO. HWY 53 needs a supercharger to open up the northern part of the state, and something around Virginia would be the logical place to do it.

The metro has enough, though I still think something in Burnsville or Lakeville south of the split would be nice, it's not a pressing need like the complete lack of charging availability up north. Even though I live in Owatonna, I think that location was daft given proximity to Albert Lea charger...

I said this in another thread….but there is now a 240kw CCS in Eveleth/Virgina, at the Ford dealer.

I don’t know about the accessibility, but it does have a credit card reader, which suggests public access. It just came online it appears.

It is shown on PlugShare.

Reactions: theflyer
I'm all for adding new locations, but I'd love to see some older locations get some love too. Duluth itself desperately needs a new location/charger set up, maybe one up the hill but sticking with the 35 corridor would make sense. Hinckley could use an upgrade as well, which is off 35. Both those locations are some of the OG's in the state.

Otherwise yeah, Virginia and Grand Rapids should be the next new locations for sure.

I posted this in one of the other MN threads…

MN currently has no new superchargers planned (based on available public info).
I hope MN will get 7+ new superchargers in 2024, but now that MN has a pretty good geographic distribution of superchargers, I am just not seeing Tesla thinking that MN is grossly underserved compared to other states with higher concentration of Teslas.
I can reasonably see these possibilities: Virginia, Grand Rapids, Lakeville, Vadnias Heights, Eden Prairie, Brainerd (Baxter upgrade), Red Wing
Maybe also: St. Cloud, Glencoe, Duluth (upgrade), Grand Marais, Annandale, Inver Grove Heights.
But, I will put my fictitious $1 in the 2024 supercharger estimate pool for “7”. :)
(I do hope I am underestimating Tesla on this.)

I posted this in one of the other MN threads…

MN currently has no new superchargers planned (based on available public info).
I hope MN will get 7+ new superchargers in 2024, but now that MN has a pretty good geographic distribution of superchargers, I am just not seeing Tesla thinking that MN is grossly underserved compared to other states with higher concentration of Teslas.
I can reasonably see these possibilities: Virginia, Grand Rapids, Lakeville, Vadnias Heights, Eden Prairie, Brainerd (Baxter upgrade), Red Wing
Maybe also: St. Cloud, Glencoe, Duluth (upgrade), Grand Marais, Annandale, Inver Grove Heights.
But, I will put my fictitious $1 in the 2024 supercharger estimate pool for “7”. :)
(I do hope I am underestimating Tesla on this.)

Just be glad you aren't in Wyoming. The last supercharger to open there was Evansville in May 2018 (Wheatland was next most recent in May 2018)!

At least MN supports EVs, unlike WY. And with the fiasco in Chicago this last week, Tesla's supercharging team may focus more on cold weather climates.

The chart below shows how long it has taken for each site in MN to go from known construction to open.

1705864979762.png

Reactions: VikH
Interesting. I don't see it on PlugShare but maybe I'm missing it somehow.

That will help a ton. Thanks. Hopefully we get some more fast chargers in the area too.